Eos 650d not working after an attempt to install magic lantern

Started by MANGOMHF, March 09, 2023, 08:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MANGOMHF

Hi, I followed this guide https://builds.magiclantern.fm/650D-104.html it failed during installation and was unsuccessful. Now when i boot it my Eos 650D it requires me  to install a firmware. I tried reinstalling 104 but it gets stuck at 44% same with 105. I get the error @update file error. Please check memory card and reload the battery and try again.

Things i',ve done so far; Fully charge battery and try again, Download firmware from official site, New SD Card, nothing works.

Please advise.

kitor

Try to install a specific version of canon firmware. Note down the version number.
After it fails, Create a rom dump using a portable rom dumper from https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16534.0
I am interested in dump in current state, not previous copies.
Then upload somewhere and send it to me via private message. I'll take a look.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R or RP mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

MANGOMHF

After reading the requirements

- a memory card formatted as FAT12/16/32 (exFAT won't work) I can do that
- for autoexec.bin: boot flag enabled in the camera (e.g. ML already installed) + bootable card (EOSCard, MacBoot, make_bootable.sh, QEMU image) My camera does not boot. It says "Update file cannot be found. Please check the memory card and reload the battery and try again."

kitor

You clearly didn't read FAQ and thus doesn't know what "bootflag" is.
If you tried to install ML (you saw Magic Lantern Install on your camera screen) then you most likely have bootflag enabled, so it should work if you prepare your card with EOScard.

Quoteit failed during installation and was unsuccessful.
This is a very general description. Can you elaborate more? What it did/said?
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R or RP mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

MANGOMHF

That's true, i didn't read as much. i thought it would be just few clicks but i was wrong and got myself into a hole.

During installation it showed a red message saying installation unsuccessful. I don't know what bootflag is sadly for me.. I have download EOScard and this is how things are right now https://i.imgur.com/lSGe6y8.png

names_are_hard

When you say "during installation" - are you talking about a Magic Lantern step, or are you only talking about changing your camera firmware to version 1.0.4?

From the installation steps here, please copy and paste the line of the instructions you were following when you first noticed a problem, and tell us what that problem was:
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/650D-104.html

MANGOMHF

During magic lantern step. I hope there is a fix for me...

MANGOMHF

When i try to install an official firmware 1.0.4 or 1.0.5 it goes up til 44% and then gives me this error https://i.imgur.com/TqEvcru.jpeg

names_are_hard

Please do what I asked:

From the installation steps here, please copy and paste the line of the instructions you were following when you first noticed a problem, and tell us what that problem was:
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/650D-104.html

Thanks!

MANGOMHF

Hello there, thank you for stopping by.

I followed step 1, then formatted my SD card from the camera, i plugged in the SD card to my computer and extracted/copied the files from magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jul03.650D104_3.zip to my SD card. Then i ran the Firmware Update process from Canon menu. during the installation was it gave an error in red font about it failing to install. Then i restarted my camera and its been asking for a firmware since then.

names_are_hard

Thanks, that's a better description.  Do you remember what the original error was?  The "red font" one.  If you took a picture of it that would be ideal.

You should get rom dumps as kitor suggested.  If this is not working, please explain why.

MANGOMHF

I don't know how to dump rom. From my understanding, a memory card formatted as FAT12/16/32, download autoexec.bin and copy it to sd card then run it in the camera. that will work if i have ML installed which i don't. Are there other ways of dumping roms? Sorry for bothering you guys. i am totally a newbie on this.

names_are_hard

It should work without ML installed, assuming the bootflag on the cam got set (probably happened during your attempt to install).  Your camera does boot, it just shows an error after it boots.

You need to put the rescue autoexec.bin on a card that has been marked bootable (with EOSCard).

You didn't answer my previous question - do you remember what the "red font" error said?  Or, if you have it, a photo.

names_are_hard

Ah, one possibility to try: use a different card.  It's possible the card is broken and the firmware file is corrupt because of this.

Do try the rescue autoexec.bin, but, after that, use a different SD card with Canon FIR update file, and try to update the firmware.

kitor

Quote from: MANGOMHF on March 10, 2023, 02:16:38 AM
I don't know how to dump rom. From my understanding, a memory card formatted as FAT12/16/32, download autoexec.bin and copy it to sd card then run it in the camera. that will work if i have ML installed which i don't. Are there other ways of dumping roms? Sorry for bothering you guys. i am totally a newbie on this.

First of all, using a different card (try to find something 16GB or smaller, formatted as FAT16/32), try to install the firmware version that you had before you tried to use Magic Lantern (what was the version?)
You said each time firmware update stops at the same 44%, doesn't matter of firmware version you try. This step shall fix the firmware if it was partially overwritten.

