Crop mood - WYSIWYG Edition (650D / 700D / EOS M / 100D)

Started by theBilalFakhouri, April 01, 2023, 06:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metamerism

Hi, are there focus pixel maps for the 100D?

I am noticing some pink focus pixel dots in the 1x1 modes (2.8K, 1440p) and 1x3 mode (1600x2040). I am using the latest MLVApp.

The dots are more obvious in the MLVApp preview, and fainter but still noticeable in the exported video.

This is a 1440p sample taken by me https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1MubiJmQ0FLGYVI1zNgGDOxqWmxPiGuVk?usp=sharing

This is an example from someone else:

Niche

Hey! Great project!

I've been having this issue with my 100D where vertical lines will appear during shooting (shown throughout the attached image, but particularly the top right corner). I had this issue with crop_rec too, and it only seems to happen when using the cropped modules. Any idea what this is or how to fix it? It happens in any cropped mode.

Teamsleepkid

Rolling shutter.. somebody was talking about it a few messages back..in my opinion that's really the last hurdle for magic lantern. If we can reduce the rolling shutter in 5k frtp. That's the grail.
EOS M

Mythic Cinema

What settings cause the 1080p Raw to have the LiveView Frozen? I can't seem to figure it out. Also I notice with 1080p Raw when I set it to 10-Bit, the LiveView still says 14-Bit on the bottom in green.
x4 Full Spectrum Canon EOS M (Navy Blue) | x1 Full Spectrum Sony FX3

michael08

hi, when I shoot through the mir 11 2/12.5 lens there is a vignetting in the upper right corner, I understand that the crop sensor is not exactly in the middle relative to the real sensor? how can I solve this problem? mode 2.8k 2880x1226

Ernani

Hi Bilal. I always enable Kill Global Draw get more reliability and continuous recording. I noticed that the different modes react differently to KGD, for example: 3x1 modes display an accurate preview on all aspect ratios with and without KGD, whereas 3x3 will ALWAYS display a full sensor preview (3:2) with KGD, no matter what aspect is picked, turning the preview unusable when Kill Global Draw is enabled.

I observed that the KGD preview will work great whenever the aspect ratio is chosen via the Crop Mood menu, but will not when the aspect must be selected from the RAW Video menu (which leads me to the conclusion that RAW Video simply overlays black bars to the preview in order to show the correct aspect, a task that is killed by KGD).

I know this is not a great deal to be bothered by, but since the HFR 3x3 modes are displayed correctly with and without KGD enabled, would it be a simple task to do the same for the regular 1080p previews?

If this is not as simple as it seems, please just ignore my whining.

And thanks a lot for all you did!

RhythmicEye

Quote from: essbe on July 31, 2023, 11:00:55 PM
Really love the crop mood and the work everyone in the magic lantern team has done to make it possible, thanks to everyone involved for that! I have used it alot and have started wondering if another mode could be added:

Anyhow I mostly use the 1x1 2.5k crop because of reasonable rolling shutter and little aliasing, the crop is acceptable when considering the colors and overall image quality from the magic lantern eos m. For me, the rolling shutter of about 24ms still requires a stabilised lens for handheld use, to look good (every mode works well on a tripod, of course). The 2.8k mode has as much rolling shutter as the 4.4k 1x3 mode (about 29ms according to ml menu), so the 4.4k seems a better overall choice because of less noise and less crop. Now I have started to wonder if there has been any experiments with smaller crops using the 1x3 mode? Would it be possible to make a 4k or smaller crop of 1x3 to get the rolling shutter closer to 20ms? A super-16mm crop (3x) in 1x3 mode could also be interesting, if possible, with even less rolling shutter. I guess the picture would be softer, and there would be some aliasing compared to the 1:1, but maybe it would be a good compromise considering the problems of the different modes, or are there other downsides?

100% agree, I can't thank the ML devs enough for all their excellent work. It's truly remarkable what is now possible with Crop Mood...even with the limitations etc

Here's a link to an excellent article on alternate ways for dealing with and minimising rolling shutter. I know it doesn't answer your questions but may be helpful for others new to the issue of rolling shutter

https://shotkit.com/rolling-shutter/

LucasFlores

Hi everyone. I need your help. I have a EOS Rebel T3i / EOS 600D. Can I use the Crop mood built? If not, can you suggest me a good alternative? Thanks so much for your help.

