Bilal's crop_rec_4k experiments for 100D / SL1

Started by theBilalFakhouri, June 06, 2022, 12:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ouzijoe

i am using the last version 101 from 9 may
What do you want me to share? An entire clip, or a dng extract showing the problem?

Danne

ouzijoe

Here i uploaded a small MLV, you will see the problem every 4/5 frames : https://file.io/0ouV2z9kipwU

As for the focus pixel maps, do i miss something or there is no current solution?

theBilalFakhouri

@ouzijoe

Thanks for the clip, related issue.

For now, I want to look into your 100D registers, please follow this guide:

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on July 03, 2022, 09:58:43 PM
Tests:

1- Let me take a look into your 100D registers:

-Download this adtg_gui.mo, put it in ML/modules folder in SD card
-Unload all modules, and load only adtg_gui.mo, restart camera
-Set video mode to 1080p24 to gain extra speed

-Follow the following video, you can see in the video I am entering Canon menu and toggling between x1/x5/x10 modes, you should do that too to let "ADTG registers" bring the registers into it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Tdu9YZ4fc

-After you finish, you will find "adtg.log" file in ML/LOGS folder in SD card, upload it somewhere and share it.

ouzijoe

https://file.io/6TQSuJuHzLwU here is the log

Can you or someone else please answer me, is there or no pixel maps for crop mood resolution?? i have downloaded them all, from reddit and the other ones on google drive, drag them successfully on mlv but it still does not work

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: ouzijoe on June 16, 2023, 12:11:26 AM
https://file.io/6TQSuJuHzLwU here is the log

I came too late? The file was deleted and I can't download it.

Quote from: ouzijoe on June 16, 2023, 12:11:26 AM
is there or no pixel maps for crop mood resolution??

Currently there is no focus pixels maps for crop mood presets on 100D.

theBilalFakhouri

Please upload it to another host like Google Drive (or send it through Discord). The file get deleted from "file.io" after one download attempt? and you are sharing the download link in public.

theBilalFakhouri

@ouzijoe

Thanks for the log, I need another one but this time:

-Keep "Show" set to "Everything"
-Keep "ENGIO Registers" turned OFF

And the follow other steps in the video and previous post.

edt

Man oh man. I'd totally forgotten about ML and just stumbled into this forum. Installed lastest.
Now,,, guys.. .ML virgin again really here... ML running fine, how do I kick off this high res video recording ?

Walter Schulz

edt

Not the easiest then! (for me at least)
I've tried a few setting but get poor results + very short clips.

May  I just check before I try again.. with the right combo of setting in this ML build, is my 100D & a decent fast card capable of recording video higher than std 1080p ? For 5 mins say.
Not after 4K (though would be nice)  :)

Walter Schulz

I tested some cards with 650D (slightly faster than 100D) and got uncompressed 14 bit just a little bit below 1080p and for at least 5 minutes. Rough calculation:
1920 x 1080 x 24 fps x 14 bit / 8 = 83 MByte/s. That's more or less the maximum bandwidth the cam can do for continuous recording.
That is *without* compression. For standard scenes you may get up to factor 0.4. Which tunes it down to a mere 33 MByte/s.

Benchmark your card.
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=26941.msg244189#msg244189

edt

For me, it's a hunt for more resolution that's the lure... not fussed about extra bit depth. If possible, would stop me eyeing up Sony Alphas on thebay.
This achievable
FYI my card benchmarked at 44MBs, happy to get a faster one though, if needed.

Walter Schulz

44 MB/s is without overclocking and for read, I assume.
What is write showing?

Please lookup link and Bilal's primer video.
A card compatible with 240 MHz mode should show write numbers above 90 MByte/s.

edt

Write 41.3 MB/s, read 43.6 MB/s

Thought realise now that's with the dial in Photo mode.

Run now with 100D in movie mode & oddly different results!
36.7MB/s for write

Walter Schulz

Lower numbers in movie mode are unavoidable.
In older times (= last year ;-) ) movie mode benchmark numbers were a good indication for cam's performance for recording.
And photo mode (esp. PLAY-UNK) just told the cam's physical limits without overhead by cam's task during recording.

So: Don't waste your time in movie mode. Switch back to photo mode and try overclocking modes.

edt

Before I buy a card that'll do ~ 90MB/s, does this new ML allow for higher than HD recording, but direct to MP4? Not fussed about increased bit depth, just like to go beyond 1080 dots.

Walter Schulz

Did you run benchmark with SD_UHS loaded, Overclocking On and set to 240 MHz?

And nope. ML cannot manipulate H.264 resolution.

edt

Yes ..tried the 3 diff clock speeds, different modes. All run SLOWER. Useless little card!
OK so new card ordered. 140MB/s :)
And.. if I invest the time to work out settings, what resolution above HD can I reliably achieve, for a recording length of over 5 mins length?

Walter Schulz

You haven't tried to change Access Mode to "SDR50", right? But you should. Setting in Overclock submenu.
Card speed will drop into 20 MByte area if card cannot deal with oc settings.

If you take care with exposure you can do the math on your own:

Vertical pixel x horizontal pixel x bit depth x fps x compression factor / 8 < 80 MByte/s

edt

Walter Schulz

edt

SanDisk Ultra SD Memory Card 64GB  SDHC Class 10 For Cameras
It's rated 140MB/s should do the trick