Crop mood - WYSIWYG Edition (650D / 700D / EOS M / 100D)

Started by theBilalFakhouri, April 01, 2023, 06:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iaburn

Quote from: Danne on April 17, 2023, 11:39:31 AM
How does the footage look? I actually turned that error message to off in my build as it never effected files visually on eos m.

I'm not sure, I stopped recording as soon as I was getting the error because I assumed that it will be broken. I have many clips with a few frames (I guess the ones with the error) and they play normally...

Doumas

Once again, amazing work Bilal!

I was just wondering how to fix focus dots, since new resolutions don't have proper FPMs?

Thanks

theBilalFakhouri

Thanks @Doumas!

Focus pixels maps are not added yet for new presets.

I will do it in few days.

@masc @Danne Could you help with adding focus pixel maps for EOS M in MLVApp repo?

gabriielangel

Quote from: Danne on April 17, 2023, 11:55:56 AM
@gabriellangel
If you have time could you check af possibilities while recording in x10zoom and while in regular preview and check behaviour compared to my build? I simply don't have the time atm to dig deeper.

About Autofocus capabilities: (Some of this has been mentioned in other posts in the past few days, but will repeat nonetheless to facilitate the comparison)

With Danne's build, hacks lvface and AF on.
With Bilal's build, hacks off. (To be able to use it while recording)
Both with a Sandisk Extreme 128G, 170 MB/s.
magiclantern-crop_mood.2023Apr16.EOSM202.zip
crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only_2023Mar02.EOSM202.zip

Tested with 2.39:1 Ratio

AF is bitrate dependant (On both Bilal's and Danne's builds). I did not notice a huge difference between 14 and 12 bits, but 10bits misses focus noticeably more often than the other 2.
The difference in AF accuracy between 10 and 11bits on Bilal's build is not significant enough for me to quantify it.

On Bilal's build, 4.4k 1x3 will keep recording while autofocusing, up to 12bits (Because hacks are off).
4.8k and 5.2k just can't record more than a few seconds with hacks off, so autofocus will not be very useful there.

On Bilal's Build, It's not possible to use x10 mode while recording (Recording stops as soon as you hit half-shutter), but when idle, it never misses focus.

AF at X5 mode is not as robust as x10 ATM, but as Danne's build seems to be using x5 mode while recording, it can still work pretty well.

So, on Danne's build:

-2.5k 1:1 Centered 12/14 bits: Focus is near perfect before and while recording and everything is pretty much centered;
-2.8K 1:1 12 bits: Can focus while recording, but misses a lot. When enabling the Canon GUI to see the focus box, putting it a little to the right and 1 step up makes it miss less often, but it's still not perfect;
-3K 1:1: Will work slightly better than 2.8k, but you need to lower frame rate to 20fps to run at 12 bits, so...
-5k ana frtp 12/14 bits: Focus is very good before and while recording, but you sometimes have to aim slightly lower to nail focus;
-5k ana flv: Can only focus before recording. Trying to do so while recording will lead to corrupted frames.
-1080p: Will Focus almost as well as 2.5k 1:1 Centered, but screen turns pink while using AF. The recording is always  corruption-free nonetheless.

On Bilal's build:

-AF works evenly across all modes and resolutions;
-The preview always remains clean while autofocusing, even while recording;
-X10 mode AF while idle never misses with the good lenses. Has the same accuracy as Photo mode;
-X5 mode AF while recording is not as robust as Danne's 2.5k, but it is precise enough. Will nail focus 8-9/10, but will sometimes get lost and completely lose focus for a while;
-AF will sometimes stop working at x5, so you just need to go into x10 mode, focus, then it will start working again.

The things to keep in mind are:

When moving the AF box in x10, it remains where you put it. So if moving the focus box to the side to get  a certain framing/focus subject,
In order to be useful in x10 while recording (If this becomes possible), the AF box would need to be automatically moved to the center of the frame as soon as you hit record. Otherwise AF would become very hard while recording.
This is not a problem in the current implementation, because in x5 mode the focus box is always at the center.

The focus box should be at the center of the sensor area being scanned. It is not a big problem anymore, as most presets in both builds are now very close to the center, the exception being 5k ana frtp on Danne's build.

Some lenses work better with AF than others; the best lenses I have tried are the ef-m 22mm f2.0 and EF 35mm F2.0 IS USM.

Also, when in x5 mode, the zoom looks larger on Danne's build than on Bilal's.

If I forgot something, let me know.

Danne

Thanks for descriptions on af.

Tested bilals version on 1x3 and it works even while recording when small hacks is turned to off. Note that one can still run small hacks ON if following are turned off while doing af. I do this on my version:
Turn these off but keep the rest on in small hacks.
        call("aewb_enableaewb", unhack ? 1 : 0);  /* for new cameras */
        call("lv_ae",           unhack ? 1 : 0);  /* for old cameras */
        call("lv_wb",           unhack ? 1 : 0);

Framing mode must be turned off as it causes serious overhead on presets now while doing af. Should be easy in mlv_lite to block.

