SD Overclocking - DIGIC 5 only

Started by theBilalFakhouri, February 12, 2021, 10:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

names_are_hard

Some (fairly reliable) people have also reported low-level format in cam restoring a slow card back to fast.  Possibly, this is better if done at the overclock you intend to run the card at.  I'm not convinced by that last part, but it might be worth testing.  The low-level format restoring a slow card I've seen multiple people report good results with.

I'm not sure why a low-level format should help.  Possibly, because writing to erased blocks is fast, but erasing blocks is slow?  If the drive controller knows which blocks are erased, this might avoid the need for erases during recording.

gabriielangel

Speed Test: Lexar SILVER Series 1066x microSDXC UHS-I 256GB
R160/W120
Product Number: LMS1066256G-BNANU
MDT: 2023/07

Highest CropMood speed reached for a 1 minute Clip (Peak Orange): 88.12 MB/s @ 2.8k/14bits
Highest CropMood speed reached for "Continuous"   (Steady Green): 77.88 MB/s @ 2.8k/14bits
Highest CropMood speed reached for a 15 seconds clip (Red Speed): 90.8 MB/s @ 2.8k/14bits
240MHz / SDR104

(Item "F" in the picture below)

Card has been formatted in camera (EOS M), moved to a Mac to copy the CropMood files, then back to the camera to make it bootable.

The method is outlined here: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25841.msg245694#msg245694

I recorded more clips this time, to hopefully expose any Thermal Throttling or Burst Speed Wizardry implemented by the manufacturer. I recorded about 10 clips of various lengths (Light orange / red) prior to beginning the test (Not in the picture, to save on transfer time)

This card did not exhibit any problems and was consistent.

Walter Schulz

Thanks! Added to chart.

You know you can edit ML wiki and add card info?

gabriielangel

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 05, 2024, 01:55:53 PM
Thanks! Added to chart.

You know you can edit ML wiki and add card info?

I didn't! I will have a look once I am done with the other cards on the picture. Thanks.

gabriielangel

Speed Test: Sandisk Extreme PLUS microSDXC UHS-I 128GB
R200/W90
Product Number: SDSQXBD-128G-CN6MA
MDT: 2023/06

Highest CropMood speed reached for a 1 minute Clip (Peak Orange): 79.41 MB/s @ 2.8k/12bits
Highest CropMood speed reached for "Continuous"   (Steady Green): 72.61 MB/s @ 2.8k/14bits
Highest CropMood speed reached for a 15 seconds clip (Red Speed): 83 MB/s @ 2.8k/14bits
240MHz / SDR104

(Item "C" in the picture below)

Card has been formatted in camera (EOS M), moved to a Mac to copy the CropMood files, then back to the camera to make it bootable.

The updated method is outlined here: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25841.msg245694#msg245694

The card could not handle 2.8k/14bits unless the image was quite underexposed and would not reach 1 minute,
but worked well at 2.8k/12bits.
This card did not exhibit any problems and was consistent.

gabriielangel

Speed Test: Sandisk Extreme PLUS microSDXC UHS-I 256GB
R200/W140
Product Number: SDSQXBD-256G-CN6MA
MDT: 2023/09

Highest CropMood speed reached for a 1 minute Clip (Peak Orange): 83.16 MB/s @ 2.8k/12bits -OR- 83.85 MB/s @ 2.5k/14bits
Highest CropMood speed reached for "Continuous"   (Steady Green): 76.68 MB/s @ 2.8k/14bits
Highest CropMood speed reached for a 15 seconds clip (Red Speed): 87 MB/s @ 2.8k/14bits
240MHz / SDR104

(Item "D" in the picture below)

The updated method is outlined here: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25841.msg245694#msg245694

The card could not handle 2.8k/14bits unless the image was quite underexposed and would not reach 1 minute,
but worked well at 2.8k/12bits.
This card was consistent, but went into safe mode when pushed in the red region.

