Crop mood - WYSIWYG Edition (650D / 700D / EOS M / 100D)

Started by theBilalFakhouri, April 01, 2023, 06:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Full size and micro performance is the same

About compatible cards: https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/cards_240mhz
Performance hardly makes a difference. They all do > 90 MByte/s in benchmark and Lexar 1667x tops at over 100. Results are within 10 percent range.
10 percent in bandwidth translates to less than 5 percent difference in horizontal resolution and that is nothing to write home about.
We are far away from reaching card's write limit (140 MByte/s according to specs). Maybe Bilal will succeed in unlocking it but we can't know.

ATM (and for a while) my price/performance favorite is Samsung EVO Plus 256 GB. There is a deal in Germany and you can grab one for 13.99 Euro including shipping.

bern047

I am using Samsung plus pro, some excellent prices on Amazon, I got myself 256gb and 512gb they work great at half the price of Sandisk Extreme Pro

2blackbar

Thanks Walt, bought 256 samsung EVO +
--
Ok card arrrived, i am able to get 3k  in 2.40:1 ratio , about 40 seconds ,8-11bits, sometimes not even 5 seconds but its definitely possible  just turn off histogram as its the cause of recording getting cut off much sooner,3072x1286 res.
With 3k 2.35:1 im at 9 secs at 3072x1308.
2012 cam for 120 euro and 3k raw, its pretty incredible even if its crop , its amazing.
I like the 1440 res a lot cause its kinda like 16mm film , with C mount works nicely, i wish there was more resolution choices above 1440 like 1600 , so its square 4:3 like 16mm film footage.

artem

Quote from: Walter Schulz on September 05, 2023, 01:17:29 AM
ATM (and for a while) my price/performance favorite is Samsung EVO Plus 256 GB.

Walter, could you tell me please is it (a bit) slower then Sandisk Extreme pro 200mb? Or the same? I have two 128Gb Sandisk, and want to buy more before vacation (laptop will not be on hand during daytime, and 12bit 5,2k eats space very fast). I'm a fresh user of eos m, so I test it these days, and 14 bit is unstable sometimes with my settings. Is it possible to record about 20 seconds on maximal quality (in a bright day or shiny docks at night) with Samsung Evo plus/Pro plus? Samsung prices are much reasonable.

UPD: I've found two years old warning on reddit:
>> DON'T BUY Samsung EVO Plus 130mb/s
>> If you want to record Raw Video, don't buy the Samsung EVO Plus 130mb/s.
>> You can not overclock at the moment and will get a max of 38mbit/s on the EOS M.
>> Rather buy a Kingston 95mb/s or Sandisk extreme pro 170/95mb/s

Is it obsolete?..

Walter Schulz

artem

Oops, didn't notice the hidden part of the discussion there. But now I see, and I'm annoyed:

Works at 160MHz with EOS M and writes at 67 MByte/s. 192 MHz is dropping to 20 MByte and 240 MHz (if it loads at all), too.

So 67 MByte/s is maximum this card can suggest? (sorry for stupid questions, maybe new builds have fixed and boosted speed or so)

Walter Schulz

artem

Results are within 10 percent range. 10 percent in bandwidth translates to less than 5 percent difference in horizontal resolution
This was a bit unclear with my so-so English. I felt I can miss some nuances which are obvious for you and not for me. Thank you for sending me back to this message (and for "nothing to write home about", a new idiom for me). I'll risk to grab a couple of Samsung pro plus 256, as an addition to my Sandisk128 Extreme Pro.

bobolee

MOD intervention: User is giving incorrect information. I just tested my Samsung PRO Plus 256 GB (2021 edition, MB-SD256K) with Mood Crop 2023Aug19 build and recorded for 5:03 with manual stop. Recording size is 25,569.4 MByte resulting in 84.3 MByte/s. Benchmark is showing > 90 MByte/s in PLAY-PH mode (cam in photo mode).

=============Original post below========================================

Quote from: artem on September 09, 2023, 01:48:24 AM
I'll risk to grab a couple of Samsung pro plus 256, as an addition to my Sandisk128 Extreme Pro.
This Samsung card is not compatible with overclocking on eos m,don't buy it!
EOSM,ex pro 95MB/s,NP-F970 for power,feiyu scorp pro+manual focus kit

gabriielangel

Quote from: bobolee on September 17, 2023, 08:00:51 PM
MOD intervention: User is giving incorrect information. I just tested my Samsung PRO Plus 256 GB (2021 edition, MB-SD256K) with Mood Crop 2023Aug19 build and recorded for 5:03 with manual stop. Recording size is 25,569.4 MByte resulting in 84.3 MByte/s. Benchmark is showing > 90 MByte/s in PLAY-PH mode (cam in photo mode).

=============Original post below========================================

This Samsung card is not compatible with overclocking on eos m,don't buy it!

MOD: Without the Recording Resolution, Bitrate, and a description or a screenshot of the scene you shot, your statement can be misleading.

For example:

a Sandisk Extreme 256GB 170 MB/s will show 94.1 and 95.1 MB/s write speeds in the benchmark;
a Sandisk Extreme Pro 256GB 200 MB/s will show 94.8 and 95 MB/s.

but at 2.8k/14 bits, only the Sandisk Extreme Pro will be able to record long takes in a reliable fashion in difficult / well exposed  scenes.
In order to do so at -1 EV (1.0 showing on the histogram) , a card needs to be able to handle 85 MB/s continuously and tolerate 93 MB/s peaks (And those peaks can last up to 4-5 seconds on the Extreme Pro).

