Crop mood - WYSIWYG Edition (650D / 700D / EOS M / 100D)

Started by theBilalFakhouri, April 01, 2023, 06:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2blackbar

Tried it on M, my cam is gettting very hot, enabed modules like mlv_rec,crop_rec and file_man
I cant even record one video at 1920x1440 where its about 40mb required speed cause it stops after few seconds.
pretty weird especially cause it works for others and it works great with previous builds.

So... quickly tried previous builds and yeah it works great as usual up to 2.8k but this one cant get past 3 seconds in lowest resolutions

theBilalFakhouri

@iaburn

Thank you!, I am glad you liked the new build, thanks for sharing your thoughts/results! :)

Quote from: iaburn on April 15, 2023, 12:33:46 AM
I got use to Danne's custom shortcuts (ISO with up/down, etc) and I would have to adapt or find how to change shortcuts, but the build is still a pleasure to use.

I will implement customized buttons in future release, yes it seems useful, beside many EOS M users reported the same thing :)

Quote from: iaburn on April 15, 2023, 12:33:46 AM
You spent many hours in this update theBilalFakhouri, but that was a very well invested time. Can't wait to go out and test it tomorrow :D

Thank again! I think this is the build which I have dreamed to have back in 2018, it's true now :D

Quote from: pmiramon on April 15, 2023, 12:34:13 AM
I seem to remember that the black frames were loaded as images.

Hmmm, didn't understand what do you exactly mean here? :-\
Are you refering to "Cropmarks" from "Overlay" tab in ML menu? These are different from RAW video (mlv_lite) cropmarks . . If yes, I am not sure why you did mention it . .

Quote from: iaburn on April 15, 2023, 12:48:01 AM
I'm reviewing some samples and it looks like the focus pixels removal is not working for some modes like the 2.8K on the EOS M (2880x1226). I have old 2.8K clips (2800x1192) and it works fine on those.
Do some modes need new focus pixels maps for MLVApp?

New presets mean we will need new focus maps. We can use current exiting focus maps and update the offset (RAW height and width with black borders) to match new preset.
I will post a topic explains how to do it tomorrow. It's simple process.

theBilalFakhouri

@2blackbar

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 14, 2023, 09:31:26 PM
Please make sure you watch "Crop mood - Build Walkthrough" video before asking questions:

Here is the video Crop mood - Build Walkthrough . Make sure you watch it carefully. Pay attention to the comments.
I will be happy to answer your questions after that if you have any.

For reporting issues:
https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

SebastianC

https://youtu.be/Yxpgamcxrqg

Magic Lantern Eos100d raw video 2.8K

Camera: Canon 100d
Lens: EF 24-70mm DI VC USD G2 & Helio 55mm f2 
crop_mood.2023Apr01.100D101.zip

Thanks, BilalFakhouri!

lightspeed

can you do kill global draw still? is it not needed in this version?

cedricp

Congratulations, it's finally the release I dreamt for!
It's working flawlessly and it's very responsive. As said previously, the only missing thing is button customisation.
Thank you again

essbe

Tested the build now, and it is wonderful, thank you Bilal! As stated earlier, for the eos m the button customisation for changing ISO and aperture with up and down arrows from Dannes build is really the only thing missing. It is quite important for smooth use with the EOS M, as you have to click into menus to change these things otherwise. Again, thank you!

Larouso

Also did the first tests in the morning - this build works so well, it is in fact the promissed game-changer! Thank you so much for your work.
Surely not your motivation but wanted to say anyway: Every Euro of the donation was spent so so well ! Hopefully a model that may continue. 

2 remarks:
- Is there any way to set 10x zoom to a customizable button? EOS-M is not having a dedicated one on the back.
"Zoom on half press shutter" is not working for me in this build. Having a dedicated button or being able not to switch to "framing preview" on half press shutter would be great (I dont need framing prv any more with this beautiful build)  :)

- I do hope so much at some point in thime this will find it`s way to 5D M3 ... What a killer that would be ... just dreaming :)

Thanks again so much Bilal. AND everyone of course, who made it possible in the first place with previous building bocks!!!

masc

Quote from: iaburn on April 15, 2023, 12:48:01 AM
I'm reviewing some samples and it looks like the focus pixels removal is not working for some modes like the 2.8K on the EOS M (2880x1226). I have old 2.8K clips (2800x1192) and it works fine on those.
Do some modes need new focus pixels maps for MLVApp?
Please try again. Uploaded a map.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

iaburn

Quote from: masc on April 15, 2023, 11:12:15 AM
Please try again. Uploaded a map.

I thought I was having visions! I just tried to edit a clip and MLVApp asked to download the map, and after that it worked haha  :o
Thank you!!!!

