Crop mood - WYSIWYG Edition (650D / 700D / EOS M / 100D)

Started by theBilalFakhouri, April 01, 2023, 06:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

You need to push halfshutter to autofocus. Not gonna work by itself  :P.
I think you shoulld turn off kill canon gui as well on more general note.

theBilalFakhouri

Already answered three days ago:

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on July 17, 2023, 06:39:41 AM
Continuous autofocus doesn't work when using crop mood presets, you can only trigger autofocus by a half-shutter press ...

theBilalFakhouri

Also, I made some changes which affect AF accuracy, these changes are included in latest 100D build:

from Advanced menu in crop mood submenu, there is a new option called Brighten LV method:

-AeWb: Brighten LV using a regiser related to AeWb task. Stable, inaccurate AF.
-EVF: Brighten LV using regisers related to EVF task. Less stable (might produce corrupted frames), accurate AF.

This only applies when using crop mood and lower bit-depths (less than 14-bit) in lossless compression.

Wannabe

Quote from: Danne on July 20, 2023, 11:30:29 AM
You need to push halfshutter to autofocus. Not gonna work by itself  :P.
This is very strange, because with your build the auto focus on my 100D works entirely by itself (without half-pressing the shutter button).
With your build changing the scenes automatically focuses on the new objects. The user does not have to do anything. It is all done autoatically by the camera (which I believe is the idea behind using auto focus).

With the Crop Mood build half-pressing the shutter button makes the camera search for focus for several long seconds. It never works from the first try and it barely manages to nail the focus after 3-4 failed attempts.
If you move the camera away and try to focus on another object, the camera does not autofocus by itself, but it waits for you to to half-press the shutter button once again, which results in 3-4 more seconds of ruined footage.

Wannabe

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on July 20, 2023, 11:38:51 AM
Also, I made some changes which affect AF accuracy, these changes are included in latest 100D build:

from Advanced menu in crop mood submenu, there is a new option called Brighten LV method:

-AeWb: Brighten LV using a regiser related to AeWb task. Stable, inaccurate AF.
-EVF: Brighten LV using regisers related to EVF task. Less stable (might produce corrupted frames), accurate AF.

This only applies when using crop mood and lower bit-depths (less than 14-bit) in lossless compression.

Thanks. I will try messing with these settings.
Will report back.

Danne

Quote from: Wannabe on July 20, 2023, 12:15:45 PM
This is very strange, because with your build the auto focus on my 100D works entirely by itself (without half-pressing the shutter button).
With your build changing the scenes automatically focuses on the new objects. The user does not have to do anything. It is all done autoatically by the camera (which I believe is the idea behind using auto focus).
I did not mess with my 100dbuild for quite some time so maybe something is working better by luck. I know with eos m where I extensively tested most presets it needed some tweaks to work better.
It is still af even if you need to use halfshutter ;). Problem with af servo while recording it's very unreliable.

theBilalFakhouri

@Wannabe

You can still use continuous autofocus with crop mood build with native video modes such as 1080p and 720p from Canon menu (turn crop mood off from movie tab).
Make sure Servo AF is turned on from Canon menu and small hacks turned off.

There were some important reasons why I made crop mood presets be applied/patched in x5 mode (where continuous autofocus doesn't work):

1- Patching presets with real-time correct preview in 1080p mode will result in an overhead which lead to corrtuped frames (pretty sure no one want to deal with this).
2- 1080p mode consume more hardware resources (more CPU usage and RAM bandwidth) compared to x5 mode, this make x5 mode perform a notiacble higher write speed --> longer recording time.

For me, continuous autofocus is very important feature to me, I would love to see it work with crop mood presets, but I think we probably reached some hardware limitations here,
if someone can optimize the LiveView for full real-time preview and continuous autofocus, feel free to do it (assuming we can optimize it through software), for me it doesn't worth the effort, AF performance is bad on these cams anyway.

Now, I started to prefer the 70D over my 700D / 100D because of DPAF :D . . and yes, I finally have a 70D, thanks to @Trapper from Discord! (who donated the amount so I could buy a 70D).

andy kh

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on July 20, 2023, 01:39:21 PMfinally have a 70D[/url], thanks to @Trapper from Discord! (who donated the amount so I could buy a 70D).
congrats bilal
5D Mark III - 70D

theBilalFakhouri

theBilalFakhouri

Some people are being confused about the name of the build and crop_rec module, is it crop mood or crop mode?
I added an answer in the first post, hopefully it's clearer now.

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 01, 2023, 06:37:50 PM
Speaking of naming - mood or mode?

vastunghia

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on July 20, 2023, 01:39:21 PM
Now, I started to prefer the 70D over my 700D / 100D because of DPAF :D . . and yes, I finally have a 70D, thanks to @Trapper from Discord! (who donated the amount so I could buy a 70D).

Lol, you really find all cams to be sexier than the 5D3, don't you? ;D
5D3 for video
70D for photo

Walter Schulz

Wait what happens after implementing ML overclocking for UHS-II cams! <g>

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: vastunghia on July 24, 2023, 09:41:18 AM
Lol, you really find all cams to be sexier than the 5D3, don't you? ;D

Hahaha, two main downsides for me in 5D3 are:

1. body weight and size (especially when equipped with 24-105 F/4 lens)
2. no flip screen

These two raesons have more impact when I shoot handheld, otherwise the quality is great and I love it.
Just yesterday I picked up my 700D with 18-55 kit lens (to shoot a short family event) instead of 5D3 (just videos, without photos), because of these very two reasons.

