Crop mood - WYSIWYG Edition (650D / 700D / EOS M / 100D)

Started by theBilalFakhouri, April 01, 2023, 06:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theBilalFakhouri

I don't have problems with my 100D and crop mood, it works fine here.
I think it's time to format SD card in PC and make a clean install again, does it work?

ISO stuck? Are you using Manual mode in first place?
If the settings are set to auto then ML can't change these settings, you need to set mode dial to "M", also set ISO to specific value from Canon menu.

You can change ISO and aperture from ML menu in Expo tab or use 100D physical buttons (read Canon manual), you can also use "customize buttons" for ISO and Aperture.

If it still crashes, recrod a video shows what are you doing on your 100D from A to Z (from a fresh ML install to camera crash moment).

Wannabe

Thanks!
Regarding the ISO lock: I knew it that it was me who was doing something wrong. I'm still not familiar with all the Canon settings and ML menus.
The crashes are worrying, though.
I am currently out of battery juice and I don't have a charger. Will post an update when my charger arrives. Will try to create a thorough video too.

[email protected]

Any chance this will become available for the 1200D? I'm guessing DIGIC 4 is a no go, but just curious.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: [email protected] on July 10, 2023, 06:10:57 PM
Any chance this will become available for the 1200D? I'm guessing DIGIC 4 is a no go, but just curious.

We haven't found any method to do overclocking on cams hosting Digic 4. So it is 20 MByte/s vs 80 MByte/s. And ATM nobody is working on implementing lossless compression for RAW recording for Digic 4. Compression in controlled environment (no overexposure) gives around 60% data stream reduction. So virtually 20 vs 200 in pixel crunching abilities.

In short: This is a pipe dream. Get yourself a 650D. They are pretty cheap now.

[email protected]

Skinny

With lossless compression and let's say 10 bit recording digic 4 cameras with SD card COULD be somewhat useful if you want to record only short clips like 10 seconds.. When I film something just for pleasure I rarely do more than 15-20 seconds. Usually it is enough. If you are doing stuff like b-roll then it can be ok..
Of course if you want to record an interview or a long video then obviously you'll need another camera..

vstrglv

Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

mineralof

What am I doing wrong?
Canon 650d.
speed test in photo mode for writing and reading is consistently above 80mb.
and in video mode 20

Walter Schulz

Change Access Mode (oc submenu) to SDR50 and retry.

Wannabe

Hi!
So, I now have a battery charger and I can do as many experiments as I want.

Magic Lantrern / Crop Mood still does not work properly and it still shuts my camera down whenever I try to use it.
I cannot record more than 1 seconds (or less) of video on my Canon EOS 100D.

I tried deleting everything from the SD card and then formatting it. I then pasted a new copy of ML/Crop Mood on the freshly formatted SD card and did a re-install from the firmware update menu.
I then turned ON all the necessary modules and set my SD Access mode to SDR50. I also lowered the bit depth to 10 bit. I made sure to set the date and time, and I made sure to turn the camera on in photo mode first, then wait a few seconds before switching to video mode.
All of this did nothing to solve the problem.

I still cannot use my camera with ML/Crop Mood.

Danne

Where's your screen recording? Sounds like a faulty card or some foreseen user mistake. Hard to tell. Maybe hardware since you say it shuts down all the time.
Did you try any other builds for 100D? Another card?
Anyway. Repeating failure messages without screen recording at this stage won't help.

Wannabe

Quote from: Danne on July 12, 2023, 10:20:10 PM
Where's your screen recording? Sounds like a faulty card or some foreseen user mistake. Hard to tell. Maybe hardware since you say it shuts down all the time.
Did you try any other builds for 100D? Another card?
Anyway. Repeating failure messages without screen recording at this stage won't help.

Maybe the SD card is faulty... who knows?
The card does very well on the benchmarks, but I realize that this proves nothing.

