Crop mood - WYSIWYG Edition (650D / 700D / EOS M / 100D)

Started by theBilalFakhouri, April 01, 2023, 06:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mythic Cinema

I have a feature recommendation/suggestion that would be really cool. An "Aspect Ratio" option for DCI 1.90:1? Could also make a DCI Mode, like the 1x3 UHD one, since they go hand in hand. DCI is the requirement to have a film displayed in cinemas/theaters with a 4K projector because it's native resolution is 4096x2160 (DCI), instead of 3840x2160 (UHD). Cinema cameras have the DCI option like the recent firmware update for Sony FX3. There are also 4K UHD and 4K DCI Blu-Rays I think.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hac-assets/4k+vs+uhd/4K-vs-UHD.jpg
x4 Full Spectrum Canon EOS M (Navy Blue) | x1 Full Spectrum Sony FX3

metamerism

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on August 20, 2023, 03:34:34 PM
In this case, focus pixel maps need to be created from scratch for 100D, I mentioned some info about this subject in eariler replies,
Sorry I don't have time to create them, but anyone can create them and there is a guide on the forum shows how to do it.

Can you post the link for the earlier replies regarding focus pixel maps on the 100D, as well as the guide on the forum? I am interested in creating the focus pixel maps.

bobolee

One stop brighter than the normal exposure on the display screen is the proper brightness of the real raw video.Enable histogram will take  more CPU usage,generate more heat,drain the battery faster,use spot meter instead.
EOSM,ex pro 95MB/s,NP-F970 for power,feiyu scorp pro+manual focus kit

Grognard

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on August 21, 2023, 10:05:15 PM
You should get the same results in any ML build or in native Canon video modes in crop mood build (by turning off crop mood module), that's how Canon designed its LiveView,
because Canon real-time preview doesn't represet how actual RAW data look like, it's lossy and it does throw some of the RAW image info

Yes is not related with the latest crop mood but the ML iso negative gain in image fine tuning has changed. I was not able to achieve a darker image on previous version.
It shoul be related with what you have changed with aewb.

I agree that real-time preview doesn't represet exactly how actual RAW data look like (e.g. DR). But with other cams which shoot raw, liveview looks the same that raw data, maybe not with all dynamic range but with the correct average exposure.
The probleme here is that the liveview is a little bit to bright compare with raw data.
By additing negative gain in liveview, the exposure in liveview is more close to what raw data really look like.

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on August 21, 2023, 10:05:15 PM
ML falsecolor relies on whatever preview is active either Framing or Real-Time.

That's why I try to reach the same level of brightness and constrast on realtime than framing. And with negative iso gain that I can add now in liveview it's really close.

Mythic Cinema

Does the LiveView work with the 1x1 and 1x3 modes? I couldn't get mine to work. Maybe I have some settings on that break it but I only really use fps override 24.0, small hacks, SD overclock, and full shutter range. I couldn't change my shutter angle either on some and everytime i hit MENU button and then go back to ML menu the shutter angle is different.

The 3x3 works good with everything for me though, I just have to move the box to get liveview working. But moving the box didnt work with other modes where the liveview is frozen. Sometimes it doesn't play the beeping sound when pushing on the arrows to move it either.

Edit: Ok The 2.5k Liveview works, but 4.4k, 4.8k, and 5.2k + some others do not. I must be doing something wrong?

raul791

Hello all,

in case of SD cards - don't buy SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB (200MB/s version). I did that mistake and had problems with continuous recording (4.8K 12bit was max and even that it was not stable at all).

It is 100% original (bought from big retailer), the speeds was about ~65mb/s write at first.

Did a low format immidiately and it was better - about ~79mb/s write speed (SD104, 240MH OC), but still have problems (early stop recording, a lot of orange/red indicators etc.).

Later I discovered that 64GB and 128GB versions have W90 max. However, the 256GB and more have W140 max, so I bought the 256GB version (original from the same retailer).

Did low format and first test - ~95mb/s write speed with the same settings! Started recording first time after testing and it is great - on the same settings (4.8K 12bit) almost all time green, even on higher exposure, much more stable, stopped (red indicator) only after super-overexposure (looking at bright window in sunny day from room inside).

If you want to buy SanDisk Extreme Pro 200MB/s version, go for 256GB or more, don't even bother with 64GB/128GB version if you want to have more stable recording.

I'm using Canon 700D body, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM kit lens with latest Crop Mood from August (shutter version).

Hope that helps!

manifestor

Hi folks, 1st post. First I wanted to thank everybody working on ML and Bilal for Crop Mood. I bought an EOS M two weeks ago (after owning an M6 for 5 years) just because of ML, after stumbling over it on youtube two weeks prior, and I am enjoying it very much, in fact I am eager to learn videography because of you.

A (maybe?) bug report: when setting the INFO button to false color, sometimes I get stuck with Canons GUI (I can trigger it with switching to photo mode and back to video mode). When I get stuck with Canons GUI in video mode, I cannot remove the GUI by pressing the INFO button, because it is still linked to false color. But pressing the INFO button triggers false color nonetheless although nothing happens, because if I trigger false color and go to the customize buttons settings and turn it off (to be able to get out of Canons GUI by pressing the INFO button again - which will work then), false color gets activated. I have to set the INFO button again to false color, to be able to deactivate it again.

Somewhere here I also read that autofocus during video can only be activated when turning small hacks off. I tried it because I am curious to see how good it will work, but ML switches to flexi single automatically when trying to change it from Canons settings. What settings could I have set wrong?

