Magic Lantern version for Canon EOS Rebel SL3, or workaround for 30m shutoff?

Started by VerokuChan, April 07, 2020, 10:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VerokuChan

I have a Canon EOS Rebel SL3, and it doesn't appear to be listed as a camera the Magic Lantern software is available for. I'm wondering if there will be in the future? Or if there is another known workaround for the 30 minute Live View Shut off for this specific Camera Model.

I currently have this camera and an Elgato Cam Link 4K for the purpose of Streaming. It seems from some research that some people don't run into the 30 minute shut off with this camera, and others do. But I can't get concrete information on how to avoid it myself.

To be clear, I have an AC adapter for uninterrupted power, I have Clean HDMI running to the Cam Link 4K, and I have Disabled the automatic Shut off for the camera.(which just makes this Live view shut off all the more infuriating).

I've tested this in Discord Video calls, and Streamlabs OBS, both have the shutter close after 30 minutes. And I have dug through the manual for anyway to stop the shutter from closing due to inactivity with the camera, I've also contacted Canon directly.

The camera currently is listed as a Fully supported camera for use with the Elgato Cam Link 4K for the very purpose I am using it for too.

This was a very significant investment for my Streaming set up, and I am very concerned about it becoming just a paper weight. Since I'm not a photographer, the only use it would have for me was a much more professional image quality for my streams.

Any insight or help on how I can get around this limitation on this specific camera model would be appreciated, since some seem to use this camera for this purpose with no issue.

Walter Schulz

Get a cam suited for your needs.
You will find a list of ML-supported cams able to suppress 30 minutes timer on experimental build page
Lookup lua_fix.

VerokuChan

Just buy a new one isn't really helpful to be completely honest. This camera is listed as a fully supported one for the purposes of what I am trying to use it for. And was already a significant financial investment. I am looking to get this camera to work, since clearly, it works for some with the Elgato Cam Link for streaming.

I can't afford to just fork out a ton of money for another camera, especially right now with everything going on right now.

Walter Schulz

Sell this one, get one that is working. "Fully compatible" with your streaming software doesn't mean it would turn your SL3 into a different cam or being able to bypass its limitiations. I do not know if a 100D/SL1 is on the compatibility list: Used around 135€. SL3: 320€. You are earning money! Sort of.

Nobody can tell how to make your SL3 (which is working as designed) to work as not intended like those you described without providing a valid source. But it doesn't really matter: Because those claiming to have cams working this way are unable to tell anything about how to do that. How should we know?

VerokuChan

I mean if you don't know a workaround, that's fine. That is however what I am looking for, since this camera and many like it are used as streaming cameras. I'm not looking to debate, and I'm also not looking to sell my current camera, and roll the dice on a new one.

I'm just looking for people experienced with This camera, who may know the methods in getting it to work for streaming. Since there are people out there using this exact model for the purposes without getting shut down by the 30 min live view limitation.

Walter Schulz

I own this cam and have no idea how to manipulate 30 minute timer.

VerokuChan

Like I said, that's fine. However some people out there have the camera, and are able to use it without the limitation. It's them I hope to reach.

Danne

Quote from: VerokuChan on April 08, 2020, 04:04:02 AM
Like I said, that's fine. However some people out there have the camera, and are able to use it without the limitation. It's them I hope to reach.
What people exactly?

If you refer to this video:
https://youtu.be/Jdu6zdVzl9E

Eos utilty needs to be on. But unclear exactly what is going on. You'd be better off asking your questions in that youtube thread.

VerokuChan

I was actually referring to others that post videos recommending this exact camera for use with Cam Link, as well as the fact that it has been tested by enough people to warrant being listed as a supported camera with the Cam link on Elgato's website.

However, I want to thank you for providing that video, even though it was for a different camera model, the workaround they use, also works for the EOS Rebel SL3. And might work for other Canon cameras as well.

It is a bit more troublesome to setup, but if it keeps this camera from being a $650 paperweight, it's worth it.