If the camera still won't boot, then:
- format card as FAT16/32
- run EOScard.exe from https://eoscard.pel.hu/. Select Magic Lantern logo. If it asks you to select Magic Lantern version - select anything. Click on save.
- Open card contents. Delete all files (autoexec.bin, ml-install.fir, ML directory...). Do not format it, just delete the files.
- Get autoexec.bin ML rescue from the first post https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16534.0
- Put it on your card
- Remove battery from your camera
- Put card into your camera
- Put battery in and try to power up your camera.

If it works, it will show you ML Rescue and dump the roms.
If it doesn't, it may be hard to fix without using internal debug port as we can't create .FIR variants anymore.

Your case may be similar to https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=26789.0.
Too many Canon cameras.

MANGOMHF

kitor

Okey, maybe I forgot how to use EOSCard. I think it downloaded unified zip if none was provided...

Quote- Get autoexec.bin ML rescue from the first post https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16534.0
- Put it on your card

File must be named autoexec.bin. (noticed you have _3 in name)
Do it before using EOSCard this time. It shouldn't ask you for any zip anymore.
Too many Canon cameras.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: MANGOMHF on March 10, 2023, 01:37:31 PM
What am i doing wrong here.

Nothing. Ignore error message. Just make sure both EOS_DEVELOP and BOOTDISK are set after terminating EOScard and restarting it. If checkboxes are not set after EOScard restart: Run EOScard as administrator and redo.

MANGOMHF

I managed to run eos as admin and checkmark on both then copied autoexec.bin into the card and to my camera but nothing happens. camera is still looking for a "firmware". I guess i will take it to the repair shop and see what would it cost to have it repaired.

Thank you all for your kind help.

Walter Schulz

You have to follow this rule: Always insert card first, close card compartment door. Then insert battery and close compartment door.
Does it work now?

kitor

One more question - what happens when you extract Magic Lantern zip on that extracted card and put it in camera - will it start ML Install?

Also, which of the errors was displayed? (red text)

Could not backup ROM
MAIN_FIRMWARE flag is DISABLED! / Please contact ML developers for a fix.
Could not enable boot flag.
Could not disable boot flag.

Too many Canon cameras.

MANGOMHF

I think it was the MAIN_FIRMWARE flag is DISABLED! / Please contact ML developers for a fix. then i was able to navigate in the camera with an overlay at the bottom in red text.

I also insert the card first then the battery but my camera turns on EVEN when its set on Off. kinda wierd. All it takes for it to turn on is to insert the battery.

Is is possible that i send it to one of you guys to have it fixed? i don't mind shipping it at this point.

or should i take it to the shop somewhere local and have them figure it out (which i doubt they would).

kitor

QuoteI also insert the card first then the battery but my camera turns on EVEN when its set on Off. kinda wierd. All it takes for it to turn on is to insert the battery.

This is normal in this state. Nothing to worry for that particular behavior.

QuoteMAIN_FIRMWARE flag is DISABLED! / Please contact ML developers for a fix.
This means it failed a very crucial check before it tried to do anything. Fault was probably already there, but hidden...

Quoteor should i take it to the shop somewhere local and have them figure it out (which i doubt they would).
Most shops will just replace main board. And this is expensive, most likely not worth it.

QuoteIs is possible that i send it to one of you guys to have it fixed? i don't mind shipping it at this point.
There's a chance it is a easy fix if we had physical access to the camera.
There's still a chance it can be done remotely.

Let's start from the beginning:

When you started, you had 1.0.4 firmware right? (since 650D requires 1.0.4)
Now:
- Get a 16GB (or less) card.
- Format on PC, FAT32
- Put firmware update with 1.0.4 on it
- Safely remove card from PC
- Remove battery from camera
- Put card into the camera
- Insert battery into camera
- Wait for it until update either success or fail.

If it succeed, viola. But I assume it won't.

If it failed:
- Format card again on PC, FAT32
- Extract zip from https://builds.magiclantern.fm/650D-104.html onto the card
- Run EOScard, same procedure as before (EOS_DEVELOP and BOOTDISK flags must be turned ON)
- Safely remove card from PC
- Remove battery from camera
- Put card into the camera
- Put battery into the camera. Let it turn on
- What do you see on the camera screen?
Too many Canon cameras.

MANGOMHF

Thank you for your kind support. I really appreciate it.

Following your update steps as you figured it wouldn't work and here is a video of it

But Since i ran EOScard as admin and selected both, it worked without any errors. link to youtube for this is here

And i get this message on camera

kitor

Ok, during original "installation" there were ROM backups created on a card - ML/LOGS/ROM0.BIN and ML/LOGS/ROM1.BIN - do you have them still?

QuoteFollowing your update steps as you figured it wouldn't work and here is a video of it
Just to make sure: this was 1.0.4? Where did you get this 1.0.4 update from?

If you now delete all files from the card (do not format, do not use EOSCard again) and put one from thread https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16534.0, is there any change in behavior or it still displays Firmware update required?
QuoteLatest download: autoexec.bin (2020Aug17, updated for EOS R/RP/90D/250D - only after enabling bootflag via UART)
Too many Canon cameras.