Regarding focus pixel maps I wrote masc and asked if we could symlink to one original map instead of reusing the same map for multiple resolutions. This to keep the package lighter.
personally I have no time copying and finding the correct pixel maps from dfort atm but shouldn´t take too long. Anyone can find some nearby resolution map and put in the mlv resolution to test.

trashsawce

To get the photo mode working normally just set crop mood to off. Everything else works as a charm!

Danne

One could block crop_rec while outside movie mode too.

theBilalFakhouri

New Crop mood builds are out:
April.18.2023

• Fixed stuck WhiteBalance after enabling crop mood and after stopping recording.
  • Implemented RAW video cropmarks for 1080p 3x3 preset (when using wider asepct ratios or lower res from RAW video submenu).
  • Kill Global Draw setting now will be saved.
  • Fixed AF get stuck after stopping recording.
  • Crop mood will be disabled in photo mode if it's active to allow taking picture without problems, also taking pictures in movie move while crop mood is active might work better.
  • Dual ISO will be disabled in x10 mode to check focus easily.
  • Added False color and Dual ISO (ON / OFF) to SET / INFO buttons assignments  in customize buttons.
  • Added option "Toggle preview" to prevent switching preview (among Framing and Real-Time) when half-shutter and * buttons get pressed.
  • Fixed choppy real-time preview in 1280p 1:1 preset in some cases.
  • Fixed HDMI support for 1x3 presets when using 2.39:1 aspect ratio.
  • Hided "All" option from Small hacks menu on EOS M (it was revealed by mistake in 16April build).
  • Added some warnings (Half-Shutter set to x10 Zoom will only work with manual focus. 694p HFR preset has no real-time preview).
  • Blocked Arrows/SET (if not assigned) also one finger touch while recording, to prevent preview configuration from changes when moving focus box position to avoid black preview and instability.

Crop mood builds - Downloads

Please test, then report back!
I might not be available until the next month.

iaburn

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 18, 2023, 04:18:28 PM
I might not be available until the next month.

Awesome update, but I really hope you are really not available for a while!
Take a well deserved time off or you'll get burnout :o

julien becker

Wow Bilal, this update looks great on paper ! Can't wait to test it out. Like iaburn wrote, you deserve some time off man !

benoit

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 18, 2023, 04:18:28 PM
  • Dual ISO will be disabled in x10 mode to check focus easily.
Clever idea !
What a build !
Thanks again Bilal

iaburn

By the number of downloads, just a few people is using a 100D, but: Are you having crashes with the 1x3 mode on "Higher" and "Highest" (2.35:1)?
No matter which bit rate I choose, even if the MB/s are not very high, I get fails and errors messages when recording on this modes. With the "Medium" resolution, it works fine. Also 1x1 modes works nicely, even 3K.

Some examples of errors (most of them are "compress_task"):

ML ASSERT:
at mlv_lite.c:2847 (compress_task), task compress_task
lv:1 mode:3

compress_task stack: 1f1d50 [1f1de0-1f0de0]
0x0044C9AC @ aa90bc:1f1d80
0x0044C478 @ 44ca08:1f1d50

Magic Lantern version : crop_mood.2023Apr16.100D101
Mercurial changeset   : NO HG
Built on 2023-04-15 22:03:39 UTC by bilal@DESKTOP-27BNL6E.
Free Memory  : 539K + 2267K

ML ASSERT:
((mlv_vidf_hdr_t*)slots[slot_index].ptr)->frameNumber == (uint32_t) slots[slot_index].frame_number - 1
at mlv_lite.c:3636 (raw_video_rec_task), task raw_rec_task

raw_rec_task stack: 1edd08 [1eddd8-1ecdd8]
0x0044C9AC @ aad3cc:1edd38
0x0044C478 @ 44ca08:1edd08

Free Memory  : 540K + 2270K

ASSERT: !IS_ERROR(semErr)
at ./EekoApp/Color/WB/LV/LvWbAlgorWrap.c:522, CLR_CALC:ff420810

CLR_CALC stack: 1c8e80 [1c90d8-1c50d8]
0xUNKNOWN  @ d090:1c90d0
0xUNKNOWN  @ 3a758:1c90a8
0x0003A450 @ ff0f9e6c:1c9090
0xUNKNOWN  @ 3a480:1c9080
0xUNKNOWN  @ 3a508:1c9060
0xFF4202C4 @ ff25ab60:1c8f60
0x00001900 @ ff42080c:1c8eb8
0x0044C478 @ 44c57c:1c8e80

Free Memory  : 569K + 2269K

theBilalFakhouri

Thanks folks!

I have fixed 100D crash on startup, sometime when switching presets.

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 01, 2023, 06:37:50 PM
-Known issues:

Nothing serious really, small issue, I didn't dig into it yet but I noticed it:

• 100D issue only: sometime the camera crashes on startup (when switching the camera from OFF to Video mode) when crop mood is already activated, adding a little delay may fix the issue.

