MLVFS and card spanning continues to be problematic...

Started by 70MM13, July 04, 2023, 01:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70MM13

here's a video i shot at <> 3400*1700, and there is a single frame "glitch" at about 7 or 8 minutes from mlvfs.  using separate card readers for each card definitely helped, but it is still not perfect.  this "bad frame" happened repeatedly, no matter how many times i rendered, and also across reboots of the pc.

the strange thing is that the frame is correct when scrubbing in resolve, but rendering always results in the error.

this setup is so precarious that it isn't surprising there are such issues.  it's a real drag, because it is such an amazing timesaver when it is working...

i may try different versions of dokan again to see if there's a "solution" but it may be related to so many other factors, including the peculiarities of this particular build of windows, or card reader drivers, or quantum effects due to the sun's corona, etc.

i was considering rendering the single frame as a tiff and then surgically inserting it, but even rendering as tiff resulted in the error!

https://youtu.be/We7suAl_X-w

names_are_hard

This possibly might be a useful case to find and isolate the problem.  If you extract out just a few frames around the problem, so the clip is extremely short, does it still happen?  Does it happen only with mlvfs, or also with MLVapp?

bobolee

MLVFS looks primitive compare to MLV APP.It's created in old times but few updates,the manual they provided is confusing,a lot of people having problems running on Windows 11 or 10.MLV APP is so slow in exporting something like pro res format,especially for higher resolution video,5k video exporting is so slow that it's not practical in normal usage.
EOSM,ex pro 95MB/s,NP-F970 for power,feiyu scorp pro+manual focus kit

70MM13

@names_are_hard
I'm not sure how to extract to produce new mlv and m00 files?
card spanning is the key here...

any tips appreciated!

names_are_hard

I don't know either, though I know it's possible.  You should have one giant file (per card I assume) and a bunch of tiny files.  The tiny files describe where the real data is in the giant file.

Possibly mlv-dump can extract this?  Masc?  Ilia?  The goal here is to extract specific frames into an equivalent but much smaller file(s), to test if the bad frame still occurs, and if so there's a nice small test file to diagnose the problem.

70MM13

Well, it looks like it's the coronal quantum interference...

I tried it again and it worked.

The only difference is the passing of a couple of days.

I power cycled the PC and it failed again.

I power cycled again and it worked.

Random...

The moral of the story is any windows users having a similar issue should just power cycle until it works!

names_are_hard

Ah well, hard to say then.  If you ever get a repeatable case with a small file, it might be worth sharing it.