Walter Schulz

There is no Crop Mood for any Digic 4 design.

What do you mean by "good alternative"? Cam, build? For what purpose? Bugdet (in case of cam)? Please respond in https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=4.0

Mythic Cinema

Anyone know why the LiveView is frozen with 1080p 3x3? Or does it not have real-time preview in this mode? I have been messing with settings for a week and can't seem to get it to work. I am trying to record in raw in the lowest quality to get the most time for continuous recording and smallest file sizes. I assumed this would be the best mode for that, but not sure.

Danne

I think you need to move the rectangle a little to release preview. A hard to solve bug.

Mythic Cinema

Thanks Danne. It works. I did try that before but the screen just got messed up so I stopped messing with it, but I see how to do it now.

theBilalFakhouri

New Crop mood builds are out:
Aug.19.2023

-HDMI output resolution:

New module was added "hdmi_out.mo" which let you select HDMI output resolution which are officially supported by camera, now you can choose among these outputs for HDMI:

-480p
-1080i 50Hz
-1080i 60Hz

-SD safe mode warning:
If SD overclocking wasn't stable for your SD card with the selected OC settings, the camera would trigger a "Safe mode" which make write speed drop to 21 MB/s (48 MHz),
In previous builds you will need to run benchmarks to check if safe mode was triggered, now "SD Overclock" will display that when highlighting it in ML menu:

Also it will suggest to use lower frequency or different access mode, it's basically a time saver if you ever encounter this kind of case.

-Brighten LV method option:
In 9 May build I made a change which affected RAW recording stabilty at high resolutions in some presets (it prdouced corrupted frames, made recording stops early) especially when HDMI is connected, some context:

We acheive lower bit-depths when using lossless compression by applying negative gain to RAW data to reduce bit-depth, as result preview will become darker than it should be, there are two ways to adjust brightness and make it correct again:

-Brighten LV using a regiser related to AeWb task (18 April and previous builds use this by default):
This give stable RAW recording, but autofocus will be inaccurate (it will hunt) when using crop mood preset and normal preview with lossless compression at lower bit-depths.

-Brighten LV using regisers related to EVF task (9 May build use this by default):
This affect RAW recording stability at high resolutions, but it gives accurate autofocus when using crop mood preset and normal preview with lossless compression at lower bit-depths.

-Now Aug 19 build uses AeWb method by default to ensure stability (you have the option to change it if you want), and it's highly recommended to keep it AeWb, and just use x10 mode for focusing.

Changes list:

• Fixed shutter fine-tuning when using "More" option in small hacks.
  • Re-sovled an issue which was introudced in 9 May builds which produced corrupted frames and made recording stops early in high resolutions (check Brighten LV method).
  • Fixed a bug which prevented "Framing" preview to work if "Preview toggle" was turned off, also now "Preview toggle" will only be available when preview is set to "real-time".
  • Fixed random crashes on 100D when using crop mood module.
  • Fine-tuned FPS Timers for 5.2K 1x3 1736x2214 preset on 100D, this preset should be stable now on 100D.
  • Fine-tuned default TimerA and TimerB values for 100D which extends shutter speed range when "Shutter range" is set to "Full range".
    for example, highest shutter speed when using crop mood preset was limited to ~1/1000 on 100D, it should go up to 1/15K - 1/30K now.
  • Implemented a simple method to check if Safe mode was triggerd (write speed dropped to 21 MB/s) for the SD card when using SD overclocking,
    this will be useful for debugging if you experienced short recording times, you will be able to know it's something related to SD card and OC.
  • Added new module hdmi_out.mo which will let you select HDMI output resolution: either 480p or 1080i 50Hz or 1080i 60Hz.

Crop mood builds - Downloads

Sorry for the delay, I will try to anwer all asked questions as soon as possible.

chrisfree123

My crop mood installed. It records video.
But for some reason I can't turn on Crop Mood. The option is 0? It won't let me turn it on?

Am I doing something wrong?