Walter Schulz

There are a few reports about SanDisk R200/W140 being unstable with access mode SDR104. Mine included.
After switching to SDR50 cards seem to be stable, though.
Can you retest in that mode?

gabriielangel

Sure, which one?
I have Sandisk Extreme Pro 256GB 200/140 SD and Sandisk Extreme Plus 256GB 200/140 Micro SD

Walter Schulz

Why not both? ;-)
But it is Extreme Pro I'm most interested (and others, I suppose).

gabriielangel

I'll eventually post all of those, but will test the one you care about a little harder...

gabriielangel

Speed Test: Sandisk Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I 256GB
R200/W140
Product Number: SDSSDXXD-256G-GN4IN
MDT: 2022/06

240MHz / SDR104
Highest CropMood speed reached for a 1 minute Clip (Peak Orange):  86.08 MB/s @ 2.8k/14bits. (Inconsistent)
Highest CropMood speed reached for a 2 minutes Clip (Peak Orange): 85.42 MB/s @ 2.8k/14bits  (Inconsistent)
                                                                                                     83.57 MB/S @ 2.8k/14bits (Consistent)
Highest CropMood speed reached for "Continuous"    (Steady Green): 77.74 MB/s @ 2.8k/14bits
Highest CropMood speed reached for a 15 seconds clip (Red Speed): 88.6 MB/s @ 2.8k/14bits

240MHz / SDR50
Highest CropMood speed reached for a 2 minutes Clip: 83.72 MB/s @ 2.8k/14bits  (Consistent)

(Item "B" in the picture below)

The card is mostly consistent (Succeeded at 1 data rate but then failed at the same data rate in another take, at around 85 MB/s.)
The Card was consistent at a  slightly lower data rate (83 MB/s). See Picture.
I don't think the 2 MB/s difference is relevant as it could be related to the camera (In line with the other cards tested, and I did a lot more passes this time)

I did not get any Safe Mode trigger or corrupted Frames.
The Max consistent speed is the same, whether in SDR 104 or SDR 50 mode.

mlrocks

<MOD: Full quote deleted.>

"then back to the camera to make it bootable."

how can you make sd card bootable in camera?

gabriielangel

Quote from: mlrocks on January 07, 2024, 02:38:49 AM

"then back to the camera to make it bootable."

how can you make sd card bootable in camera?

Once you copied the ML files to the card, You put it in the camera and do a firmware update (It won't do a firmware update, but it will make the card boot to ML)
You follow the instructions and restart when asked.

gabriielangel

Quote from: names_are_hard on January 04, 2024, 06:14:53 PM
Some (fairly reliable) people have also reported low-level format in cam restoring a slow card back to fast.  Possibly, this is better if done at the overclock you intend to run the card at.  I'm not convinced by that last part, but it might be worth testing.  The low-level format restoring a slow card I've seen multiple people report good results with.

I'm not sure why a low-level format should help.  Possibly, because writing to erased blocks is fast, but erasing blocks is slow?  If the drive controller knows which blocks are erased, this might avoid the need for erases during recording.

I don't know about the magnitude of the speed gain when the blocks are pre-erased (format), but I know this:
Each time you insert the card in a different system, the file system is modified. The Mac writes a bunch of invisible dot files, Android writes extra folders both visible and invisible, etc.

After enough going back and forth (You need to transfer the files to your Mac or PC), the FAT gets corrupted (well, modified differently by a different OS, especially if you use the computer to erase the files)  and you slowly begin to get errors and corruptions, until the card needs a complete re-format and re-copying of all the files.

Ever since I started to Low-Level format before each recording session (There is a option to keep the ML files on the card. I don't know how they did it, but it works) I stopped having those kinds of problems. This is anecdotal of course, but I recorded about  7 TB over the course of the summer, most of it on the same 256GB card. So I guess this is a large enough sample.

mlrocks

Quote from: gabriielangel on January 07, 2024, 02:57:43 AM
Once you copied the ML files to the card, You put it in the camera and do a firmware update (It won't do a firmware update, but it will make the card boot to ML)
You follow the instructions and restart when asked.
thx
you think this new way will increase sandisk extreme pro 256gb to 85MB/s? mine is about 66 MB/s now.

gabriielangel

There's only one way to find out! :)
But maybe you could post your card's CID, along with those who reported the same issue, so we can see if those cards are like mine. Prior to the latest Overclock module, I had two Extreme Pro 128's, and only one of those worked.