2blackbar

:o Oh man, i tried setting hacks to MORE and used mlvlite instead of mlv 2 , and i can do even 3k recording now which was not possible, its fantastic
This is pretty amazing , even better than i expected.Also i can finally get 1920x1440 with c mount lenses
Im curious whats the highest crop resolution above 3k that people can record on fastests cards out there....
I agree with bringing back up/down for iso change so we dont have to touch screen at all when recording res is set

pmiramon

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 15, 2023, 03:50:10 AM
Hmmm, didn't understand what do you exactly mean here? :-\
Are you refering to "Cropmarks" from "Overlay" tab in ML menu? These are different from RAW video (mlv_lite) cropmarks . . If yes, I am not sure why you did mention it . .

Yes, I was referring to those from Overlay tab. I always thought that was the way to get the aspect ratio frame! :-\  Sorry if I've confused you, you're more knowledgeable about it and you know the way!

Grognard

It is fantastic! Almost perfect.

What are missing in my opinion?

- as already said for the M custom buttons are missing.
- Before we were able to use x3 zoom even when recording it was a really good option even better than x10 zoom too blury for me.
- real 24.00 FPS
- realtime preview in 3k mode or almost realtime preview ;) but not necessary because 2880 are almot the same résolution.

- raw zébras don't work well but it 's not necessary too.

- it's stlll Eos M and 5d mark iii are still much better ;) and I hope for a 3.5 1:1 and 5.7k 1:3 realtime preview ;)

Corallaro

I made some little test with EOS M.....GREAT WORK!!  :D :D

theBilalFakhouri

Thank you everyone! very glad you liked the new build in a way or another :)
Will try to reply on questions/suggestions as soon as possible.

Okay, for now, the most requested feature is Customize buttons, here is a new build,:
(April16)

-Added Customize buttons setting in Prefs tab (thanks Danne, his code helped):

Choices for each button:

• Half-Shutter:  OFF, Zoom x10
  • SET Button:   OFF, Zoom x10, ISO, Aperture
  • INFO Button:  OFF, Zoom x10, ISO, Aperture
  • U/D Arrows:   OFF, ISO, Aperture
  • L/R Arrows:    OFF, ISO, Aperture

Any suggestions for more choices?

-Added Kill Global Draw option in RAW video submenu:

-Fixed choppy preview while idle in 1080p 3x3 and HFR modes
-INFO button (if not assigned) will be blocked when using HDMI in 1080i output while recording, to prevent preview switch and corrupted frames.

The new crop mood build versions will always be in this link:

Crop mood builds - Downloads

Will update the first post later with the download link and make some edits.

gabriielangel

The following applies to the eos m, magiclantern-crop_mood.2023Apr16.EOSM202.zip:
Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 16, 2023, 12:49:10 AM
Any suggestions for more choices?

-It would be a good idea to add false colors to SET and/or INFO. When recording Bright colors (Like yellow or red tulips, or neon signs) even if the histogram shows 1.0, some colors will clip.
The false colors catches all the peaks, so as long as you don't see any red, you are good to go. This allows you to stay as close to 1.0 as possible without underexposing too much)

-The x10 options you added will make it easy to pre-focus in one step, nice! (As opposed to having to press INFO, tap the loupe, focus, tap the loupe again and then press info to return to preview and then hit record)

-The autofocus just works! (in idle state) I tried with 3 different lenses (EF and ef-m) and the focus is always spot on, as long as you use the  Zoom x10  and you use the arrows on screen to bring the focus box right where you want it.

-Recording times are comparable to Danne's build, but now those are a lot more consistent.
The 11bit option is a nice addition, as it allows to get decent recording times with the Highest 1x3 option (5.2k) with nicer noise in the shadows than 10bits.

There is one thing requiring a workaround:

It is not possible to take pictures in photo mode. Workaround is to press and hold the set button while powering on the camera. The camera will then work as expected in Canon mode.
Steps to reproduce the issue:

Choose one of the two photo modes
Power on the camera
Half-shutter to focus, take a picture
Try taking a second picture, it won't work. You need to restart the camera. (You may be able to take a picture if you go to x10 mode and snap from there)

Also, when pressing play to review clips, it is not possible to go back to recording mode by pressing MENU, you have to restart the camera or do a battery pull.

For those who miss Danne's tap screen presets:
As every resolution needs a different bitrate to get optimal recording times, switching resolutions can be tedious. You may want to use 5.2k/11bit or 4.8k/12bit to get a wider field of view and then switch to 2.5k/14bit  or 2.8k/12bit on the next shot to get a closeup without the binning artifacts (thin vertical lines, diagonals, etc.)

You could take the easy way and always use 12bits and use 4.8k instead of 5.2k;

OR (this was my favorite method as it kept you from tapping the screen accidentally and changing presets when you didn't feel like it)

By using the Config preset option, you can have a total of 4 different configs at startup, 3 by holding either INFO, MENU or PLAY while turning on the camera, and one by just pressing on/off.

