650D Bilal's Build Test

Started by Mehmet Kozal, June 04, 2023, 01:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mehmet Kozal

After years I grabbed my dusty 650D and tried the latest build from Bilal. Now I am considering getting a fast enough card to try other than the lowest resolution/bit depth.

Canon 650D user. Also, Bilal Fakhouri is a hero.

DarkTrapStudio

Theses shots look great, it feels a bit like the OG bmpcc to me !

Also did you enable Fix bad pixels/Focus Dots ? Cause the Pink Dot is distracting, Im a newbie Im not sure Its that

Mehmet Kozal

Hey, thank you!

I agree DNG's coming out of ML Raw has that vibe.

I didn't use enable fix bad pixels on this video but my 650 had a dead pixel which I mapped in MLV app now and use it always with the 2nd interpolation method.
Also, I always use the "fix focus dots" setting and use chroma smoothing whenever I film in 10-bit.

DarkTrapStudio

Mehmet Kozal

Finally got a fast enough SD card. More 10-12 bit footage from 650D

https://youtu.be/B5Pf1g54g9g

ML700D

EOS 700D

Mehmet Kozal

Mehmet Kozal

DarkTrapStudio

btw When you say Bilal latest build you mean crop mood right ?

Mehmet Kozal

Yes yes. Bilal's 2023-05-09 build, using crop mood.

Mehmet Kozal

650D MLRaw High Iso Tests
Filmed in 1x3 and 10bit.
Minimal noise reduction in Resolve just to take the edge off. [Temporal 1, Spatial 10]

https://youtu.be/XKjAb-O4lZI

ML700D

can I have sample mlv raw clip of your video? I want to try.. thanks
EOS 700D

DarkTrapStudio

Hahah seems that thoses cats are the boss of the house ^^ I really like the BTS scenes as its really clean close to reality colors and contrast

also the High Iso test, you home lighting is warn yes ? Did you push the slider toward the blue a bit or is it stock non grade ?

Mehmet Kozal

Quote from: ML700D on June 25, 2023, 04:20:39 PM
can I have sample mlv raw clip of your video? I want to try.. thanks

There it is https://we.tl/t-zY1M4wMThN

Mehmet Kozal

Quote from: DarkTrapStudio on June 27, 2023, 04:11:01 AM
Hahah seems that thoses cats are the boss of the house ^^ I really like the BTS scenes as its really clean close to reality colors and contrast

also the High Iso test, you home lighting is warn yes ? Did you push the slider toward the blue a bit or is it stock non grade ?

They are indeed :) But we are lucky they all get along.
There were 2 smart bulbs and at ISO 3200 it was almost clipping on highlights. As long as you expose it to the right [ETTR], ISO 3200 is usable.
I generally set white balance to daylight in Resolve and then tweak it to my taste. I don't remember the grading on this but generally it goes like rec709 on Raw Tab--> CST rec709 to Arri/BMDFILM5 etc --> Arri/BMDFILM5 Rec709 LUT.

DarkTrapStudio

Thanks man, do you use ETTR because you used to it or does the EOS CMOS sensor have less dynamic in the shadows ?

DarkTrapStudio

Damn 10bit really have a film look on yours shots at least, I mean 2000-2010 films

DarkTrapStudio

Ive tested to see how it handled noise color balanced / graded a tiny bit without denoising (never used it and only I like to know how works thing before using it) and Its not bad, imo Its only the chroma of the noise that is distracting

Im a newbie never worked with 1x3 video, how to you stretch the image ? I used zoom (X1 Y0.33) and fill in the Speed and Scale menu of the cut page I don't know If Its good

Exported H265 automatic bitrate UHD
Graded in HDR color processing mode with Rec709 Color Space output, no other transformation

https://we.tl/t-Ej5mN2bfTp

ML700D

Quote from: Mehmet Kozal on June 28, 2023, 12:13:00 PM
There it is https://we.tl/t-zY1M4wMThN

thanks a lot.. 1.7Gb is too much 😁

I thought this is MLV raw clip..
EOS 700D

ML700D

here I use MLVapp.. your 650d is better than my 700d at iso 3200 the image is worse in room light
your image is good without noise reduction i think..
EOS 700D

DarkTrapStudio

Is it me or because Its ETTR the image has far more dynamic in the highlights than the shadows ?

DarkTrapStudio

Quote from: ML700D on June 29, 2023, 02:32:43 PM
here I use MLVapp.. your 650d is better than my 700d at iso 3200 the image is worse in room light

Look the shadows, the lights is pretty strong that may be why

Also, how do you import DNG frames into MLV ?

ML700D

Quote from: DarkTrapStudio on June 29, 2023, 03:33:48 PM
Look the shadows, the lights is pretty strong that may be why

Also, how do you import DNG frames into MLV ?
in mlvapp I use file>transcode and import then chose file
but I've got an error when using transcode folder
EOS 700D

Mehmet Kozal

Quotedo you use ETTR because you used to it or does the EOS CMOS sensor have less dynamic in the shadows ?

ETTR is a common practice in the industry with digital cameras depending of the sensor and log image. But with the Raw data, I think ETTR should always be used for clean/usable images. it increases usable dynamic range, and because it is linear, it is safer than LOG or GAMMA curves which have a toe and shoulder in their designed curves. So there is no risk that skin tones will bleed into the shoulder. We use it on Sony cameras, especially since their signal-to-noise ratio is high.

QuoteGraded in HDR color processing mode with Rec709 Color Space output, no other transformation

I think it is totally usable without noise reduction. Good stuff.

Quotethanks a lot.. 1.7Gb is too much I thought this is MLV raw clip..

I don't keep the mlv clips sorry. But lossless dng's are smaller in size I think than mlv clips.

QuoteI'm a newbie never worked with 1x3 video, how to you stretch the image?

I select "stretch" in the scaling panel, then drop the zoom Y from 1.00 to 0.758 for all clips.

ML700D

Quote from: Mehmet Kozal on June 29, 2023, 04:25:27 PM
I don't keep the mlv clips sorry. But lossless dng's are smaller in size I think than mlv clips.

Ok. thanks. I will try to transcode it using mlvapp
EOS 700D