Also is there any way to save my settings in case somebody messes with them or I need to wipe my card? Or does any file on the card store all the settings?

metamerism

Request: Use LCD face sensor to stop video.

Right now you can use the LCD face (distance) sensor to start video recording. You can turn on the LCD face sensor in the Photo menu, and it will work for videos too. However, you cannot stop the video recording using the LCD face sensor.

Could you add an option to use the LCD face sensor to stop the video recording? This way we can minimise camera shake.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: manifestor on August 27, 2023, 02:26:18 AM
Also is there any way to save my settings in case somebody messes with them or I need to wipe my card? Or does any file on the card store all the settings?

ML settings are stored in ML\Settings directory/folder.

Mythic Cinema

[EOS M] LiveView (Frozen) and Recording Raw does NOT work at all with 1x3 modes while using FPS Override (Exact). I am trying to get True 24p with 1x3 modes. Is this an oversight bug and fixable, or a limitation of the camera? FPS Override only works with 1x1 and 3x3 modes, but not 1x3 (which is a shame because this is the most interesting mode to use). It may seem trivial to want 24 FPS instead of 23.976, but it is important if you are trying to match the framerate of the other cameras being used in a project that requires true 24 FPS. Thanks in advance

manifestor

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 27, 2023, 07:36:25 AM
ML settings are stored in ML\Settings directory/folder.

Thx

Quote from: manifestor on August 27, 2023, 02:26:18 AM
Somewhere here I also read that autofocus during video can only be activated when turning small hacks off. I tried it because I am curious to see how good it will work, but ML switches to flexi single automatically when trying to change it from Canons settings. What settings could I have set wrong?

Never mind, saw Bilals post about autofocus not working in crop mood.

moloch

Hello!

I am getting an error when recording in 16:9 4.5k using hdmi on the 650d. The recording has many pink frames and stops quickly, with any other mode this does not happen. It also crashes and stops recording, leaving the following .log file in the main folder.

ML ASSERT:
at mlv_lite.c:2916 (compress_task), task compress_task
lv:1 mode:3

compress_task stack: 1ab138 [1ab1c8-1aa1c8]
0x0007EB50 @ b05080:1ab168
0x0007E478 @ 7ebac:1ab138

Magic Lantern version : crop_mood.2023Aug19.650D104
Mercurial changeset   : NO HG
Built on 2023-08-19 09:00:42 UTC by bilal@DESKTOP-27BNL6E.
Free Memory  : 121K + 3337K

Danne

Quote from: Mythic Cinema on August 28, 2023, 09:49:59 PM
[EOS M] LiveView (Frozen) and Recording Raw does NOT work at all with 1x3 modes while using FPS Override (Exact). I am trying to get True 24p with 1x3 modes. Is this an oversight bug and fixable, or a limitation of the camera? FPS Override only works with 1x1 and 3x3 modes, but not 1x3 (which is a shame because this is the most interesting mode to use). It may seem trivial to want 24 FPS instead of 23.976, but it is important if you are trying to match the framerate of the other cameras being used in a project that requires true 24 FPS. Thanks in advance
Shutter fine tuning?

Mythic Cinema

Yeah, I use shutter fine tuning 1/48 (180 degrees) and shutter "full range" setting. I will have to see if disabling that and keeping the FPS Override on will work.

Danne

Mythic Cinema

I disabled "Shutter Fine-Tuning", but the 1x3 modes still don't work with "FPS Override" enabled. I can't disable FPS override because I need it to match the framerate of the other cameras and the projects I am working on. I'll have to use another mode instead, but I am just reporting this FPS Override bug with 1x3 modes in case it isn't known. Hopefully it is fixable.

Danne

Fps override is not the best solution in crop rec code as it often conflicts with fps code applied in particular presets in crop rec code. What I mean is that you should select 24 fps and use shutter fine-tuning to match you cameras outside fps override.

Mythic Cinema

As far as I know FPS Override is the only way to get true 24 FPS, but correct me if I am wrong. I need that framerate, not 23.976 / 23.98. I'll just use 1x1 or 3x3 modes when I need true 24p I guess.

Danne

YOu get equally "true" fps with shutter fine-tuning.

Mythic Cinema

Really? Not sure I understand. I use it to get 1/48 shutter, but how does it affect framerate? How can I get a flat true 24 FPS and 1/48 shutter (180 degrees) without FPS Override? If possible, or do I have to use a different shutter angle?

vastunghia

5D3 for video
70D for photo

Danne

Quote from: Mythic Cinema on August 31, 2023, 04:33:07 PM
Really? Not sure I understand. I use it to get 1/48 shutter, but how does it affect framerate? How can I get a flat true 24 FPS and 1/48 shutter (180 degrees) without FPS Override? If possible, or do I have to use a different shutter angle?
You are right. I brainfarted.
It is possible to fine tune fps directly in crop rec.c but I don't know if it is implemented. Then again, in practice I can't see it would matter too much.

falcon

Is there any possibility of getting a centered 4:3 preset?

Mythic Cinema

2blackbar

So.. i read some posts here about cards performance, anyone have the small ones ? DO they work as good as big ones?

Do they really work fine for video on M ? Whats the max res possible ? 3K crop at 24 works fine ?
Id pin this info somewhere about best /fastest cards that do work for raw video so there wont be lame questions like this in the future