Magic Lantern for 5D Mark III - Alpha 3 (1.1.3)

Started by a1ex, September 07, 2012, 04:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vbcoen

Select Menu -> Spanner - > sub menu three (from left) -> secound down is 'Battery Info' SET, INFO now select 'Register'

Done , select Menu a few times to quit.

5D3, 24 - 105, 16 - 35, Tamron f2.8 70-200, 580Ex II, Yongnuo 622C flash units, Cokin filters

scrax

Quote from: a1ex on January 08, 2013, 09:43:06 AM
Bring some lawyers to prove that it's OK, and I'll enable it.
Just to be clear is the 5DMk3 able to record multiple splitted 29'59'' video when reaching 30'?
Can those be merged without frame skip like I read on other forums?

I don't get your concern Alex, there is a tax (4,9% EU only) on imported camcorder not a limit, the limit is canon way to not pay import tax to keep price down (or to make bigger gains), but they are not breaking any EU tax law, ML either.

Canon is not selling imported camcorder/HDSLR (30' rec) in EU.
ML is not selling anything (AtomNinja do it instead).

Hint:GH1 was shipped with the limit only on EU version.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

aaphotog

Is there anyway to enable autoboot on the 3rd alpha so that I don't have to run the installer every time I turn off and on the camera?

g3gg0

Quote from: aaphotog on January 10, 2013, 09:44:04 AM
Is there anyway to enable autoboot on the 3rd alpha so that I don't have to run the installer every time I turn off and on the camera?

no
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

dude

Just bought a Lexar Professional 1000x umda7,
here is the result:
Write: 32.0
Read: 44.5
Write: 93.0

squig

Really liking alpha 3. I've discovered one little bug though. When I make the display text green I get a green cube in the bottom right corner of the display in record mode. It doesn't happen with any other display colour and a reboot doesn't help. I really like the green display, reminds me of an Apple Iic.

Francyz

I hope that in the 4th version will auto-loading and auto power sensor to save energy! Or many want?:))

vbcoen

Does anyone what criteria make the sensor overheat when shooting video?

eg, outside temp, recording mode, time of shooting etc.
Why, I would like to shoot some recordings of a meeting that will run well over one hour.

I then have to work out how to extend the 30 minute period apart from remembering to restart it every time.

Questions, question all I have is question.

.. and tomorrow maybe some answers   :)

5D3, 24 - 105, 16 - 35, Tamron f2.8 70-200, 580Ex II, Yongnuo 622C flash units, Cokin filters

nigelbb

Quote from: a1ex on January 08, 2013, 09:43:06 AM
As mentioned a few times, this feature is surrounded by some legal uncertainity. On 5D3 and probably on all DIGIC V cameras, the only purpose of this feature would be to bypass the 30-minute legal limit (because Canon already removed the 4GB one). Bring some lawyers to prove that it's OK, and I'll enable it.
Auto restart is exactly what it says. It restarts recording after a short break but it does not remove the 30 recording minute limit as e.g. the GH2 hack does. It's exactly the same as if you press the record button again immediately after recording stops. How can there be any objection to that?

The new firmware for the 5D3 allowing clean HDMI output will ignore the 30 minute limit if you connect an external recorder but does not require Canon to impose a limit to evade the EU tax because it is not an in-built recording function.

scrax

I'm pretty sure that if we remove the 30min limit, Canon will be just happy since they still will not have to pay the import tax.
For us the import tax will not take place since we are "exporting" ML from EU, not importing it and also it's free so 4,9% of 0€ is 0€

Quote from: nigelbb on January 19, 2013, 02:23:20 PM
The new firmware for the 5D3 allowing clean HDMI output will ignore the 30 minute limit if you connect an external recorder but does not require Canon to impose a limit to evade the EU tax because it is not an in-built recording function.

That external recorder, if imported to EU, has to pay the tax since it will record more than 29'59". That's why Canon don't have to pay the import tax even with clean output.
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

nigelbb

Here in the EU there is 0% import duty on digital stills cameras but 4.9% on video cameras. Here is an extract from the actual regulations defining what is a video camera

products are classified as still image digital cameras 'unless they are capable, using the maximum storage capacity, of recording in a quality of 800 x 600 pixels (or higher) at 23 frames per second (or higher) at least 30 minutes in a single sequence of video'. Cameras that meet each of these criteria will be classified as video camera recorders.