How to do it:

Go in ML menu (Hold Trash can)
Go in Prefs
Go in Config options (first choice)
Go in Config preset, set it to Startup key

Now, turn off the camera.

Turn on the camera while holding either INFO, MENU or PLAY;
The first time, You will have to re-enable the modules and do the whole setup Bilal shows in his walkthrough video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0M7n2cAHMM
So each restart will have to be done with the same startup key combination until you are done enabling everything;
Set the proper Crop Mode (or rather Crop mood), Preset, bitrate and button customizations;
Turn off the camera.

Repeat for every Startup key combination.

You will now be able to switch presets on the fly without having to remember all the details.

And finally, for those who forgot:

Pressing the Right button (+/-  button) once will allow you to use the wheel to set the aperture. Right button again to go back to shutter speed (It will go back to shutter speed selection by itself after a while)

DeafEyeJedi

Whaaat the actual F#%k did I just come across to? Ya, I remember seeing those dreamy post back in 2018 from Bilal when he was trying to revamp Danne's work. I mean this is all remarkable and giving me the goosebumps. 8)

Now it's time for me to pull out a bunch of EOSM's/SL1's that I've scooped up over the years in anticipating for this very moment. In fact, I'm already shopping to find some extra used ones on OfferUp locally.

@Danne — what's your PayPal so I can donate you some as well? Much love! :P

@BilalFakhouri — let me know how I can contribute by utilizing M2 again. Happy to lend a hand and troubleshoot.

Been having the itch to revive myself back in this sacred space for quite some time.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Danne

EDIT: Hi Deafeyejedi! Nice to hear from you :).

I have custom modes in my build if one wants presets. Could be implemented. No need for Startup key.

Af is broken. Works randomly. Turning off hacks doesn´t help. Tested mainly with 1x3 modes. 22mm f2 lens.
mv1080p mode only aspect ratio 3:2? Enabling like 16:9 from RAW video works but no cropmarks?

I miss your focus regs while recording. Magic zoom is working but the overhead with it enabled caused early stop with higher framerates. Generally I think global draw functions costs too much overhead while recording raw.

HDR video now working. No idea how you fixed that. Never worked without workaround before.
Very clean code. Seems you based crop_rec on a1ex later code and then went from there? Pretty impressive stuff.

Customized buttons. L/R makes no sense for eos m. There are no phyiscal buttons here even if seemingly so.
Assigning aperture to a single button (INFO) or similar makes little sense as it´s only moving towards smaller aperture.
Nice with iso buttons up/down again.

Framing could be turned off when in realtime mode. No sense to enable it on halfshutter maybe for except presets with cropped realtime preview.

A lot of stuff could be rearranged into the Movie tab and I would probably automate install and exclude most of the modules to avoid confusion but that´s my personal opinion. I probably would put in tap display too  :P.

Overall very stable build. Very good work.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: lightspeed on April 15, 2023, 07:11:18 AM
can you do kill global draw still? is it not needed in this version?

Done!

@Anyone asking about customize buttons:
Customize buttons for Zoom x10, ISO and Aperture are Done too :)

Quote from: Larouso on April 15, 2023, 11:08:32 AM
2 remarks:
"Zoom on half press shutter" is not working for me in this build.

This option only work while in x1 LV mode, not meant to be used in x5 mode. When using Crop mood, all of our presets are being patched in x5 mode, if you turn OFF Crop mood and set LiveView to x1, that option will work.
Anyway, Customize buttons is implemented for Crop mood.

Having a dedicated button or being able not to switch to "framing preview" on half press shutter would be great (I dont need framing prv any more with this beautiful build)  :)

Yes, I agree. Framing preview on half-shutter press was implemented a long time ago for RAW video, this is the way how it work in all official builds.
Will make an option to skip Framing preview on half-shutter press under RAW video submenu in future release.

- I do hope so much at some point in thime this will find it`s way to 5D M3 ... What a killer that would be ... just dreaming :)

I hope that too :)

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: 2blackbar on April 15, 2023, 02:06:50 PM
:o Oh man, i tried setting hacks to MORE and used mlvlite instead of mlv 2 , and i can do even 3k recording now which was not possible, its fantastic
This is pretty amazing , even better than i expected.

Now we are talking :D

Also i can finally get 1920x1440 with c mount lenses

I think a preset with 2240x1680 resolution 4:3 AR in 1:1 is possible with real-time preview, the might preview might need more work because in this case we are dealing 4:3 preview on 3:2 screen.
Does it cover C mount lenses without vignetting? You can try 2240x1680 res with Full-Res LV preset, set resolution from RAW video to 2240 and AR to 4:3.

I am wondering why you are using 4:3 aspect ratio?

Im curious whats the highest crop resolution above 3k that people can record on fastests cards out there....