This is my first experience with Magic Lantern and I haven't tried any other builds. Just the newest Crop Mood build.
I will record a new video showcasing the problem, but I am afraid that the new video will not be much different from the one that I already posted.
Here is the old video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOl37HwIeds

Wannabe

Here is a new video that I made.
I try to explain the situation to the best of my abilities with my broken English.
I also show my Sandisk Extreme Pro MICRO SD card which could potentially be causing the issue...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydODiPUb2cY

names_are_hard

Some main points from the video:
ML is stable on this cam and runs for over a minute with zero problems.  It does not shut down your cam when you try to use it.  The demonstrated problems only seem to occur when video is recorded.
Video recording error is demonstrated around 1:45 in the video.  This is an error of some kind because we reach the "Movie recording stopped automagically" message in mlv_lite.c
It's not clear if the camera crashes, shuts down, or just goes to sleep because it's idle (recording has stopped and you're not touching the controls, it may go to sleep).

Why do you think it's crashing?
Is anything saved to the card?  I would expect a small video file.  There may also be log files (I think you gave some logs before; please provide the logs associated with this specific video).

I think the most likely problem is you're trying to record at too high a data rate for the card / cam / settings combination.  Can you successfully record in easier, lower resolutions?  Try the lowest available raw video mode.  We want to learn if your cam can record raw video at all with this build.

Wannabe

Quote from: names_are_hard on July 13, 2023, 12:00:29 AM
It's not clear if the camera crashes, shuts down, or just goes to sleep because it's idle (recording has stopped and you're not touching the controls, it may go to sleep).
It is a crash, not an automatic shut down. The camera crashes and only pulling the battery out and inserting it back in can return it to working order.

Why do you think it's crashing?
Because there are crash logs and also because it cannot be turned on, unless you remove the battery.

Is anything saved to the card?  I would expect a small video file.  There may also be log files (I think you gave some logs before; please provide the logs associated with this specific video).
Yes, there is a small video file saved. It is about half a second long in duration.

I think the most likely problem is you're trying to record at too high a data rate for the card / cam / settings combination.  Can you successfully record in easier, lower resolutions?  Try the lowest available raw video mode.  We want to learn if your cam can record raw video at all with this build.
I will do a test at the lowest resolution possible. If this test turns out to be successful, this will mean that my SD card is at fault and I need a new card.
Another $200 that ML is going to cost me.

theBilalFakhouri

Oh, I just made some new tests on my 100D using 9 May build and sometime I did encounter the same issue you described.
Fow now, please try magiclantern-crop_mood.2023Apr19.100D101_hot_fix.zip build, does it have same issue too?

I probably broke something in 9 May build and it affect 100D.

Again the SD card isn't related to this issue (also the internal battery isn't related), it's something related to LiveView and our ENGIO hook (some delay could solve the issue).

@Wannabe You don't need to turn on the camera to photo mode each time, it was a just a test, you can turn on the camera to video mode directly.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: vstrglv on July 11, 2023, 09:09:11 PM
Any progress for 5D3?

Short answer: for me, no.

Currently I am being barely active on ML, I am trying to organize my life a little and find some balance, I am okay, don't worry.
I didn't do much work on 5D3 since the release of crop mood, I still have a plan to work on 5D3 again and be more active in general.

I will let you know when I have something to share, just like this sneak-peek :D

Wannabe

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on July 13, 2023, 12:56:31 AM
Oh, I just made some new tests on my 100D using 9 May build and I did encounter the same issue you described.
Fow now, try magiclantern-crop_mood.2023Apr19.100D101_hot_fix.zip build, does it have same issue too?

I probably broke something in 9 May build and it affect 100D.

Again the SD card isn't related to this issue (also the internal battery isn't related), it's something related to LiveView and our ENGIO hook (some delay could the solve the issue).

@Wannabe You don't need to turn on the camera to photo mode each time, it was a just a test, you can turn on the camera to video mode directly.
Hi Bilal, in a bizarre way it is almost good to hear that I am not the only one experiencing this issue.
I was starting to believe that I'm just too dumb to operate a camera that has Crop Mood installed.

Tomorrow I will check out the alternative build that you posted above.
How do I remove the 9 May build completely? Do I just erase it from the SD card, or do I have to uninstall it somehow from the camera as well?

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: bobolee on July 01, 2023, 06:24:05 AM
1,Horizontal lines on "1:1 presets 2.5k 10bit",no issue on 14 bit.

It's normal  (check "vertical lines on screen" part).

2,Frame order error.Won't get this error message everytime,but it pops up randomly.Seems like it will get this error more if  a slower speed sd card was in use.The footage recorded looks OK on MLV APP.

