Crop mood - WYSIWYG Edition (650D / 700D / EOS M / 100D)

Started by theBilalFakhouri, April 01, 2023, 06:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

names_are_hard

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 16, 2023, 09:39:22 PM
Alternative method would be to put module load flag in build zip file in SETTINGS folder, e.g. put "mlv_lite.en" inside SETTINGS folder.
This way the module will be loaded, and when it's needed to unload the module, you can do that from ML menu.

It's not tested method, but should work. In general I don't like the idea though. But it's open source code, anyone can do whatever he wants anyway :)

I do this for local testing, it does work, but I agree it's a bad idea for builds we give to users.  We're either forcing all users to use a module (why make it a module then?), or we ship multiple builds, some with it enabled, others without, also an ugly idea.  See prior post for a possibly nicer idea (more work though).

theBilalFakhouri

I answered Half-Shutter set to x10 zoom here .

Quote from: masc on April 16, 2023, 07:49:27 PM
->"choppy preview" means the black screen (HFR) and paused liveview (1080p)? 2nd works, 1st not (for me, in 2.35:1 and 2.39:1). Also here: am I doing something wrong?

Nope, choppy preview was a different issue, sometime real-time preview looked like low refresh rate with 3x3 presets while idle when setting focus box in certain positions.

Quote from: masc on April 16, 2023, 07:49:27 PM
And another problem: If I toggle between 2.8K and "Full-Res LV", I get crashes. After restart, Full-Res LV doesn't let me record (stops very quickly with invalid MLV).

Sometime I do have this problem on 700D, but it doesn't make a crash. You had to pull the battery out?
I know what's causing this issue, it only happens sometime with "Full-Res LV" preset, will try to fix it in future.

Settings to record continuously with Full-Res LV preset was mentioned in build walkthrough video.

gabriielangel

Turn off crop mood and raw video from Movie tab, can you take pictures?
Yes, it works normally. Turning off Crop mood and leaving Raw video on also works (All the modules mentioned in your video are loaded)

Some of overlays from "Overlay" tab take an effect and it's being applied on image review, that's not a bug. Turn off all overlays, re-test then report back.

I am unable to reproduce this issue now. I will let you know if I figure out what happened. (This was regarding the garbled black frame around the picture preview)

Alternative method would be to put module load flag in build zip file in SETTINGS folder, e.g. put "mlv_lite.en" inside SETTINGS folder.
This way the module will be loaded, and when it's needed to unload the module, you can do that from ML menu.

I were under the impression that pre-setting the flag which put the green light on next to the required modules (Whatever happens after we turn those on ourselves) was less involved.
I agree that all the modules should be in the list, ready to be enabled/disabled. In addition to what you pointed out, It makes it easier for a user to try something he/she read on the forum, without having to track down and add a module in the folder after the initial install.

Danne

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 16, 2023, 09:42:59 PM
Half-Shutter x10 will only work with manual focus. or maybe I am missing something, did it work in Danne build?
I put some effort into getting af working with different zoom functions on. Af works for all presets. All important ones. Af seems all broken in this build?

Danne

Quote from: names_are_hard on April 16, 2023, 09:46:02 PM
Pre-enabling modules is awkward.  Should you enable them for all users?  Bad if not everyone wants them, or there are side effects that break other use cases, etc.  Should you have multiple builds, some enabled, some not?  Bad because it's confusing about which you should use, and the build info screen would show the same info, extra confusing.  What should you do if the cam crashes?  Currently, this disables all modules on next load, a sensible feature for safety.

Perhaps better: a menu for grouping together and selecting settings?  So you'd have a list of choices, something like "Default / Astrophotography / High-res Raw Video / Secret Special Mode".  You'd select High-res Raw Video, and it would check the right modules exist, enable them if so, set options for overclocking your card, and auto-reboot (with a prompt saying it was going to do that).  A friendly error can be displayed if the pre-requisites aren't met.

That way, anyone can easily configure a complex group of settings, nobody is forced to use it, and we can have one build per cam.  And, we have a more general place to do complex one-button config, which feels like it would be useful for several tasks.  Going back to default settings if problems are encountered is also more intuitive: "cam went weird when I selected High-res Raw Video mode, I'll try Default from the same mode select menu".
My opinion. Have two builds. One with usable modules preloaded, the other version with all modules like now. Keeping mlv_rec for instance? For whom?

theBilalFakhouri

@namre_are hard

Thanks for the input, same thoughts about modules. Your suggeted idea about how to deal with loading modules seems cool, might look into it in future, it's not high priority for me though.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Danne on April 17, 2023, 07:02:08 AM
I put some effort into getting af working with different zoom functions on.

