[SOLVED] AV out fails when booting in ML 2.3 on 5d2

Started by Andvari, September 05, 2012, 12:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andvari

I am running ML 2.3 (most current version, as far as I know). Camera 5d mark ii with 2.1.2 firmware

When booting up plain vanilla (set button pressed) with a monitor on the AV out jack (4 ring minijack) then the camera display can be seen on the monitor (as expected). When booting up normally (same settings) with ML the external monitor flashes a moment and then the on-camera LCD lights up and the external monitor turns off. I have tested it with different monitors with identical result.

It seems to me that this must be a bug. I have searched for a way to change ML behavior but have been unable.

Note: Using the standard composite signal have the advantage over HDMI that it does not flicker on/off every time a change is made, it is more robust, and older monitors can be used. Furthermore it reduces cable clutter when headphone monitoring is already taking place. So while hdmi out works fine (except that the signal disappears when starting or stopping a recording, which causes an annoying flicker on my lilliput hdmi monitor), it would be nice in some situations to have the option of using the regular AV signal.

Feature request: It would be nice if the camera could detect the presence of a monitor on the composite out, or alternatively that one could make it switch to the external monitor manually somehow.

And finally: Thank you for a brilliant piece of software.

a1ex

What message do you see on the screen when you plug the monitor?

(it's not a bug)

Andvari

There is no message. When I plug in the external monitor nothing happens.

When I start the camera with the monitor plugged in, then it switches to the external monitor when booting plain vanilla. When booting ML then the external monitor blinks for a fraction of a second and then the LCD display on the camera lights up.

Could you please explain why this is not a bug. Am I doing something wrong perhaps?

Thanks, Rolf

a1ex

It says "Headphones connected" (just tried) - so you know what to turn off.

Andvari

You are right, and I was posting an apology for not seeing that because I decided to test to make sure, but you beat me to it. Will be more careful next time.

When disabling headphones it correctly recognizes the monitor and switches. Good. However, it says headphones connected even if there are no headphones at the other end (senses the jack I suppose)

But when switching the headphone monitoring back on the monitor signal dies and the on-camera LCD turns on. It would be very convenient to be able to have both, i.e. headphones and composite signal.  the STV-250n cable has both and the jack has 4 connectors, so one would think that it could carry a video signal and a stereo audio signal at the same time.

Is there a technical reason why this is not possible, or am I overlooking something since I cannot get both signals to work at the same time?

Regards, Rolf

a1ex

I'll take a look. It should work with headphone monitoring disabled, in theory.

Andvari

I assume you mean that it should work, in theory, with headphones _enabled_.

It works fine when headphone monitor is disabled.

a1ex

Andvari

I don't get it. How is it solved?

Did you get both signals to work at the same time somehow?

And how?

Andvari

Ok, I got it. With headphone monitoring turned off, the sound signal is actually transmitted too when plugging in an external monitor.

Not very intuitive, but it works.

To prevent misunderstandings it might be an idea to make options in the interface to chose audio out, video out or both, or something of that order.

Thank you for your help.

Andvari

Or perhaps simply make the menu entry: "AV out - headphones only"

Because that is in reality what this setting does, as I understand it.