Sometime I get this error too, but it seem it dosen't affect recording and it doesn't produce corrupted frames.
This error isn't something bad, it's more like a warning.

For example on 5D3 and when using card spanning, this error is always presensted, I just made it hidden and things worked fine, also Danne did the same thing on EOS M in his builds.

I am not sure if it a good step to always hide this error, it might be a good warning for a possibility of corrupted frames?

3,Is there anything you can do to make the temperature lower ?

With ML? I don't know, probably not.
BTW and IIRC, on 700D the camera shows overheat icon then shut down at around ~85 C° to ~90 C°, so 60 C° isn't that bad (at least to me).

4,When using FPS override ,chose "optimize for exact fps",the screen will go corrupt.I don't have picture to show this one,but it's easy for you to find this problem.

I am assuming you are using crop mood presets with FPS override, right? This combo doesn't work well togather, same as:

Quote from: a1ex on April 01, 2017, 11:15:41 AM
Does it work with FPS override?

Sort of. It's not reliable at this point, so it's best not to try yet.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Wannabe on July 13, 2023, 01:13:20 AM
How do I remove the 9 May build completely? Do I just erase it from the SD card, or do I have to uninstall it somehow from the camera as well?

Format SD card in PC or Camera (press AV button to toggle to "remove ML"), then install the mentioned build.
There are other ways too, but let's use this for our case.

Wannabe

Alright guys, here is an update: I replaced the 9 May build for Canon EOS 100D with the April 19 build. The camera still crashes after I did the downgrade.

I then lowered the resolution to see if the problem was caused by a slow SD card (as advised by the user names_are_hard). And tada!
The camera now records without interruption at the lowest setting possible and then it records 10-15 second videos at some of the higher resolutions.

I noticed that there was a MB/sec indicator under the green/orange/red camera icon.
In my case this indicator was showing 20 MB/sec most of the time. I tried shooting in both access modes - SDR50 and SDR104. The indicator was reporting around 20 MB/sec regardless of the access mode.
I think that this whole mess may indeed be caused by a crappy SD card.
Is it time for me to open my pocket for a decent SD card? That is the question...  :)

Edit: I stand corrected. In some aspect ratios the indicator shows ~50 BM/sec.

ML700D

EOS 700D

Danne

Look. It is probably something not working properly with sd_uhs code, meaning your card is ok etc. You shoule test other builds and see if they work as expected, meaning you could get ok raw recordings performance with other builds. If so, your card is probably ok. Remember, you are using bleeding edge builds. If lucky, it will work as expected, but not always.
Been a while I used my 100D but here´s a version with some older code I have shared before. How will it work with sd_uhs enabled?
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern_dannephoto_git/downloads/crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_100D_2023Jul13.100D101.zip

There´s also nightly builds you could test:
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/

Wannabe

Quote from: Danne on July 13, 2023, 09:33:45 AM
Look. It is probably something not working properly with sd_uhs code, meaning your card is ok etc. You shoule test other builds and see if they work as expected, meaning you could get ok raw recordings performance with other builds. If so, your card is probably ok. Remember, you are using bleeding edge builds. If lucky, it will work as expected, but not always.
Been a while I used my 100D but here´s a version with some older code I have shared before. How will it work with sd_uhs enabled?
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern_dannephoto_git/downloads/crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_100D_2023Jul13.100D101.zip

There´s also nightly builds you could test:
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/
Thanks, I will test the builds that you posted as soon as possible.
So far I have only tested the two Crop Mood builds by Bilal Fakhouri.

names_are_hard

Quote from: Wannabe on July 13, 2023, 09:17:55 AM
In my case this indicator was showing 20 MB/sec most of the time. I tried shooting in both access modes - SDR50 and SDR104. The indicator was reporting around 20 MB/sec regardless of the access mode.
I think that this whole mess may indeed be caused by a crappy SD card.

20MB/s is what happens when the card drops back to a safe mode, because we tried to push it too hard.  This doesn't mean the card is bad.  It *can*, but it can also be some configuration problem.  Even very good cards will do this if you pick the wrong options.

Check Bilal's test build and work with him to find out why 100D changed how it behaves.