[DONE?] Determine amount of pictures at continuous shoot

Started by SDX, August 26, 2012, 07:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDX

I have added a little feature to the motion detect function. Something, that I missed much - taking several, fast pictures when motion detected. Based on this from alex, i now added this function.

Because we all love videos, I made one.

Now comes the problem. As you already might have noticed in the video, I set a "Continuous shoot"-value. This value, however, is not the amount of pictures which should be taken. It is the amount of time (in 1/10 seconds) in which a pressed down shutter button should be simulated. But I want the setting to be the actual amount of pictures.

I see two solutions for this:
- Calculate the amount of time required to take n-amount of pictures. This would then of course vary from camera to camera. Also, the use of rawdata would have effect.
- Count the amount of images taken. But I have no idea how to do this.

a1ex

I think this may work: hold the shutter pressed for a while and look at file_number value (from property.h / propvalues.h): when it increases by X, it probably took X pictures, so release the button.

SDX

That value doesn't increase directly. As far as I can see first when the shutter is released again. Same counts for shutter_count.

checomx

What I do on my 50D is to set the "motion detect" on with the "HDR bracketing" function at the same time. and I set in the hdr brackerting menu the number of frames to be taken and with no EV increment.

Another think that I do is to set the auto power off to "never"  and I enable the "powre Save" function, dim display after 5 secs and turn off the LCD and LV after 5 secs too. this is to save battery power and this really works on me

Hope this works for you too

SDX

Until now I also used a HDR-dummy, but it was too slow. I know that the camera can do more than that ;)
They way I solved it now isn't a big problem and I think most people wouldn't have a problem with it either.
The thing is though, that if this would work we were maybe able to tweak the HDR function, too. Taking a HDR with 3 shots within half a second would be fantastic. For this we need to check if the shutter, aperture or ISO can be changed while doing a continuous shoot. I'm quite optimistic about the ISO and the shutter. Aperture could be a problem, since the camera would need to communicate with the lens first.

And enable power save is in general a good idea when dong motion detect. On a 600D its quite simple - just fold in the display.

a1ex

This works fine on 5D2:

int f0 = file_number;
    SW1(1,0);
    SW2(1,0);
    while (file_number < f0 + 5) msleep(20);
    SW2(0,0);
    SW1(0,0);

SDX

Indeed, you are right! I have no clue on what I did different than you, but it definitely was wrong.
I see this now as solved. I'll now take a look at the HDR braking thing.

And if someone wants to suggest something to the motion detect thing, this is the right moment!

a1ex

I've also tried changing shutter speed without success, Canon code ignores these changes while shutter is pressed.

The only hope for fast bracketing is this investigation: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1915.0

probably by overriding the parameters in scsReleaseData somehow.

Edit: got a log with those parameters ("iso:78,tv:75,av:16,tp:159,po:178"), but overriding them did not work (camera said Busy while trying to save the picture). So for now we'll stick with slow brackets, until someone will find another method.

3pointedit

To increase shutter speed, is there any movement on shutter up full image taking? Or does the mirror have to come down each time?
550D on ML-roids

SDX

Unfortunately the mirror has to go down each time you take a photo. But I don't think that a locked mirror would increase the amount of pictures per seconds, since the processor is suited for exact that framerate. The effect would, if even noticeable, be very slight - I think.

But a silent picture feature (very useful for timelapse, too - btw) is something that has been on the wishlist for most ML useres for a long time now. Maybe, one day..

StambaOS

As already someone asked (in  Topic: Motion Detect + Self Timer) would be nice to have possibility to set some (user defined) delay after motion detect.

Also some continuous shooting option(with configurable no of frames to take), after Motion Detect would be nice.

Is someone already asked for this - I'm apologiseing, I googled for motion detect site:magiclantern.fm, but did not shown up ...

StambaOS

I see you have some extra options for Motion Detection - Detect Size & Position? Will this be in some next version?

Already asked - but when I'm here - is there any chance to add delay possibility to Motion Detect?

SDX

A delay is no problem at all. I already thought about that before, but couldn't really see a use for that. But since it appears to that I was wrong on that point and its just a thing of 1 minute, I'll add it (at least to my fork of the project).

EDIT: added

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

SDX

Bugfix: When entering the menu, stopping liveview or turning off the camera, delay-timer now stops. Would have been strange if camera suddenly started taking pictures just because you left MD mode between the detected motion and the shutter release.

You now know my fork, can be merged from current (3bf2f70ad569). Otherwise, I'll create a pull request.

nanomad