There is something else I don't have a way to test, but maybe some cards draw more current than others? I use a Dummy Battery and power Bank which outputs  2A @ 9V, 22.5W.
Have you tried with the original Canon battery with a full charge?

mlrocks

Quote from: gabriielangel on January 07, 2024, 04:52:54 PM
But maybe you could post your card's CID, along with those who reported the same issue, so we can see if those cards are like mine. Prior to the latest Overclock module, I had two Extreme Pro 128's, and only one of those worked.

There is something else I don't have a way to test, but maybe some cards draw more current than others? I use a Dummy Battery and power Bank which outputs  2A @ 9V, 22.5W.

yes, i used original canon batteries in battery grip on 650d. but 100d i use only one fully charged battery.

mlrocks

Quote from: gabriielangel on January 07, 2024, 04:52:54 PM

so the new way is
1. format the card on pc/mac as a new card.
2. low level format the card in ml camera with 240 mhz sd card overclock module activated.
3. on pc/mac copy the ml files to the sd card.
4. firmware update to make the sd card bootable
5. reformat the sd card before everytime use it

then it can reach 85mb/s for sandisk extreme pro 256gb.

do i miss anything here? thx. 85 mb/s is a big jump.

gabriielangel

Quote from: mlrocks on January 08, 2024, 05:34:16 AM
so the new way is
1. format the card on pc/mac as a new card.
2. low level format the card in ml camera with 240 mhz sd card overclock module activated.
3. on pc/mac copy the ml files to the sd card.
4. firmware update to make the sd card bootable
5. Reboot the camera at least twice before the first use.
6. reformat the sd card before everytime use it (with 240 mhz sd card overclock module activated)

then it can reach 85mb/s for sandisk extreme pro 256gb.

do i miss anything here? thx. 85 mb/s is a big jump.

Nowhere did I (Or anyone else)  say that this method will make the card work. This method avoids the problems related to card corruption. And based on a whole summer's worth of almost daily shoots, it works.
But In your case, it could be that your card is from a different batch. (See my previous post about the 128GB Extreme Pro)

So the first thing you should do is to try the method yourself.
Use Danne's version of crop mood https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magiclantern_hg_02/downloads/  you won't have to scratch your head or watch the video to make it work.
You copy the files and it's ready to shoot.
(You may have to enable the bench.mo module manually though)
The whole process should take you less than 10 minutes.

Edit: I just realized that you are not using the eos m, so Danne's custom build won't work for now.
You'll need to use bilal's original version. All the info you need to set it up is in the first few posts in this thread: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=26851.msg242974#msg242974

I added : 5. Reboot the camera at least twice before the first use.
Some settings are quite persistent on the Eos M (So maybe it's the same thing for the 650D). And for some reason, the new settings don't always get transferred to the cam's non-volatile memory on the first try.  (Maybe someone who knows why that is could chime in??)

Also, after the low-level format, you'll see the light flashing for a few seconds. You should wait for it to stop flashing before going further.

Walter Schulz

After step 1 you will find it impossible to proceed with step 2 as specified because you can't use ML's oc without ML running and ML cannot run because ML was deleted in step 1.

gabriielangel

Speed Test: Sandisk Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I 128GB
R170/W90
Product Number: SDSSDXXY-128G-GN4IN
MDT: 2021/11

240MHz / SDR104
Highest CropMood speed reached for a 1 minute Clip (Peak Orange):  86.73 MB/s @ 2.8k/14bits. (Reached 87.1 MB/s once)
Highest CropMood speed reached for "Continuous"   (Steady Green): 76.53 MB/s @ 2.8k/14bits
Highest CropMood speed reached for a 15 seconds clip (Red Speed): 83 MB/s @ 2.8k/14bits

(Item "A" in the picture below)

The card is consistent.
I did not get any Safe Mode trigger or corrupted Frames.

