Crop mood - WYSIWYG Edition (650D / 700D / EOS M / 100D)

Started by theBilalFakhouri, April 01, 2023, 06:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theBilalFakhouri

@mlrocks

Nah, that's the new design, and 14-bit lossless works. just leave it as it is from RAW video submenu (keep Data format at 14-bit lossless), then change bit-depth from crop mood submenu.
Data format in RAW video submenu will print the selected bit-depth from crop mood submenu. There are clear warnings tell what to do (how to change bit-depth).

Maybe it's better to not grey it out, will do that in next release.

mlrocks

Thanks a lot, Bil.
I just tested full res 1x1, 3 fps, 90 mb/s, 50% idle, good live view, continuous green for 33 minutes. thumbs up.

theBilalFakhouri

Focus pixels maps for crop mood are ready:

You will find them in the same link which include crop mood builds downloads:
Crop mood builds - Downloads

-Download focus pixels maps .zip file for your camera
-Extract the content of "All" folder in MLVApp root or drag and drop them into MLVApp GUI

-100D focus pixels maps are not available yet, they need to be created from scratch (I will do it in future)
-Focus pixels maps will be added soon in MLVApp repo, so MLVApp would be able to download them automagically (Edit: added)

These should cover all crop mood presets for now, let me know if you still have focus pixels in any preset.

mlrocks

Very good job, Bil. This way MLV App will get rid of all of the focus pixels.

I just found out that when changing small hacks from on to all, I can get the same level of data stream as the 5/25/22 build.

Now with sd overclocking to 240 mhz, sandisk extreme pro 170 mb/s 256 gb, on 650d

UHD 1X3 14 bit lossless AR 1.66 24p continuous orange about 80 mb/s, 10 ms idle.
5.2K 1X3 10 bit lossless AR 2.39 24p continuous orange about 80 mb/s, 10 ms idle.

Two thumbs up!

SebastianC

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 21, 2023, 08:07:50 PM
(Full quote removed by Mod)

I would like ask what is Focus pixels maps, how to use. Thanks!

mlrocks

ML's auto white balance is much better than Canon's stock auto white balance.
If the ML menu->white balance->auto adjust kevin and g/m can be assigned to a button, one button ML auto white balance is very helpful when changing scenes.

koopg

any news with 5d3 :(

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

monkey

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 21, 2023, 08:07:50 PM

These should cover all crop mood presets for now, let me know if you still have focus pixels in any preset.

(Full quote removed by monkey)

@theBilalFakhouri

Could you please add pixel map also for 1376x2322 resolution for EOS M?
It's crop mood 1X3, preset Higher, aspect ratio 16:9

Thank you in advance!

MSAYED801

Hello Bilal

Can you advise which modes/Ratio & Crop is able to have continuous recording?
i need a clip that is minimum 3 minutes

Your Help would be much appreciated

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: mlrocks on April 21, 2023, 10:09:30 PM
I just found out that when changing small hacks from on to all, I can get the same level of data stream as the 5/25/22 build.

Yup, "All" means all of old and new hacks will be activated, I put them in "Small hacks" setting to simplify the menu.

Quote from: koopg on April 23, 2023, 09:28:00 PM
any news with 5d3 :(

Nope, please don't hold your breath.
If I have news I will send you a message ;)

Quote from: monkey on April 24, 2023, 06:09:24 PM
Could you please add pixel map also for 1376x2322 resolution for EOS M?
It's crop mood 1X3, preset Higher, aspect ratio 16:9

Of course, my bad, I missed it.
I added the map eariler today to MLVApp repo, MLVApp should ask you to download it now when you open 1376x2332 MLV file.

theBilalFakhouri

Hi @MSAYED801

Quote from: MSAYED801 on April 25, 2023, 05:45:41 PM
Can you advise which modes/Ratio & Crop is able to have continuous recording?
i need a clip that is minimum 3 minutes

I can't, there is no proper answer to this question. It depend on many factors like your SD card and scene and ML settings.
Best way to know is to try and make real world tests on your camera, here are some videos from the community might help you with the settings:

Please note that some of info including in these videos might not be always accurate, but the most info are good, helpful and useful.
These videos are applicable to all supported models. Also it's recommended to watch my build walkthrough video first.

If you are on Facebook, check MLV RAW ON EOS M group, around ~5K members there, you might learn from their experience too.

monkey

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 25, 2023, 10:11:17 PM

Of course, my bad, I missed it.
I added the map eariler today to MLVApp repo, MLVApp should ask you to download it now when you open 1376x2332 MLV file.

(full quote removed by monkey)

Sorry, but it's still not there.

