Risk of using Magic Lanten HELP please

Started by exomonkeyman, September 02, 2012, 02:06:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exomonkeyman

Hi there.
I have a few questions below that i WOULD love some answers. please it will be Gratefully appreciated.
They scale 1 to 10 in numbers.

THE QUESTIONS RELATE TO THE EOS CANON 60D

What's the risk of damaging your camera in any sort of way?
On a scale 1 to 10
1 Being Never 0% chance
5 Being Pretty damm easily 50% chance
10 Being All the time 100% chance

What's the risk of destroying your camera quality?
On a scale 1 to 10
1 Being Never
5 Being Pretty easily
10 Being All the time

What's the chance of over heating your camera?
On a scale 1 to 10
1 Being Never
5 Being Pretty easily
10 Being All the time

What's the chance of changing so many settings in magic lantern you get a worse video quality
1 Being Never
5 Being Pretty easily
10 Being All the time

If i went back to my original camera firm ware/Don't use magic lantern, Would i have messed up stuff in the normal firm ware?
No,
Yes,

I'm scared cause my canon 60D has shut off a few times.
And even feels really quite hot ):
And there for i'm scared.
And i changed settings LOADS on the camera Over and over again to mess with them.

I REALLY hope you can help P.S thx

ilguercio

I'd say no risk should count as 0 on a scale from 1 to 9, just to keep things easy for everybody.
;)
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

1%

Every time you take a photo your shutter count goes up one and your next pic may be your last. The camera is kinda a consumable.

Francis

Question 1 & 2 are really the same question, considering producing quality images is camera function #1 and if it can do that then it is destroyed for all intents and purposes.

There are risks. The movie remap bug that was discovered before the 2.3 release could brick a camera.  But ot was also reversible (or unbrickable).

I've never seen any increase in heat buildup other than when I have been testing live view features for extended periods of time. But that is normal, Liveview= heat buildup.

I trust it. I used it with my 550d for 8 months. Then when I bought a 5d2 for my business, I gave it 2 weeks before installing (so I could learn how to use that camera). I wouldnt put it on a brand new $2000 camera if I didn't trust it.

There is no scale of probability. I'm no statistician but there have been tens if not hundreds of thousands of downloads over ML's life and no confirmed reports of permanent bricks. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened and it doesn't mean it won't. But either way that puts the answers to all your Q's around about 0.000.

Francis

Well at least the first 2 Q's. The overheating probability is low because the Canon firmware has overheating protection and turns itself off.

Chance of making image quality worse, change bitrate to 0.9 CBR BAM! You made it worse.

exomonkeyman

nanomad

Actually with current ML there's just ONE known way of potentially bricking your camera, that is removing the SD card before ML flashes the led to say "OK, please go on"

Here's what you should do:
- Power off the camera (!)
- Open the card door
- Wait for the camera led to flash
- Remove the card
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Francis

I thought that just causes a lockup and battery drain due to an incomplete shutdown. Pulling the battery fixes it

g3gg0

Quote from: Francis on September 02, 2012, 10:02:13 PM
I thought that just causes a lockup and battery drain due to an incomplete shutdown. Pulling the battery fixes it

true, but afaik one person reported that after draining the battery his flash was erased.
could be bad luck, could be a systematic bug in canon firmware.
so its better to avoid that situation :)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

nanomad

Quote from: Francis on September 02, 2012, 10:02:13 PM

When you pull the card before the shutdown has completed the bootloader jumps to a "random data" location. This causes hard lockups on 99% of the cases but it jumped to a rom self-destruct routine once. At least we belive so
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5