Good thing that working on 70D means the 5D3 will be benefited too (both are DIGIC 5+ and e.g. preview stuff is similar among the two models).

vastunghia

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on July 24, 2023, 11:58:48 AM

Agree on both. If Raw recording was not a thing, I would love my 70D way more than my 5D3. Heck, I would not even own a 5D3.

However, Raw recording is a thing (thank you ML!), and 5D3 has a data bandwidth which is *huge* compared to all the other ML cams.

So, even if someone obtained the way to have (say) real-time DPAF with 1:1 crop mode Raw recording on the 70D, that would most likely require a huge crop factor / low res to obtain continuous rec, and maybe only @10 bit. Or am I missing something?

Good thing that working on 70D means the 5D3 will be benefited too (both are DIGIC 5+ and e.g. preview stuff is similar among the two models).

Thanks for letting me see the silver lining ;D

Keep up with your great work man!
5D3 for video
70D for photo

Skinny

1. body weight and size (especially when equipped with 24-105 F/4 lens)
2. no flip screen
3. You can not install vintage lenses with short flange distance or a speedbooster :) Of all ML-enabled cameras only EOS M can do that, and I think it is a huge advantage of EOS M, you can experiment with all kinds of crazy lenses, I have some lenses laying around which I would love to try in RAW recording, but... Only EOS M users can do it.

names_are_hard

Shame the sensor, ergonomics and AF sucks.  But you're right about the mount being versatile.

amitkattal

Anyone tried full res 3fps mode on EOS M .everytime i try, it doesnt work. Recording stops immediately no matter i chose 10 bit or 14 bit. The sd card is powerful enough. I wonder if something else is causing it

BackPackJack

Hi I'm very much a magic lantern noob and I've recently purchased a 700d with the prospect of using crop mood. I'd first like to say a huge thank you to Bilal for his hard work in creating this incredible build.

How do I set up my 700d using crop mood? I'm semi-aware of what's required to get magic lantern up and running on the 700d but there's no reference I've found for this builds firmware requirements.

I'd greatly appreciate if someone could share the steps required to get this up and running and thank you in advance :D

Walter Schulz

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: amitkattal on July 27, 2023, 04:06:17 PM
Anyone tried full res 3fps mode on EOS M .everytime i try, it doesnt work. Recording stops immediately no matter i chose 10 bit or 14 bit. The sd card is powerful enough. I wonder if something else is causing it

Yes, it works on 700D and 100D, the answer to you question is already there in first post and my build walkthrough video . . anyway:
You need to turn off sound recording, set small hacks to More, 240 MHz and make sure picture quality is set to RAW from Canon menu (restart camera after setting it to RAW).

theBilalFakhouri

@BackPackJack

Thank you! best luck with crop mood build and your 700D.
ML installation process is covered in many topics and videos on youtube, you find the steps here under "Installation" (if you want to use crop mood build, you can find download link in first post).

You can follow my build walkthrough video from first post which show how to load modules beside how I usually configure ML settings, there are many other tutorial videos on youtube which can help you too.

Feel free to ask more questions.

mineralof

essbe

Really love the crop mood and the work everyone in the magic lantern team has done to make it possible, thanks to everyone involved for that! I have used it alot and have started wondering if another mode could be added:

The downsides of the eos m as a cinema camera are well known: Aliasing in 3x3-mode and rolling shutter in 1x3-modes. I have also found 3x3 the noisiest, 1x1 second most, and 1x3 the cleanest when using high iso:s, but that is probably well known as well. Anyhow I mostly use the 1x1 2.5k crop because of reasonable rolling shutter and little aliasing, the crop is acceptable when considering the colors and overall image quality from the magic lantern eos m. For me, the rolling shutter of about 24ms still requires a stabilised lens for handheld use, to look good (every mode works well on a tripod, of course). The 2.8k mode has as much rolling shutter as the 4.4k 1x3 mode (about 29ms according to ml menu), so the 4.4k seems a better overall choice because of less noise and less crop. Now I have started to wonder if there has been any experiments with smaller crops using the 1x3 mode? Would it be possible to make a 4k or smaller crop of 1x3 to get the rolling shutter closer to 20ms? A super-16mm crop (3x) in 1x3 mode could also be interesting, if possible, with even less rolling shutter. I guess the picture would be softer, and there would be some aliasing compared to the 1:1, but maybe it would be a good compromise considering the problems of the different modes, or are there other downsides?

theBilalFakhouri

Thank you @essbe, glad you liked it :)

Unfortunately, rolling shutter can't be improved even if we lowered the resolution, we already reached the limit (more likely it's a hardware limit).

Timer A (related to framerate) is responsible for rolling shutter too, lowering it will decrease rolling shutter and increase sensor scan speed (i.e increase FPS), the minmum Timer A value on EOS M we can use is 0x1FF (512) . .
lowering it further will result in black image, compared to 700D, the minimum limit is 0x1B9 (442) before th image break which mean a slightly lower rolling shutter on 700D when same preset is used (1x3 presets).

I am not quite sure if Timer A limit can be exceed when using lower resolutions, AFAIK EOS M and 700D share the same sensor (or does it?), why it's faster on 700D?
Could it be a software configuration (some registers)? I am not sure, comparing EOS M vs 700D in this case might lead us to something . .

essbe

Ok, that's too bad, but thanks for the quick reply! What's the lowest rolling shutter on the 700d in 1x3 mode?