Yes, all what needed was a delay.

@iaburn

I have no problem with recording 1736x2214 1x3 on 100D, just tried that in 18 April build. Give this version a try:
magiclantern-crop_mood.2023Apr19.100D101_hot_fix.zip

Feedback please. If the problem still there, share your settings.

theBilalFakhouri

Another workaround for frozen/black 1080p 3x3 preset was shared by EOS M user (called Cole Power) from FB group:

Set AF method to FlexiZone Mutli, this way 1080p 3x3 will always work (regardless of focus box position).
I tried this method on HFR modes too, the preview will always work there too, not only that, you can have working preview in 738p HFR while idle too :)

This method will work as long as you are using manual focus. If autofocus is on, AF method will be alawys switched to FlexiZone Single automagically.
It's an interesting find, might lead us to which function we need to look into it so we can have a generic fix which always works.

Danne

Danne

Nice to see this version growing by the minute.
I miss one strong preset. The 1x3 full res version. Obviously it´s not gonna be real-time preview but 1x3 with full raw stream could give some like 16fps and it works much more stable than the 1x1 Full-Res LV. The 1x3 full res preset is also nice when doing timelapses in movie mode or even shoot 16fps silent film :).
Also wonder if custom modes would be good in this build as we have no fast acces to presets otherwise. This way one could create 5 or more custom presets with all ratios, bitdepths etc already set and remembered.

EDIT: On a sidenote it´s maybe interesting to rearrange movie functions all under Movie tab. If interested there´s a nice way of doing this with placeholders. Custom modes should probably be accessible under Movie tab as well imo.

iaburn

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 19, 2023, 04:17:53 AM
I have no problem with recording 1736x2214 1x3 on 100D, just tried that in 18 April build. Give this version a try:
magiclantern-crop_mood.2023Apr19.100D101_hot_fix.zip

Feedback please. If the problem still there, share your settings.

Thanks a lot for looking at this, I tested the hot fix and it was the same.
I think it's simply a problem with the overclock.
On your previous 100D build (before the crop mood) I could only make my cards work at 192MHz.
Now they work at 240Mhz and give over 93MB/s on the benchmark, but I realised that they cannot keep up with real recording speeds over 78MB/s approximately (around actual 192MHz speed).
The cards are all SanDisk Extreme Pro (tried 95, 170 and 200MB/s) and they work well on the EOS M, so I guess it's something specific to my camera if it works for you.
Long story short, you can forget about it  ;)

iaburn

Quote from: Danne on April 19, 2023, 06:54:10 AM
I miss one strong preset. The 1x3 full res version.
Which resolution is that? I think I never used that mode on your builds

Danne

5k anamorphic flv or similar. Ratios OFF. Not cam here.

gabriielangel

Quote from: Danne on April 19, 2023, 06:54:10 AM
Also wonder if custom modes would be good in this build as we have no fast acces to presets otherwise. This way one could create 5 or more custom presets with all ratios, bitdepths etc already set and remembered.

I have a suggestion here: I have noticed that it is possible to press&hold the SET button to have an extra function, in the same way we press&hold the trash can icon to go into ML Menu.
This button would be a good candidate for a preset menu, because the tap screen is prone to false triggers, and once you tap it (In Danne's build), it will change presets even if you exit without selecting.

One more argument is that, for example, my Sandisk Extreme Pro card can handle 2.5k/14bits, but the Sandisk Extreme card is good at 2.5k/12bits.
Presets makes it possible to switch modes in a more tailor made fashion.

Danne

theBilalFakhouri

I found a workaround which make autofocus in normal preview at 10-bit as accurate as in 14-bit :)
It's not implemented yet, I just made a quick test. it will be available in next release, maybe next month.

Thanks @gabriielangel for the report and for the video.

Danne

Nice progress Bilal.
If you like I could build a custom folder tree for you to look at. I'll place it in Movie mode section. Five presets could be stashed.

theBilalFakhouri

Thanks Danne.

I have plan to make custom presets yes, also will add more Time-Lapse modes. More likely I will look into these next month since I won't have much time this month.
I will need to check how to implement these with a consideration to make/keep everything as clean as possible. I will take a look into any suggested ideas.

I will check your code regarding custom presets too, never checked that part before.
More likely I will make the custom presets menu in crop mood submenu rather than in Movie tab. I will need to check the possibilities . .

However, the source code is available online, anyone can start experminting and try making stuff if anyone want to try . .

mlrocks

Just start testing the Crop Mood built.
5.2k 1x3 ar 2.39 14 bit lossless seems not working, grey out in the raw video module. Seems the Crop Mood module controls. When changing to 10 bit, then the raw video module automatically changes to 10 bit lossless, but still grey out. But the data stream reduces accordingly.
For the same scene. Used the Bil 5/25/22 built, 650D could do 14 bit lossless AR 1.66. Now seems only able to do 10 bit lossless continuously.