5D Mark II can't boot up with CF card inserted after I uninstall magic lantern

Started by AngeloW, February 28, 2023, 09:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngeloW

Hello,
I was using ML's nightly build for my 5D Mark II, then I decided to try out the builds can use crop mode to film. So I unintsalled ML in the "format card" option in camera, and pressed the picture style button to select not to keep ML. After the process is completed, I turned down camera, then it can't boot up. So I simply took the card out. Then it can boot up. In the menu, it says Firmware Ver. 2.1.2, there is no ML thing after it. I've tried out the diagnostic tools. But none of them worked. I guess it is because there is no ML left. Later I found another topic metioned the "eoscard". I tried it as well, but it is the same. The camera still can't boot up. I've tried all these methods for my three CF cards. I've searched the form but is seems to be no one has exactly the same problem with me. So I start a new topic.

AngeloW

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: AngeloW on February 28, 2023, 10:05:42 AM
Sorry for the mistake in title, it should be CF card.

I think you can modify the your first post and title, right?
I just edited it to CF :)

AngeloW

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on February 28, 2023, 11:27:59 AM
I think you can modify the your first post and title, right?
I just edited it to CF :)
Thanks for that, it took me a while to find the modify button. Anyway, can you help me with the problem?  :)

Walter Schulz

There are 3 things needed to make ML work:
- Camera bootflag set. This is done during installation and undone by ... TATA! .. installation but after 60 seconds timeout sets in.
- Bootable card. This is done during installation, too and can be done by utilities like EOScard. It can be undone by installation running into timeout or formatting in cam with "Do not keep ML" option set or just by formatting it using a cardreader.
- Autoexec.bin located on card's root directory. This is actually "ML" and it will alter firmware string if loaded.

A cam with bootflag set will look for a bootable card at startup. If a bootable card is found it will try to locate autoexec.bin and load it.

By formatting the card inside the camera with "Do not keep ML" option you are actually not uninstalling ML from the cam. You just removed "bootable" from card.

If you want to remove ML completely you have to run installation again and wait for timeout.

If cam is stuck you should always remove battery first.

AngeloW

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 28, 2023, 03:12:51 PM
There are 3 things needed to make ML work:
- Camera bootflag set. This is done during installation and undone by ... TATA! .. installation but after 60 seconds timeout sets in.
- Bootable card. This is done during installation, too and can be done by utilities like EOScard. It can be undone by installation running into timeout or formatting in cam with "Do not keep ML" option set or just by formatting it using a cardreader.
- Autoexec.bin located on card's root directory. This is actually "ML" and it will alter firmware string if loaded.

A cam with bootflag set will look for a bootable card at startup. If a bootable card is found it will try to locate autoexec.bin and load it.

By formatting the card inside the camera with "Do not keep ML" option you are actually not uninstalling ML from the cam. You just removed "bootable" from card.

If you want to remove ML completely you have to run installation again and wait for timeout.

If cam is stuck you should always remove battery first.
Thanks for reply.
But currently I have the problem that I cannot boot up with CF card inside the camera. Even if I put the ML files in the root folder of the CF card. I tried low level format, EOScard. It still can't boot up. The led won't flash, the screen won't turn on. None of the diagnostic tools gave any result. Is there anyway I can reinstall ML?

Walter Schulz

Remove card, remove battery.
Format card using cardreader.
Insert card.
Insert battery. (in this order!)
Close compartment doors.
Are you able to startup now?

It is essential to remove battery after each stall/failed startup.

EDIT: You are not using SD-to-CF adapters, right?

AngeloW

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 28, 2023, 04:15:43 PM
Remove card, remove battery.
Format card using cardreader.
Insert card.
Insert battery. (in this order!)
Close compartment doors.
Are you able to startup now?

It is essential to remove battery after each stall/failed startup.

EDIT: You are not using SD-to-CF adapters, right?
I have been trying it this morning, follow the order you said, sadly nothing happened. I am not using adapters. And I can make sure that my cards still function. I've tested them in my friend's camera.

Walter Schulz

Thanks for the update!

Next step: Run EOScard as admin. Select card and mark checkboxes "EOS_DEVELOP" and "BOOTDISK". Press Save button and ignore error messages.
Check card content. If there are other files/directories but DCIM and MISC: Delete them.
Extract ML files and directories from zip and copy everything (autoexec.bin, ML-SETUP.FIR and ML dir) to card.

Remove battery.
Insert card
Close card compartment door
Insert battery
Close battery compartment door

Try to startup camera.
If it doesn't work:
Remove battery and card.
Check CFcard slot for bent and missing pins.

If everything fails: We have some other tricks in sleeve ...

AngeloW

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 01, 2023, 08:24:54 AM
Thanks for the update!

Next step: Run EOScard as admin. Select card and mark checkboxes "EOS_DEVELOP" and "BOOTDISK". Press Save button and ignore error messages.
Check card content. If there are other files/directories but DCIM and MISC: Delete them.
Extract ML files and directories from zip and copy everything (autoexec.bin, ML-SETUP.FIR and ML dir) to card.

Remove battery.
Insert card
Close card compartment door
Insert battery
Close battery compartment door

Try to startup camera.
If it doesn't work:
Remove battery and card.
Check CFcard slot for bent and missing pins.

If everything fails: We have some other tricks in sleeve ...

Thanks for staying with me,
I tried EOScard on both of my cards, but it can't boot up just like before. I noticed that, after the EOScard finish its job, there is no folder names "DCIM" or "MISC" in the card. But I carry on. Putting the latest nightly build ML in the card than I insert it into the camera. And I follow your steps, first card then battery. I checked the slot, find one pin is shorter than others, is this the way it should be? I will put the picture here. I think I might need your tricks now.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/32HoHYP9K2dvhvza8

By the way, can I know which time zone you are living in. Maybe I can stay up late to reply you in time. :)

Walter Schulz

UTC+1. Same as kitor who will have to jump in if everything fails.
And we will switch to Discord, too.

Here is a pic showing CF pins. Pin 25 is shorter than all others and 3 pins are longer.
https://2.img-dpreview.com/files/p/TS940x940~forums/64382927/4e8633dace494fdaa4c8b751467f600e

AngeloW

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 01, 2023, 12:39:11 PM
UTC+1. Same as kitor who will have to jump in if everything fails.
And we will switch to Discord, too.

Here is a pic showing CF pins. Pin 25 is shorter than all others and 3 pins are longer.
https://2.img-dpreview.com/files/p/TS940x940~forums/64382927/4e8633dace494fdaa4c8b751467f600e
Carefully checked, all pins are fine. Thanks for all the help you've provided for me. Really appreciated.

AngeloW

Problem is now clear. The CF card slot is damaged. Two pins in the front are pushed down a little bit.

kitor

... and they did a short circuit inside, welding together with other pins. Bad luck and timing.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R or RP mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.