Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ctfire

also try to set fps override to 48  for 1736x738 50fps presset , and its work fine, whithout any corrupted frames . (2.35:1 10 bit)

ctfire

Quote from: Danne on January 28, 2019, 03:20:15 PM
Yeah, thanks, so needs more tweaking and maybe it should be run in 44fps in the end.

set the 45fps presset to 44fps with all your settings, and yes it's corrupted free but when i swich it to 2.35:1 get some pinkish video.
Sorry for my english, this is not my native lenguage ,but hope you understand me.

Danne

New build:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

Let´s run these presets for a while(reduced to 48fps). If anyone can achieve 50fps corruption free I will put the old ones back again. Thanks @ctfire for testing.

masc

Tried out latest build.
- 5k anamorphic seems to work. I only get some dots in highlights, I have to check again against version before (all raw corrections off). Same dots are also in mv1080 48fps. Can't remember having seen this before... and you see this already when recording on the liveview screen.

- mv1080 48fps aborts with this screen (did not see such screens in my few tests with 50fps before):

and I found one missing (just black) frame, but no pink corrupted frame

Edit: I see the dots with the build before in the liveview too! Recorded some more 48fps clips... corrupted frames are very rare, but existing.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

dots, what the heeey  :o
Tested a different converter from Mlv App  :P

ctfire

Quote from: masc on January 28, 2019, 08:26:46 PM
Tried out latest build.
- 5k anamorphic seems to work. I only get some dots in highlights, I have to check again against version before (all raw corrections off). Same dots are also in mv1080 48fps. Can't remember having seen this before... and you see this already when recording on the liveview screen.

- mv1080 48fps aborts with this screen (did not see such screens in my few tests with 50fps before):

and I found one missing (just black) frame, but no pink corrupted frame

Edit: I see the dots with the build before in the liveview too! Recorded some more 48fps clips... corrupted frames are very rare, but existing.

Yeah there is sometimes corrupted frames , but not consistant, made 5 footages (2.35:1 10 bit)  all 1 minute leght, and only two of them have one corrupted (black) frame each. Set fps override to 47fps , and make my test again and all of them was corrupted frames free.

Danne

Let's give it another go tomorrow. Might have a little something for the 45 fps preset as well.

Danne

New upload:

Reworked higher fps modes. Needs testing. Run them with:
global draw off
10bit
with and without 2.35:1 ratio set
sd_uhs hack

Look for corrupted frames. Note that 45 fps modes absolutely need timer registers to settle down. This can be noted when viewing for stuttering in live view window. If no stuttering, ok to to film.

I increased a register for anamorphic modes as well(2.35:1 and 16:9) so won´t hurt to test them too. The default anamorphic mode is not really working well but I don´t see it useful anyway so stick to 4.5k and 3.5k instead.

Danne

New upload:

Dedicated to the mv1080p 50 fps mode. Really hard to get that one working. Fps set to 49.880 now.

masc

Checked latest build here with mv1080 50fps:
with GLOBAL_DRAW=OFF: average 700 frames, 5 corrupted frames (1st: ~frame 150; the other frames between 650 and last)
with GLOBAL_DRAW=ON: average 270 frames, 2 corrupted frames (1st ~frame 50; 2nd in the last 50 frames)
But no crash so far...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

The 50fps preset right? Might settle for the 48fps soon then.

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

henricusmaria

Managed to get 1x3 footage in 16:9 without corrupted frames. Only there is too much aliasing going on to my liking. Anything I can change in my ml settings or mlvapp that can help?

Danne

Could you upload an example with aliasing? Maybe a shortened mlv?

masc

Quote from: henricusmaria on January 30, 2019, 04:53:58 AM
Managed to get 1x3 footage in 16:9 without corrupted frames. Only there is too much aliasing going on to my liking. Anything I can change in my ml settings or mlvapp that can help?
I think I know what you mean, because I also was not satisfied in the beginning. I think you are speeking about artifacts on detailed structures like trees?! Are you able to compile MLVApp? The latest revisions can debayer such MLVs much better. You could compile MLVApp yourself or wait for next release. Using Resolve you should be fine...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

henricusmaria

@masc I think you know what I mean ;)
How do you compile mlvapp?

@Danne I've already deleted the mlv files

masc

Quote from: henricusmaria on January 30, 2019, 08:47:11 AM
How do you compile mlvapp?
See compiling information on this site: https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App
On the other side, v1.5 is not far away...  8)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

henricusmaria

Thanks! I will have a look.
V1.5 might not be far away, but I need to find out this week if the 1x3 mode is reliable enough to shoot with.

