Author Topic: Infinite focus in low light shooting  (Read 471 times)

NoHinAmhherst

• New to the forum
Infinite focus in low light shooting
« on: November 12, 2019, 03:48:20 PM »
I am looking for some basic tips to have less depth of field in low light situations. Specifically, if my daughter is performing in a mostly darkened room on stage and my camera is on a tripod, what are my best settings to make sure she isn't just in focus on one part of the stage and blown out if she moves forward or back? My goal is infinite focus, which can be tough in low light.

ISO, aperture, and any hidden ML tricks?

Also, perhaps is there a thread with post-processing compression techniques? I don't need 20GB for a kid's play.

Walter Schulz

• Contributor
Re: Infinite focus in low light shooting
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 04:50:16 PM »
If you are using a lens reporting focus distance you get a screen like this

with all informations you need at the bottom: Distance and DOF. Ignore "This feature only works in LiveView". This refers to highlighted menu item. Lookup "Hyperfocal Distance" if needed.
If your lens does not support this:
Measure or estimate distance and get yourself an oldfashioned focus distance card http://dofmaster.com/ or an app for DOF calculation.
Photogs and videographers: Assist in proof reading upcoming in-camera help!. Your input is wanted and needed!

NoHinAmhherst

• New to the forum
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 01:10:40 PM »
I guess I'm not sure what's been suggested as the solution. What are the steps?

I can find this menu, but it's unclear what I need to do.

Thank you.

Walter Schulz

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 01:30:23 PM »
DOF near = Distance to stage (front)
DOF far = Distance to stage (rear)
AF off and adjust aperture and focus distance to your needs. Then set shutter speed according to aczors speeds. Then adjust ISO (or let ML adjust ISO for you).

Depending on lens' focal length, distance, available light, movements on stage you may not be able to adjust all settings as wanted.

I suggest to read/watch some DOF related tutorials. It is quite basic stuff to know (for DSLR shooters). See http://dofmaster.com/dofjs.html and other sources.
Photogs and videographers: Assist in proof reading upcoming in-camera help!. Your input is wanted and needed!

2blackbar

• Senior
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 10:05:21 AM »
What camera? You can get CCTV lenses that are like f1.4 and when you stop them down a bit you have a lot in focus.

Walter Schulz

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 03:08:50 PM »
I suppose we're not talking cropped RAW/MLV here ...