After a few tests, I realized that, although the "Frame Order Error" message doesn't result in corrupted clips when it is displayed, in such a case the possible recording length of the clip will be shortened.
Recording another clip right after will work as expected.

If there is a module enabling the logging of everything  available, let me know. I would then be able to zero in on the issue.

gabriielangel

Speed Test: Sandisk Extreme microSDXC UHS-I 256GB
R160/W90  Ref. Here
(The newer ones are rated R190/W130) Ref. Here

Product Number: SDSQXA1-256G-GN6MN
PNM: SN256
PRV: 8.6
MDT: 2021/12

Highest CropMood speed reached for a 1 minute Clip (Peak Orange): 80.29 MB/s @ 2.8k/12bits (Mostly Consistent)
Highest CropMood speed reached for "Continuous"   (Steady Green): 71.17 MB/s @ 2.8k/14bits
Highest CropMood speed reached for a 15 seconds clip (Red Speed): 82 MB/s @ 2.8k/14bits
240MHz / SDR104

(Item "E" in the picture below)

The card could not handle 2.8k/14bits, but worked well at 2.8k/12bits.
The card was mostly consistent, and did no go into safe mode.

names_are_hard

Quote from: gabriielangel on January 08, 2024, 06:44:11 PM
If there is a module enabling the logging of everything  available, let me know. I would then be able to zero in on the issue.

Can you define "everything available"?  I might be able to add logging if I knew what you wanted to be logged.

gabriielangel

Quote from: names_are_hard on January 09, 2024, 02:07:41 AM
Can you define "everything available"?  I might be able to add logging if I knew what you wanted to be logged.

You (And the other Devs) will need to validate what I am saying here, as I do not code.

So I will describe the problem: You record let's say 10 clips, then all of a sudden, there is a "Frame Order Error slot XXX frame XXX expected XXX". This stops recording prematurely, but usually recording again will work for a while until the error happens again.

What happens between recordings is checking for focus (x10 zoom), toggling false colors on/off, changing shutter or aperture; or going inside the ML menu.
But I just tried now, and even if I only hit the record button on and off, and nothing else, until it happens, it will happen.

It seems to happen more often when you are close to, or when you hit the red light (Recording Indicator Green, Orange, Red)

So I'd say logging SD Card Access, compression tasks, live view tasks and keystrokes, as certain keys trigger a lot of state changes. I use Kill Global Draw on, so besides the recording counter, nothing else shows up on screen.

I don't know exactly which task triggers the error, as no error log is written when this particular error occurs.

When the error occurs, it lasts about 5 seconds before recording stops. So If I could hit a key as soon as it happens. It could write some sort of flag? This would narrow the search area.

Maybe writing the CPU usage of each task to disk as soon as I hit the key could help zero in on the offending module?

mlrocks

Quote from: gabriielangel on January 08, 2024, 03:33:42 PM
Nowhere did I (Or anyone else)  say that this method will make the card work. This method avoids the problems related to card corruption. And based on a whole summer's worth of almost daily shoots, it works.
But In your case, it could be that your card is from a different batch. (See my previous post about the 128GB Extreme Pro)

So the first thing you should do is to try the method yourself.
Use Danne's version of crop mood https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magiclantern_hg_02/downloads/  you won't have to scratch your head or watch the video to make it work.
You copy the files and it's ready to shoot.
(You may have to enable the bench.mo module manually though)
The whole process should take you less than 10 minutes.

I added : 5. Reboot the camera at least twice before the first use.
Some settings are quite persistent on the Eos M (So maybe it's the same thing for the 650D). And for some reason, the new settings don't always get transferred to the cam's non-volatile memory on the first try.  (Maybe someone who knows why that is could chime in??)

Also, after the low-level format, you'll see the light flashing for a few seconds. You should wait for it to stop flashing before going further.

thx a lot. will try. exciting.