(Photo was re-uploaded by mod)

Corallaro

Great work!!!!
But, a fix for freeze preview with AF in 1080p mode?
Ciao
Giovanni

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: essbe on August 01, 2023, 01:05:39 AM
Ok, that's too bad, but thanks for the quick reply! What's the lowest rolling shutter on the 700d in 1x3 mode?

I will make a new tests soon and will post the results on the forum,
I think 700D will have around probably ~15% less rolling shutter in some 1x3 presets (but not quite sure yet!).

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: metamerism on August 04, 2023, 02:26:06 AM
Hi, are there focus pixel maps for the 100D?

There are not focus pixel maps yet for crop mood presets (there are old focus pixels maps, iirc I made some tests and they don't cover all focus pixels in crop mood presets, I will double check again),

In this case, focus pixel maps need to be created from scratch for 100D, I mentioned some info about this subject in eariler replies,
Sorry I don't have time to create them, but anyone can create them and there is a guide on the forum shows how to do it.

I have an intention to create them, but I don't know when I am going to actually do it, please don't rely on me,
However, I can help if someone has the inspiration and want to create them, please let me know!

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Niche on August 06, 2023, 02:27:39 AM
I've been having this issue with my 100D where vertical lines will appear during shooting (shown throughout the attached image, but particularly the top right corner). I had this issue with crop_rec too, and it only seems to happen when using the cropped modules. Any idea what this is or how to fix it? It happens in any cropped mode.

Hi, thanks for reporting!

Related issue, I need to take a look into your 100D registers:

-Download this adtg_gui.mo, put it in ML/modules folder in SD card
-Unload all modules, and load only adtg_gui.mo, restart camera
-Set video mode to 1080p24 to gain extra speed

-Follow the following video, you can see in the video I am entering Canon menu and toggling between x1/x5/x10 modes, you should do that too to let "ADTG registers" bring the registers into it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Tdu9YZ4fc

But please:
-Keep "Show" set to "Everything" instead of "Modified from now on"
-Keep "ENGIO Registers" turned OFF (don't turn it on)

-After you finish, you will find "adtg.log" file in ML/LOGS folder in SD card, upload it somewhere and share it.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Teamsleepkid on August 13, 2023, 04:13:05 AM
Rolling shutter.. somebody was talking about it a few messages back..in my opinion that's really the last hurdle for magic lantern. If we can reduce the rolling shutter in 5k frtp. That's the grail.

Rolling shutter is related to sensor speed, more likely we hit a hardware limitation (unless someone prove me wrong), so in this case ML can't do anything to improve rolling shutter.

Quote from: Mythic Cinema on August 13, 2023, 03:38:49 PM
What settings cause the 1080p Raw to have the LiveView Frozen? I can't seem to figure it out.

You can either set focus box slightly below center to make LiveView work in 1080p 3x3 mode (as shown in build walkthrough video), or use manual focus or set small hacks to More.

Quote from: Mythic Cinema on August 13, 2023, 03:38:49 PM
Also I notice with 1080p Raw when I set it to 10-Bit, the LiveView still says 14-Bit on the bottom in green.

Use latest crop mood build then report back please!

Quote from: michael08 on August 14, 2023, 12:55:15 PM
hi, when I shoot through the mir 11 2/12.5 lens there is a vignetting in the upper right corner, I understand that the crop sensor is not exactly in the middle relative to the real sensor? how can I solve this problem? mode 2.8k 2880x1226

Unfortunately, we can't center cropped presets exactly to the center of the sensor, it will be always shifted slightly (to top or bottom and to left or right),
some presets will have more accurate centering than others (depending on resolution).

Mythic Cinema

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on August 20, 2023, 03:55:48 PM
Use latest crop mood build then report back please!

The bit-depth is displayed properly now with latest, but it might have been my fault before as I didn't realize there were two settings for the bit-depth. I notice when you change the bit-depth it changes the other one to match. Maybe it wasn't doing that before or not displaying it properly. Either way it is fine now. Thank you.

Grognard

We all have experimented some raw shootings which looked quite good on the camera screen but actualy were too darkand too noizy.
That's because the exposure in liveview is not accurate. I know that we have to focus on the Histogram and try to expose to the right.
But if it is quite simple for a landscape to adjuste the highlights on the sky it makes no sens on an inside scene without hightlights or in a low key scene.

