T1i exposure in manual

Started by elricbillman, September 03, 2012, 08:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elricbillman

I installed ML on a T1i. Everything seems to be working well. There is only one thing I haven't been able to figure out. The exposure in manual mode it stuck at -2 and it will not allow to be change it. I read the user guide and searched the forum with no luck.

Francis

Describe where you are seeing this -2 exposure. If you are in manual mode, there is no exposure compensation. You are using the settings you have set and that is all. Perhaps you are seeing the scene meter, which is showing you that you are underexposing by 2EV.

elricbillman

Here is what it looks like on the display.
http://imgur.com/wzkpx
The images come out dark as well.

Francis

Because you are underexposing for that scene. There is no 'changing the exposure value' like in Av, Tv, or P modes. It only shows the meter in M. Since the meter scale only goes from -2 to 2, if it is more than 2 stops underexposed it just shows -2. Change the shutter speed, aperture, and ISO. Set the shutter to 30" and I bet it won't show -2 anymore.

Also, pick yourself up a book at your local library about the basics of photography and learn about exposure. I would suggest also maybe not using Magic Lantern until you are more familiar with your camera. It is a powerful tool for power users. Chances are you are going to create more problems than you are going to fix until you are comfortable with at least using manual mode.