Author Topic: Canon Basic scripting (DIGIC 8, DIGIC X models)  (Read 28991 times)

c_joerg

Re: Canon Basic scripting (DIGIC 8, DIGIC X models)
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2021, 08:36:27 PM »
With 1,086,947,603 shutter activations? 
No, because of 701 TotalShoot and 173 PowerOnCount
RP is anomaly.
Yes, of course, TotalShutter on RP is anomaly.
6D

names_are_hard

• Developer
  • Senior
  • 200D idiot
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2021, 09:24:12 PM »
Oh, I understand now, you were talking about something different to everyone else in the thread.  Now my confusion makes sense :)

c_joerg

« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2021, 09:36:58 PM »
It was understood that we would like to know whether there is a fixed start number for TotalShutter at RP.
For that you would need an unused RP. And I don't think the RP from j1080 is a total new one.
6D

names_are_hard

• Developer
  • Senior
  • 200D idiot
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2021, 10:04:27 PM »
Okay, but your comments about different cams, in a Digic 8 and X thread were confusing and don't seem relevant.

From this thread, there are numbers from multiple different cams.  All TotalShutter numbers look to have a similar large offset applied.  But, does TotalShoot have a different, *smaller* offset applied?  How would we know?  It's a reasonable assumption that TotalShoot might start at 0, but TotalShutter *clearly doesn't*, so it's also reasonable to doubt that assumption.

Cam1 TotalShoot: 1780
Cam1 TotalShutter: 1086948659

Cam2 TotalShoot: 701
Cam2 TotalShutter: 1086947603

From these numbers it's still entirely possible that RP has an offset of 700 applied to TotalShoot, similar to how it seems to have an offset of approximately 1086947300 applied to TotalShutter.  If that was true, j1080s cam would have taken 1 prior shot.  Or there could be no offset, and it's taken 701.  Or an offset of -10000 and it's real number is 10701.  Notably, my 200D (bought new...  probably) reported a negative TotalShoot when I first had it!

Likely it will be easier to reverse the firmware to determine the logic, than to prove we have a new cam where we can totally trust the values.

c_joerg

« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2021, 08:36:40 AM »
Okay, but your comments about different cams, in a Digic 8 and X thread were confusing and don't seem relevant.

Sorry for the confusion.
Since the CameraInfo part is already available in the Powershot firmware, I assumed that this part also ended up in the firmware of the R and was only expanded.
6D

kitor

• Developer
  • Senior
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2021, 09:49:56 AM »
Since the CameraInfo part is already available in the Powershot firmware

This was a good point anyway. I was unaware of that coming to us from Powershot world (like Basic did).

reported a negative TotalShoot when I first had it!
Are you sure TotalShoot and not shutter_count_plus_lv_actuations? We have three* different counters, not two!:

On "old" cameras (up to D7, PROP_SHUTTER_COUNTER):
buf[0] -> shutter_count = number of still shots with physical shutter actuations
buf[1] -> shutter_count_plus_lv_actuations = number of physical shutter actuations, including enter/exit LV which does open/close shutter

on "new" cameras (D8+)
PROP_MECHA_COUNTER (TotalShutter) -> equivalent of shutter_count*
PROP_RELEASE_COUNTER (TotalShoot)  -> above + number of silent pictures (with no physical shutter actuations)

I believe you write about shutter_count or shutter_count_plus_lv_actuations, not TotalShoot.

*We still need to confirm that on D8 DSLR, as either:
- PROP_MECHA_COUNTER is equivalent of shutter_count_plus_lv_actuations and not shutter_count (would make sense by prop name)
- there's additional prop that is equivalent of one "missing" on D8, which is missing just on mirrorless
EOS R, 200D, 750D, 50D...

j1080

• New to the forum
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2021, 01:44:08 PM »
So there might be something weird going on with the TotalShutter integer type of the RP's firmware versions.

@names_are_hard Wasnt expecting that, just mentioned as i didnt belive that its brandnew and been wondering about those numbers.
                            TotalRunningTime is reported in seconds, tested that, but still 13+ hours.

@kitor The box itself wasnt sealed, but all the items inside. The body itself had a packaging with some kind of aluminium-sticker on it.
           I dont belive its new, even if sold as.

names_are_hard

• Developer
  • Senior
  • 200D idiot
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2021, 03:25:10 PM »
Don't know why I had it in my brain as hours, seconds does make a lot more sense!  Basically, for the RP, we don't really know what these numbers mean.  There are some fields where we can make some obvious guesses, and likely be right, but that's about it.

Don't recall which precise field it is for 200D, point being, it was negative so I don't put it past them to apply a negative offset to one of the other fields (plus code for some existing cams already applies a fix for this, I've seen it somewhere).

Nic2

• Just arrived
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2021, 08:20:39 PM »
Thanks for the guide. I would suggest to update the first post with the info that this only works on SDHC cards; SDXC is not supported. Took me a while to figure out, any may be relevant for whoever is next. Tested on M50.

names_are_hard

• Developer
  • Senior
  • 200D idiot
« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2021, 04:06:49 PM »
Canon Basic dumper confirmed to work on 850D.