That's why false colors are useful to expose correctly our scene especially with skin tones.
The problem is that falsecolors are accurate in greyscale liveview  but not in realtime preview!
I did some tests and try to match liveview and greyscale by modified picture style and ML digital ISO.

By using Cinestyle picture style with contrast - 1 and ML digital ISO gain + 1.0EV in 12 bits (by using +1 it becomes in fact a little bit darker) I achieve something very similar.

False color in realtime preview:                                                                  

False color in greyscale preview:

And it also match better whith raw datas

Realtime preview: 

MLV APP :                                                                                                                                                                                                     

MLV APP -1.0 exposure:

ADOBE CAMERA RAW DNG:

I cheked in photoshop with a spot exposure and I obtain on the TRex skin 52% of grey level which fits with falsecolors middle grey (between 45 and 55 percent exposure).

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Ernani on August 14, 2023, 09:37:58 PM
I always enable Kill Global Draw get more reliability and continuous recording. I noticed that the different modes react differently to KGD, for example: 3x1 modes display an accurate preview on all aspect ratios with and without KGD, whereas 3x3 will ALWAYS display a full sensor preview (3:2) with KGD, no matter what aspect is picked, turning the preview unusable when Kill Global Draw is enabled.

.. would it be a simple task to do the same for the regular 1080p previews?

The native 1080p mode from Canon has actually 3:2 RAW resolution (like 1736x1160 on entry-level models and 1920x1280 on 5D3 .. etc) with 3:2 LiveView image,
EOS M act as 720p while idle in 1080p, that's why I created 1080p preset in crop mood, it's basically has the same behavior as native 1080p from Canon.

The way how KGD work in crop mood build is the same as in official builds too, RAW video crop marks will be disabled since it depends on ML global draw,
To solve this issue, we will need to make RAW video crop marks don't rely on global draw or find a way to draw it again after killing global draw, I never checked these stuff, will try to take a look soon.

In the native 1080p mode, we get various aspect ratios by cropping the RAW frame before saving it to SD card, but the sensor is actually always scanning 1736x1160 3:2 and LiveView will always show 3:2 AR,
in other crop mood presets/modes like in HFR and 1x3, we are cropping the RAW frame by actaully scaning a smaller sensor area, e.g.:

-HFR 16:9 will scan 1736x976 --> LiveView will show 1736x976 i.e 16:9 image
-HFR 2.35:1 will scan 1736x738 --> LiveView will show 1736x738 i.e 2.35:1 image
-etc . .

If you choose HFR 16:9 mode (from crop mood), and set aspect ratio from RAW video to 2.35:1 (with KGD) then hit recording button --> now you will see 16:9 image in LiveView, but you will actually be recording 2.35:1.
(basically the same case as 1080p preset).

Current workaround: you mostly don't need to use KGD for 1080p mode since 1080p mode is lite and doesn't require high write speed.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: chrisfree123 on August 20, 2023, 04:43:58 AM
My crop mood installed. It records video.
But for some reason I can't turn on Crop Mood. The option is 0? It won't let me turn it on?

Am I doing something wrong?

Format SD card in PC, re-install crop mood build then report back please.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Corallaro on August 20, 2023, 01:46:12 PM
But, a fix for freeze preview with AF in 1080p mode?

Set focus box slightly below center to make LiveView work in 1080p 3x3 mode (as shown in build walkthrough video).

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Grognard on August 21, 2023, 06:27:04 PM
That's because the exposure in liveview is not accurate. I know that we have to focus on the Histogram and try to expose to the right.
The problem is that falsecolors are accurate in greyscale liveview  but not in realtime preview!

You should get the same results in any ML build or in native Canon video modes in crop mood build (by turning off crop mood module), that's how Canon designed its LiveView,
because Canon real-time preview doesn't represet how actual RAW data look like, it's lossy and it does throw some of the RAW image info (e.g. it shows less dynamic range . .)

ML does already provide many exposure tools which help you to expose correctly or to the right (I never rely on Canon real-time preview for exposing).
ML falsecolor relies on whatever preview is active either Framing or Real-Time.