OK to boot camera with non-ML memory card?

Started by DarkDust, May 23, 2014, 09:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkDust

Hi folks, in the uninstall instructions at http://www.magiclantern.fm/install.html there's something that irritates me:

Don't just delete the Magic Lantern files from the card! If you do, the camera will freeze at startup and you'll have to take the battery out.

DO NOT use a bootable card without a working autoexec.bin on it! If you do, remove the battery immediately, switching the camera off is not enough !!!

Is that still true? I've booted my EOS 60D with non-ML memory cards a few times since I didn't know I'm not supposed to do that and I didn't experience any problems. What's the technical reason for these warnings? Do they still apply to current ML versions? Is it camera/firmware dependent?

Thanks.

Audionut

Quote from: DarkDust on May 23, 2014, 09:43:46 AM
Is that still true?

Yes.

Quote from: DarkDust on May 23, 2014, 09:43:46 AMWhat's the technical reason for these warnings?

Having the bootflag enabled on the card, tells the camera, "hey, I have some custom code on here, and you should run it!"
When the code isn't present, the camera isn't smart enough to say to itself, "hey, you lied to me, I'll boot my normal code instead!"

There is no technical reason for the warning itself.  Warnings are a developers way of saying, "hey, you shouldn't do this!"

Quote from: DarkDust on May 23, 2014, 09:43:46 AMDo they still apply to current ML versions?

Yes.

Quote from: DarkDust on May 23, 2014, 09:43:46 AM
Is it camera/firmware dependent?

In terms of Canon cameras, for models supported by ML, no.

DarkDust

Thanks for the quick answer. Now I get it: the magic word is "bootflag" (I suspect you mean the flag in the partition table?). So booting with a card that does not have the bootflag and does not have ML ("naked") is alright, correct?

Canon Amateur

Correct.

I have always two CF cards with me.
One with bootflag and ML code, and one without bootflag and without ML code ("naked").
If I lend the camera to someone else, I switch cards and they have a 'normal' 7D in their hands.
Canon EOS 7D / Canon 1D Mark III / Lytro illum

Datadogie

If you need an empty card FORMAT it as deleting it still leaves the bootflag which causes the problem.
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

Oswald

Eos M starts properly without ML. Sometimes I use eos M without ML (basic sd card), but is it dangerous? Camera boots up without any problem and works properly.
7D, EOS-M & 100D.100b ΒΆ  Sigma 18-35mm, Canon 50mm F1.8, 22 STM, 8-48mm f1.0, 18-55 EF-M STM