Auto restart where there is a break in recording does not produce a single sequence of video hence even if it were implemented by Canon would not make the 5D3 a video camera under this definition.

nigelbb

Quote from: scrax on January 19, 2013, 04:47:59 PMThat external recorder, if imported to EU, has to pay the tax since it will record more than 29'59". That's why Canon don't have to pay the import tax even with clean output.
No clean HDMI output does not make it a video camera because the camera itself will not record >30 minutes of video. You could record the clean video stream with a computer & capture card & no duty for any recording equipment would be liable.

nigelbb

Here in the EU all DV camcorders that had a Firewire input were classed as video recorders & subject to 14% import duty rather than the 4.9% for video cameras. To avoid paying the tax the manufacturers disabled DV-in but it was possible either by entering a service mode on the camera or using so-called DV-Enabler device to re-enable the DV input. This has echoes in the way that many DVD & Blu-ray players can be rendered region-free by similar methods.

g3gg0

Quote from: nigelbb on January 20, 2013, 10:10:58 AM
Auto restart where there is a break in recording does not produce a single sequence of video hence even if it were implemented by Canon would not make the 5D3 a video camera under this definition.

confirmed. so movie restart is not contrary to this law.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

scrax

Quote from: nigelbb on January 20, 2013, 10:13:43 AM
No clean HDMI output does not make it a video camera because the camera itself will not record >30 minutes of video.
Yes that was that I was saying.
QuoteYou could record the clean video stream with a computer & capture card & no duty for any recording equipment would be liable.
Since they are not cameras if you buy an imported card and computer you will pay 20% duty on those Not sure but if those are classed as 'information technology products' you will not pay any import duty, so you are right, with a computer as external recorder probably you can already record more than 30' and not pay any import tax.

capanno

Quote from: a1ex on November 08, 2012, 04:44:27 PM
Now, about the photo features. I can enable most of them, but, while running the random stability test, at some point the camera froze; I took the battery out, and found out that LiveView was no longer working (even when booting without card). Cleared camera settings and it's OK now. But this shows clearly that there's something fishy inside
Hi Alex and team

Thanks for the great software.

What exactly do you mean when you said you cleared camera settings? I'm going to use ML on a pretty big project and I must be able to quickly get things going again if something freezes.

Regards,
capanno
5DIII
60D

mnteddy

Quote from: capanno on January 20, 2013, 05:06:25 PM
What exactly do you mean when you said you cleared camera settings?
He means "Menu - SET UP4 - Clear all camera settings".

Good luck on your project!

EDGERIDER

hi guys !
as promised i had the chance to play a little bit with the 1Dc  : one word  : whow!!!!

4K is the way to go.... even downsized in 1080P24 there is more detail than i ever manage to get on my 5DMKIII.
high iso performance is just stupid... a little edit I have done in 1 hour alone in Paris : https://vimeo.com/58056838
Video framegrab of this thing are just ridiculous....

enough said about this beast and back to reality = ANY twin digic 5 can apparently do MJPEG at 100Mb/s (and event way higher than that) the bottleneck is the card and not the camera... so the 1Dx is capable of that but the 1Dc digit are "overclocked" in order to achieve 4K Mjpeg compression on the fly and therefore there is a better cooling.... sensor is not heating more in 4K... (sensor is on or off but wont heat because of image size)
why Mjpeg? because MJpeg is just a JPEG image sequence in a quicktime container and therefore there is no image size limit where H264 do not support 4K yet.... ;D
so basically the 5D MKIII is definitively capable to record 4K Mjpeg but at which frame rate? ( I wouldn't mind a 12fps 4K ala go pro for special effect) and also it is possible to over clock the Digic V .... but it heat more

ThomasH

Att a1ex -
Sir, i have read and researched now for weeks reg ML, and i feel ready to take the plunge and install your software.
BUT i dont seem to be able to figure out exactly how! My biggest concern, is when i choose Mark III (which is the camera i own), it just refers to a page for download to Mark II..... and as i am new, and a bit nervous (disclaimers and harsh words about how it can ruin my camera etc.), i am reluctant to go ahead with both download and install......
any chance you can shed a little light on this?
kindly,
ThomasH

Christian

Canon 5D3 | Canon 60D | Canon 17-40mm f/4 L | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 | Canon 70-300 IS f/4 | Rokinon 8mm f/3.5

blackcannonfilms

Just wanted to say thanks, I'm testing out the alpha 3 on my 5dmk3 right now and it seems to be working great! I think later this week I'll head out and do some more strenuous tests!

Francyz

Alex for some reason it does not please us very long. Waiting for April?

sicetime

SanDisk is having a Amazon lightning deal today I was wondering the the SanDisk Ultra CompactFlash 16 GB Memory Card 30MB/s SDCFH-016G-U46 was a fast enough card to be able to do some of the work that the future of ml will hold. I know the Lexar 1000x is the preferred card, just wondering if this is even worth buying a couple sandisks. - link http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-CompactFlash-Memory-SDCFH-016G-U46/dp/B002ODISD2/ref=br_lf_m_1000862091_1_8_ttl?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=electronics&pf_rd_p=1479321762&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000862091&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=098GKFNE7BNYH2624TDW