Magic Lantern for 5D Mark III - Alpha 3 (1.1.3)

Started by a1ex, September 07, 2012, 04:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canon eos m

Alex, g3gg0 and all,

I am taking a leap of faith tonight when I plunge into the darkest realms of my 5D3 by upgrading the firmware to the 1.2.1 version. This will take me off the ML radar for a while, but I will be around scanning through the forums and looking to benefit the user experience through the eyes of my EOSM.

The journey has been fantastic so far ... I learnt and learnt and learnt and ......

Codecs, conversion, confidence, creativity all have become my lifelong friends. I will see them again in the next life when the Alpha upgrades to handle the new firmware versions.

The main reason for moving on was, believe it or not, hard disk space. I am now 5TB,s of HDD and 1TB do SSD space down. So, instead of investing in another disk, I went and got me a Zacuto EVF pro with focus peaking and all. I cannot imagine a life without focus peaking after you folks got me hooked.

The feature I will miss most is the Dual_Iso and Raw record. Not to forget crop mode video.

The Dual_Iso feature for video is my favourite most thing of all times.

The most interesting feature for me was ETTR. I will continue to expose to the right even now and for ever ... God how I hate shadows and dark bands in my pictures.

I am and will remain a friend, supporter, fan and indebted for ever.

Warm regards
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

a1ex

I've been actually running ML on 1.2.3 for about one week. So far so good, there are a few missing things, but I expect to merge it into mainline in the coming weeks and announce the new nightly builds.

Until then, you can take a peek here:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9827.0

Quentin

Hello my dear friends

Bought my 5d3 some months ago, took some time to feel familiar with everything, reading here and there, youtube videos etc.
Today I moved on to install ML Alpha 3.
I managed, was very easy by following simple instructions.
However, to my surprise didnt include the cool features, like RAW recording, intervalometer etc so I dig and found this
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5520.0

It took some time to sort things, format, install, reformat, nothing, again carefully ...
I managed to install the night build and I amazed that the development is far away from Alpha 3.
Congratulations to the developers and everyone that contributes to this project.

I dont blame anybody for my comments. cause I know that everybody contributes at his spare time together with family obligations and jobs.
However in order for someone to obtain structured and updated information for his needs, he has to be very careful and patient.
The information in the forums imho, is a bit messy and I noticed that several attempts were made in order to put some order.
Knowing that the development is something dynamic and the programmers prefer to code than writing manuals or helping newbies, naturally,
I wish some experienced people spend some time in separating information to make things easier.

I am sorry if anybody feels uncomfortable with my post, no intention to trigger arguments, but with constructive mood.
Thanks for your time.

jose_ugs

hey Quentin... its a work in progress, and we've all been there, trying to figure it out. the simple fact, that we are able to play with it as its being developed is a risk and a learning process. some of the users here are pro's, some are amateurs, etc etc... so imagine, for someout there its a piece of cake to get the nightly build to run, for some it takes a week or two, and until its stamped as THERE IT IS... it will be like that. until then, enjoy your access to a true gem as its being polished :)

Canon eos m

Quote from: Canon eos m on February 08, 2014, 04:45:48 AM
Alex, g3gg0 and all,

I am taking a leap of faith tonight when I plunge into the darkest realms of my 5D3 by upgrading the firmware to the 1.2.1 version. This will take me off the ML radar for a while, but I will be around scanning through the forums and looking to benefit the user experience through the eyes of my EOSM.

The journey has been fantastic so far ... I learnt and learnt and learnt and ......

Codecs, conversion, confidence, creativity all have become my lifelong friends. I will see them again in the next life when the Alpha upgrades to handle the new firmware versions.

The main reason for moving on was, believe it or not, hard disk space. I am now 5TB,s of HDD and 1TB do SSD space down. So, instead of investing in another disk, I went and got me a Zacuto EVF pro with focus peaking and all. I cannot imagine a life without focus peaking after you folks got me hooked.

The feature I will miss most is the Dual_Iso and Raw record. Not to forget crop mode video.

The Dual_Iso feature for video is my favourite most thing of all times.

The most interesting feature for me was ETTR. I will continue to expose to the right even now and for ever ... God how I hate shadows and dark bands in my pictures.

I am and will remain a friend, supporter, fan and indebted for ever.

Warm regards

Hi Alex, g3gg0, 1% and all,

I am back and happy to be so. Feels good to be home again!

Thanks a ton! This time around the pace of development seems faster and the interface appears more solid.

I can feel the action and am happy to be a part of it as a user and beneficiary.

Thank you to you all who make this journey a worth and memorable one!
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Kharak

Is 40 fps 1080p available in 1.1.3 ?

or is this specific to 1.2.3 ?

once you go raw you never go back

4uAllIn

is there a possibility that i can run my 5d longer then 29:59 minutes in one peace?i would need it for a job please help.thx

Danne

Try the sticky shutter setting. Not sure but it has worked on other cameras.

Sthirasukha

@Danne Can you tell me what is the sticky shutter setting? Is it on Canon Menu or ML (If it's on the canon, as I don't have an english version, I don't really see what is it about and I'm very interesting by the ability to run longer than 29:59 minutes in one peace).
Many thanks !

Kabz

I just updated to 1.2.3 and I'm hopping on the ML train -- hoping I didn't do myself a disservice by upgrading to current firmware

woody084

Is there any possibility we will see the Magic zoom mapped to the half-shutter press like on the 5dMKII? Its sooo inconvenient being on the left of the camera and i love it on the halfshutter for event work.

Also will we see more audio functionality on this camera similar to the MKII, or is it hardware limited?

Quentin

I wonder if 1.1.3 development is retired ? or it is recommended to move to 1.2.3 ?