P.S: Resolution is 1376X2322. No doubt it's just typo.

theBilalFakhouri

@monkey

Please upload short MLV sample (2 frames, cut it with MLVApp) using 1376x2322 preset.

monkey

@theBilalFakhouri

Here is the example. Hope it fits. Link below.
https://fex.net/uk/s/pdpcyem

Please let e know if you have problem with link or need different example.

theBilalFakhouri

Thanks, I have added the map to MLVApp repo.
MLVApp should ask you to download it now.

monkey

@theBilalFakhouri

Many thanks! Focus pixels disappeared from the shot.

Looks like I mislead You with specifications in first request.

gabriielangel

For those who didn't know, it is possible to record Uncompressed (As opposed to Lossless) with some presets.
The advantage is that the Data Rate being constant (No Compression), Scene Complexity and Brightness have little effect on recording times.

As this build is less prone to yield compression errors with very bright scenes, and there is now an 11bit lossless option;
10bit Uncompressed will most likely be advantageous only when the scene is very bright and busy. (Lots of tree branches, bushes, fur, pine trees, busy landscapes etc.)

Possibility is as follows:
2520x1048,  10bit Uncompressed, Orange (Tested over 1 minute of recording)
1472x1846,  10bit Uncompressed, Orange
1736x720, up to 14bit Uncompressed, Green (!)

In order to test, I recorded the same scene at 3 degrees of brightness (F2, F4, F11).
As you can see in the screenshots, varying brightness with Lossless changes the Data Rate, but the latter remains constant when using Uncompressed.

Recording 10bit ettr and lowering exposure in post will yield a cleaner image than 14bit recorded severely underexposed.
Also, 10bit Uncompressed has cleaner shadows than 10bit Lossless (No red tint)

You can see the data rates at various resolutions in the screenshots.
This could be particularly interesting for those using 1080p 3x3.

Tip to get longer recording times: Low-Level Format your card every time it is full (As opposed to deleting the files). There is an option to keep the ML files now (Not sure how this happens, but it works). It is easier to write on a freshly formatted SD card than on one with files deleted.
There is a good primer on that topic here: https://www.memorycard.expert/-Article/SD-Memory-Card-format

Test-f2" border="0
Test-F4" border="0
Test-F11" border="0

In order to test it and validate it on your end:

For 10bit Uncompressed, set the bitrate in the RAW video Menu. Choose 10-bit (The bitrate becomes grayed out in the crop mood menu and has no effect. Even if it shows a different bitrate on the main screen when recording, the recorded file will be 10bit Uncompressed. You can choose 12-bit or 14-bit if using 1080p 3x3)

For Lossless, You put back 14-bit lossless in the RAW video menu, then you set the desired bitrate in the Crop mood menu.

Tested with:
magiclantern-crop_mood.2023Apr18.EOSM202.zip
240Mhz Overclock
Sandisk Extreme Pro 170MB/s 128GB

This build is the most robust so far.

iaburn

I never compared 10bit lossless against 10bit uncompressed, but if they is a difference in the shadows, that could mean that there is an implementation error of some kind...

amitkattal

Quote from: gabriielangel on April 27, 2023, 01:38:54 AM
For those who didn't know, it is possible to record Uncompressed (As opposed to Lossless) with some presets.
The advantage is that the Data Rate being constant, Scene Complexity and Brightness have little effect on recording times.
(Full quote removed by Mod)

It's normal to select uncompressed and data rate being same..there is no compression happening u like lossless so yeah data rate will be same..for lossless version, the more light or unique details means less redunt bits and final size reduction won't be huge. But if we shoot like a blank wall with no detail in the bright sun, we will get less final size.

Regarding shadows. Last time I tried, I couldn't see any difference in the result. Maybe need to try again.

iaburn

After some testing I can confirm that all the "lossless" modes have a strong red tint in the shadows, even at 14bits.
It is not obvious until you actually compare side by side with the uncompressed clips, but once you do, the difference is very noticeable.

A quick example:

names_are_hard

How are you processing to get these results?  In theory, lossless shouldn't change the data at all, so I'm wondering if this is an mlvapp artifact.

If you can extract the image data via another route that would be a useful comparison.

iaburn

Quote from: names_are_hard on April 27, 2023, 11:30:46 PM
How are you processing to get these results?  In theory, lossless shouldn't change the data at all, so I'm wondering if this is an mlvapp artifact.

If you can extract the image data via another route that would be a useful comparison.

I'll record clips in all bit modes later today, and share a receipt and a frame from each one of them.

I just set ISO 100 and record a scene with high dynamic range. I finally rise the shadows in MLVApp to see the difference visually, without the graphs.

Danne

Lossless modes aren't exact science here. Reducing four white level registries on top of 14bit lossless14bit lossless vs 14bit uncompressed should look the same though.

masc

Was RAW black level set to the correct values? If not it is the reason for green/magenta in dark tones.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202