We don't have higher resolution than what can 3K 1:1 preset offer which is 3072x1308 @ 23.976 FPS (we almost reached sensor speed limit).

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: pmiramon on April 15, 2023, 02:20:24 PM
Yes, I was referring to those from Overlay tab. I always thought that was the way to get the aspect ratio frame! :-\  Sorry if I've confused you, you're more knowledgeable about it and you know the way!

Nope, these are separated from RAW video black crop marks. Cropmarks In Overlay tab were mainly made to help with framing shots and composition.
I am still trying to figure out how get RAW video cropmarks work correctly with Crop mood presets (in other words in x5 mode, since we are patching our presets there).

You didn't confuse me, no problem!

iaburn

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 16, 2023, 12:49:10 AM
Thank you everyone! very glad you liked the new build in a way or another :)
Will try to reply on questions/suggestions as soon as possible.

Okay, for now, the most requested feature is Customize buttons, here is a new build,:

Getting better and better, thanks!!  :D

I see that (on EOS M) "Small hacks" includes now the "All" option, in addition to "More". Was that intentional?

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Grognard on April 15, 2023, 07:13:08 PM
It is fantastic! Almost perfect.

Thanks!

What are missing in my opinion?

- as already said for the M custom buttons are missing.

Done :)

- Before we were able to use x3 zoom even when recording it was a really good option even better than x10 zoom too blury for me.

Just to make sure, could you record a video shows how this option work? Is it the same as "Magic Zoom V2" in my old builds?

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on September 18, 2020, 07:51:30 PM
[gifv]https://i.imgur.com/H81QemC.mp4[/gifv]

- real 24.00 FPS
- realtime preview in 3k mode or almost realtime preview ;) but not necessary because 2880 are almot the same résolution.

Will do these in future release!

- raw zébras don't work well but it 's not necessary too.

How can I enable RAW Zebras? I don't use this option, but I can check it.

- it's stlll Eos M and 5d mark iii are still much better ;) and I hope for a 3.5 1:1 and 5.7k 1:3 realtime preview ;)

Maybe someday in future  :)

In near future I will start to make 5D3 builds too, will make it work same as Crop mood (without real-time previews for now).
Any input/opinion on this is welcome. Are current Crop mood menus design good enough to adapt it and keep it? Can we improve it more?

Quote from: Corallaro on April 15, 2023, 07:55:36 PM
I made some little test with EOS M.....GREAT WORK!!  :D :D

Thanks!

gabriielangel

Quote from: Danne on April 16, 2023, 07:37:20 AM
I probably would put in tap display too  :P.
Overall very stable build. Very good work.

If putting tap display, the arrows on screen  near the focus box (Those appear when in x10) need to be available without interfering, as those are needed for proper autofocus.

@danne, could you please confirm that you get inaccurate focus even when in x10 mode? (INFO, Loupe icon, focus)

If so, I will need to test Lens/Cam combinations with my other cams to avoid surprises...

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: gabriielangel on April 16, 2023, 03:20:47 AM
-It would be a good idea to add false colors to SET and/or INFO.

Okay, will try to do it in future release.

-The x10 options you added will make it easy to pre-focus in one step, nice!

Happy to hear that!

-The autofocus just works! (in idle state) I tried with 3 different lenses (EF and ef-m) and the focus is always spot on, as long as you use the  Zoom x10  and you use the arrows on screen to bring the focus box right where you want it.

Great! this is how AF supposed to work in this build!

-Recording times are comparable to Danne's build, but now those are a lot more consistent.

Cool, it could be even better that my old builds too (didn't make real tests), I tried to reduce overhead as much as possible in the new build.

The 11bit option is a nice addition, as it allows to get decent recording times with the Highest 1x3 option (5.2k) with nicer noise in the shadows than 10bits.

Yes, same thought here too! 11-bit is nice sweet spot IMO. I use it with 5.2K 1x3 too!

It is not possible to take pictures in photo mode. Workaround is to press and hold the set button while powering on the camera. The camera will then work as expected in Canon mode.

What's the case with Danne build? same issue?
This is an EOS M issue only, other supported models don't have it. Is it the same as shutter bug known issue?

Does Photo mode work if modules are not loaded? Why if they are loaded but turned off?

Steps to reproduce the issue:

I might not able to help with solving this issue, mainly because I don't have EOS M. If this issue is also presented in official ML builds, that mean it's not exclusive here (I didn't break photo mode on EOS M, it was already broken).

Also, when pressing play to review clips, it is not possible to go back to recording mode by pressing MENU, you have to restart the camera or do a battery pull.

You could exit by pressing half-shutter button right? or by using arrows and press on "Exit" on MLV play GUI?
On 700D when MLV playback is running, MENU button doesn't do anything too.

What did you excpet it to do? was pressing MENU button in Danne build make the camera exit from playback to LiveView?