Danne

New upload:

Focused on corruption free recordings on all presets. Let´s see where and if it breaks:

AF-OFF

Downloaded new build from Danne and did some little tests.
build Jan30, sd-uhs hack, 10bit, 16:9 global draw off, sound module not loaded, MLV App 1.4 (Playback>Drop Frame Mode off)
first just did a benchmark with the bench.mo from the ML experimental Lua build copied over inside the Modules directory of Danne's build. The performance dropped about 5MB/s but fortunately now the benchmark runs the read-tests too, which it did not in previous builds. So with max of 54MB/s Write and 56MB/s Read I did following quick tests. 
mv720p 1736x694 50fps
recording stopped after 23 seconds. had to stretch the image 1,67x in MLV App, reported Frame rate was 49.959 fps. after 650 frames first corrupted frame, seven in total.
same mode but reduced Frame rate to 47 fps. recording continuous, did a 00:01:36 recording, reported speed 47.009 fps. Have done the same height stretch of 1,67x as before. Somewhere at 00:01:20 mark there was one bad frame.
next I did a mv1080p 1736x976 46/48 fps recording. from start on I lowered the Frame rate to 44 fps. But as MLV App reports, it has the res of 1496x842 pixels which is 16:9 ratio. no stretch needed in MLV App. did a continuos recording of 5896 frames (00:02:13) at frame rate of 44.013 fps.
There were 27 bad frames in the first 40 seconds of the video, so I did another recording but this time did not lower the frame rate.
reported frame rate is 45.983 fps. one minute recording, 2 bad frames .

So this looks very good, many thanks to Danne and others
Will do further testing

Danne

Thanks AF-OFF. Still much to work on :P. If you lower fps try do it from reg_6014 register in the submenu. Push it forward for decrease.
One goal is to have the 2.35:1 setting working with all presets without issues. THe rest is more or less extras. If you want to test the presets with the 2.35:1 ratios set I wouldn´t mind hearing about the results  8)

masc

This test release changes a lot, Danne! mv1080 48fps @1648x702, okay, some pixels are missing now (a little smaller), but I get continous recording @10bit lossless now and after 45sec (>2000 frames) I have no single corrupted frame! WOW! Important: Global Draw has to be OFF. If I leave it ON, the maximum I can get is 800 frames, but with may 1 corrupted frame in 20 frames.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

That is good news. I really want the 2.35:1 presets to be solid and to have a 48fps 3x3 binning is very nice indeed.

Jonit

Awesome work Danne!!!

I did some tests yesterday with yesterday build and I was getting some pink frames in 50fps mode and also 5k anamorphic - dualISO.
I'm going to shoot a wedding in three days so I guess it will be a serious test for this stuff  ;). There will be also a second cameraman on that wedding, otherwise I wouldn't risk the shots with such a bleeding edge stuff. Actualy, that was my requisition, that I would only film if they allow me to film in ML RAW  8), I explained the risks... All this development in RAW video is so exciting, that I didn't touch the normal video mode in a quite long time and I'm shooting almost exclusively in RAW.

Anyway... the most important modes for me are 48fps and DualISO. Today I tested your current build (30.1.) and I was blown away by how much it improved over yesterdays build.
I got some pink frames, but very few in a long recordings, and now I realized that it was probably due to the fact that I didn't turn off the global draw. Need to test it again with GD off.

Here are my results (with GD on, framing LV, 1:2.35, 10bit)(all recordings stopped manualy):
5K-A-DualISO-sound: 20 seconds - 0 corrupted frames
5K-A-DualISO-NOsound: 14 seconds - 0 corrupted frames
1080_3x3-1648x702-48fps-sound: 25 seconds - 5 corrupted frames, evenly happening in the first half of the clip
1080_3x3-1648x702-48fps-NOsound: 40 seconds - 2 corrupted frames (one after another) in the middle of the clip

SIDE QUESTION: I'm getting 700D tomorrow and I'm wondering in what state of development it currently is regarding to 1x3 mode and 48fps mode? I was trying to find something on the forum, especialy about the 48/50fps mode and I didn't find much :(. If any of you guys know, my question is, if there is a working build for 700D with reliable 48fps recording?

Thanks!

Danne

I would do all recordings with 10bit 2.35:1 sd_uhs on.
48fps with global draw off.
If the anamorphic mode isn't continuous you can reduce offsets manually by using the skip_left, skip_reight etc to reduce ratio straight in the sub menu. This maybe works straight in Raw video resolution menu, not sure.
Anyway. Tell me what presets you aim to use and we can focus on them for a while.
700D has some very intelligent crop_rec code from a1ex. Also ask theBilalfarouk for some useful info.