The benchmark doesn't give you the whole picture. In order for any  speed figures to be really meaningful for actual use, comparison tests between cards shall be made by recording the same scene with identical parameters.

Recording a dynamic scene at -4 EV / 10 Bits will work with a lot of cards, but the noise level and subpar resulting image will seriously misrepresent the actual capabilities of the cam...

Performance hardly makes a difference. They all do > 90 MByte/s in benchmark and Lexar 1667x tops at over 100. Results are within 10 percent range.
10 percent in bandwidth translates to less than 5 percent difference in horizontal resolution and that is nothing to write home about.

This is exact. But a 4% increase in bandwidth will give you about 1 EV of extra exposure latitude at 2.5k/14 bits. So although marginal, the gain can help mitigate camera hiccup related issues.

bobolee

I bought the card,so called benchmarks will work,speed is good,but in real shooting,it will stop in a few minutes of raw video recording.This so called Benchmark way of testing cards is misleading.

names_are_hard

Quote from: bobolee on September 21, 2023, 03:24:30 PM
I bought the card,so called benchmarks will work,speed is good,but in real shooting,it will stop in a few minutes of raw video recording.This so called Benchmark way of testing cards is misleading.

Multiple other people have this card working in a real cam, including the M, for long shots.  Not just benchmarks.

If you had said "I couldn't get this card working reliably in my cam" - that would be fine.

Saying this card doesn't work for long videos in *general*, is not true.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: bobolee on September 21, 2023, 03:24:30 PM

Your report is the only one so far having such problems.
We would like to have more details.
- Have you used Samsung's verification tool? There should be a small checkmark icon on card's back.
- Country of production?
- CID data readable. They can easily be faked but won't hurt to try.
- Have you used tools like h2testw or f3 to verify storage capacity?

bobolee

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 05, 2022, 01:21:57 PM
Yesterday I did some tests with Extreme Pro and Extreme Plus R170/W90. They perform quite the same and allowed transfer rates above 70 MByte/s. Didn't test "anamorphic" modes, though.
Samsung PRO Plus R160/W120 performed well in benchmark but really sucks trying to record with overclocking and higher transfer rates.
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=24401.75
You said you have problem with this card also,now you said I'm the only person?although ,your description is not detailed also.
I've already talked about this card in detail in other posts,you've also replied,now ,you ask for details again.Is this a AI account or what ?Fix your memory issue pls.and this is not the right thread to talk about sd cards,so ,I only share some short warnings to people.

Walter Schulz

You are quoting one year old tests. I retested with Bilal's latest sd_uhs.mo (several builds) and had no troubles at all.
You can go back in time and find "proof" only 2 specific Sandisk card types are working reliable with oc.

Right now you are the only person reporting issues and you are constantly denying giving any further details. You are claiming this card does not work "at all" while there are at least two persons having working cards
And now you are going ad honinem instead of trying to answer with details..

raul791

Hi all,

any tips in using smartphone as a monitor (Android)? There are some videos on youtube, but they are old and based on native ML, not Crop Mood.

I mainly record at 1x3 4.8k 12bit or 1x3 UHD 16:9 12bit (when I need long stable videos).

Using Canon 700D with latest Crop Mood (shutter version).

Walter Schulz

Quote from: raul791 on September 21, 2023, 06:30:46 PM
any tips in using smartphone as a monitor (Android)? There are some videos on youtube, but they are old and based on native ML, not Crop Mood.

There is no difference using any camera with HDMI output connected to HDMI capture device.
Smatrphone must support OTG, though.

raul791

Quote from: Walter Schulz on September 21, 2023, 07:27:58 PM
There is no difference using any camera with HDMI output connected to HDMI capture device.
Smatrphone must support OTG, though.

Thank you!

That's great - my phone (Poco X4 GT) support USB OTG, so I need to try it.

scriptmonkey

Hi,
How to use the options Zebras, Focus peaking or Magic Zoom? Activating them has no effect. I set Global Draw to various values but it does not help. There is an orange message about pressing INFO outside the LM menu, but it also does not change anything.

Walter Schulz

Wait a moment! "Doesn't change anything"? You are not able to toggle screens?

scriptmonkey

I can toogle screens menu/preview. I can record. Everything works, no matter if the options are enabled or not. It's only that in the preview image Focus peaking does not produce dots, Zebra does not produce zebras and Magic zoom does not produce the zoom window.

Walter Schulz

scriptmonkey

In Preview (no recording) I see the usual icons like exposure or ISO. During recording, there is only a green Camera icon, 67MB/s 17% idle and that's all. I enabled LV sharpening and it is visible (very helpful for focus).

Grognard

Quote from: scriptmonkey on September 27, 2023, 01:14:51 PM
In Preview (no recording) I see the usual icons like exposure or ISO. During recording, there is only a green Camera icon, 67MB/s 17% idle and that's all. I enabled LV sharpening and it is visible (very helpful for focus).

You need to disable "kill global draw" in raw options.

scriptmonkey

Quote from: Grognard on September 27, 2023, 05:48:28 PM
You need to disable "kill global draw" in raw options.

Kill global draw is in the state ON. The buttons disappear during recording. They are there only during the preview.

If by "disable" you mean OFF, it does not help.