I was talking about half-shutter set to x10 zoom with af on, does this combo work? could you point to which part of your code does that?

Quote from: Danne on April 17, 2023, 07:02:08 AM
Af seems all broken in this build?

AF works like a charm in crop mood build in x10 mode from all presets (check masc video about crop mood, also gabriielangel got it working with three diffrent lenses),
no idea what are you doing, I and gabriielangel asked you what are you doing in previous replies, you don't answer, can't help you.

Quote from: Danne on April 17, 2023, 07:08:14 AM
My opinion. Have two builds. One with usable modules preloaded, the other version with all modules like now.

I won't support this step. Previous replies from me/names_are_hard already answers this . .

Quote from: Danne on April 17, 2023, 07:08:14 AM
Keeping mlv_rec for instance? For whom?

Exactly, we will never know when a user want to use a certain module and for a what purpose, that's why we should keep them.

iaburn

Did anyone get something like "Frame order error" when recording?
I was taking many videos yesterday in 2.5K 12bits, green indicator, and almost in every other video I was getting this error message.
I just had to stop and click record again and the error was gone, but it will appear again the next time.
I was using a 18-135 EFS with an adapter, and autofocus enabled for single area.
I'll do more test and see if I find a way to replicate it always

benoit

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 16, 2023, 08:47:41 PM
Give me a 5D2 so I can give you a real-time preview, working on 5D2 is simpler than 5D3 :P
I can't give you a 5D2, I need it for professional needs, but I can donate again for 1/10th of the mpb.com price. It's now 294€ for an used 5D2. Crowdfunding as you did for sd overclock or crop mood, is the solution.
So if there are nine other 5D2 users, it's ok ! Crop mood on 5D2 !!!

Other suggestion came to me yesterday : is it possible to skip a line in crop mood preview in dual-iso mode to get a clean display ? to get only low or high iso lines ?
David

Danne

Quote from: iaburn on April 17, 2023, 09:25:25 AM
I was taking many videos yesterday in 2.5K 12bits, green indicator, and almost in every other video I was getting this error message.
I just had to stop and click record again and the error was gone, but it will appear again the next time.
I was using a 18-135 EFS with an adapter, and autofocus enabled for single area.
I'll do more test and see if I find a way to replicate it always
How does the footage look? I actually turned that error message to off in my build as it never effected files visually on eos m.

Danne

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 17, 2023, 09:23:24 AM
AF works like a charm in crop mood build in x10 mode from all presets (check masc video about crop mood, also gabriielangel got it working with three diffrent lenses),
no idea what are you doing, I and gabriielangel asked you what are you doing in previous replies, you don't answer, can't help.
While recording, not working. In x10zoom it works. Pretty sure it's the same for Gabrielangel.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: iaburn on April 17, 2023, 09:25:25 AM

Sometime it happens on 700D, and yes I just stop and restart recording. This error doesn't produce corrupted frames though.

Danne

Quote from: Danne on April 17, 2023, 11:43:16 AM
While recording, not working. In x10zoom it works. Pretty sure it's the same for Gabrielangel.
@gabriellangel
If you have time could you check af possibilities while recording in x10zoom and while in regular preview and check behaviour compared to my build? I simply don't have the time atm to dig deeper.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: benoit on April 17, 2023, 11:22:34 AM
I can't give you a 5D2, I need it for professional needs,

I was just kidding :)

It's now 294€ for an used 5D2. Crowdfunding as you did for sd overclock or crop mood, is the solution.
So if there are nine other 5D2 users, it's ok ! Crop mood on 5D2 !!!

Yes, crowdfunding is a valid choice. I might do that in future, for now I will be working on 5D3 (I might get 70D soon too).
Once I finish from DIGIC 5+ models either if I give up or get something working on them (real-time preview), I might consider a 5D2.

Other suggestion came to me yesterday : is it possible to skip a line in crop mood preview in dual-iso mode to get a clean display ? to get only low or high iso lines ?

I tried similar workarounds before, like stretching preview a little, it didn't improve the preview much. Not sure if skipping lines in preview is possible, if so, I don't know how to do it.
In next release I will make Dual ISO to turn off in x10 to check focus easily.

theBilalFakhouri

Danne

I did. Think I wrote that too? Or let me check again.

vastunghia

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 17, 2023, 11:56:12 AM
Yes, crowdfunding is a valid choice. I might do that in future, for now I will be working on 5D3 (I might get 70D soon too).

:-*
5D3 for video
70D for photo

Danne

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 17, 2023, 11:58:03 AM
Turn off small hacks . .
It's the same issue I had. After first recording it stops autofocusing. Has to renew liveview to reset something to make it work again so that was kind of automated in my build. I don't expect you to hack fix this the same way.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Danne on April 17, 2023, 12:09:58 PM
It's the same issue I had. After first recording it stops autofocusing. Has to renew liveview to reset something to make it work again so that was kind of automated in my build. I don't expect you to hack fix this the same way.

Huh, now we are talking:

Issue was reproduced on 700D, same behaviour happens with WhiteBalance too, after stopping recording the first clip (in x5 mode) you will need to refresh LiveView in order to make WB has an effect after changing it.
Already figured out what's causing this issue earlier today, it's a mlv_lite bug which happens only in x5 mode after stopping recording. Already did the fix, not pushed yet, it will be available in next version.

Danne

Hehe, figured you'd fix it 😎.
Please notify when you push your commit.

gabriielangel

Quote from: Danne on April 17, 2023, 11:55:56 AM
@gabriellangel
If you have time could you check af possibilities while recording in x10zoom and while in regular preview and check behaviour compared to my build? I simply don't have the time atm to dig deeper.

Yes, You can check back tomorrow morning and I will have something for you.

@bilal, your build works flawlessly at x10 zoom, but only when idle (Pre-recording). This is why I said earlier that it just works, because it works exactly as you advertised it.

Dannes build works differently. In 2.5k  you can focus flawlessly before and while recording, but in other modes, steps have to be taken and it isn't 100%. The problem I found is that the focus box was sometimes too big compared to what you were focusing on, and it wasn't fully centered. So you had to re-enable the Canon GUI to see the arrows, put the focus box where you want it, etc.

I will give you all the details I have tomorrow morning also.

monkey

@theBilalFakhouri many hours was spent and result is  stunning!

I've faced an issue with Shutter fine-tunning (Movie>Image fine-tunning>Shutter fine-tunning)
The setting influences Shutter speed while recording (what is expected) but in other way.

Shutter speed is changing gradually till reached limit. Increasing or decreasing depending if fine-tunning value is negative or positive.

The issue is presented in Dane's build but only for negative fine-tunning value

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: gabriielangel on April 17, 2023, 02:26:45 PM
Dannes build works differently. In 2.5k  you can focus flawlessly before and while recording, but in other modes, steps have to be taken and it isn't 100%. The problem I found is that the focus box was sometimes too big compared to what you were focusing on, and it wasn't fully centered. So you had to re-enable the Canon GUI to see the arrows, put the focus box where you want it, etc.

If you turn off small hacks you can do focusing while recording too in crop mood build (it will be more reliable in next release).

BTW, the camera doesn't care about focus box size in Canon GUI while focusing (it's big because we are patching our prestes in x5 mode, focus box size is bigger than x1 mode).
I already discoverd how to resize focus box in Canon GUI ( i.e from where the camera load resizing values), the details will be available soon.

I think we can do many more things with crop mood, it's more like just a beginning for now . . a lot of things can be improved.

theBilalFakhouri

@monkey

Shutter fine-tuning is broken when using Small hacks with "More".
Set it to "ON" if you want to use shutter fine-tuning, but this will make write speed slower, at high resolutions you will have limited recording times.

theBilalFakhouri

First post was updated with latest updates, also added download link:

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 01, 2023, 06:37:50 PM
-What's included in this topic, quick toggle:

April 01 announcement    ● Preview evolution                  ● Crop mood presets
It's a new source-code     ● Build features                       ● Known issues
Supported models           ● My status with ML                 ● Thanks
Build walkthrough video   ● Fundraiser campaign             ● It's online!
Downloads                      ● ISOless fix for 650D / 700D   ● Source code