Video: Bitrate boost on FPS override

Started by d-dsn, September 12, 2012, 10:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d-dsn

Would it be possible to calculate highest possible CBR value based on the FPS override setting?

I assume if I set FPS = 5.000 my data writing would decrease to 1/5 compared to 25 FPS, right?
In that way timelapse videos could be recorded in very high (x3) CBR mode because buffer wouldn't overflow.
CBR multiplier could be something like (default FPS / FPS override) x default CBR

Thanks,
Mikko

a1ex

d-dsn

How could ML know what's the maximum bitrate that my memory card can handle?

I know I can override to what ever Qscale value if I shoot with 1FPS etc, but what if I disable FPS override? I'll be shooting max FPS with max quality and my card cannot handle it anymore... I'm lookign for an option to conditionally change video quality based on FPS override.
Or am I missing something here...?

Malcolm Debono

Quote from: d-dsn on September 12, 2012, 01:09:54 PM
How could ML know what's the maximum bitrate that my memory card can handle?

It doesn't. If your memory card can't handle the specified bitrate, video will stop recording after a few seconds. You need to do some tests to find the maximum bitrate for your memory card.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

1%

I get at max 20MB/s.... I implemented quality dropping on buffer fill and it pretty much goes according to the card write but you get big drops when the card can't keep up. Suddenly complex scenes can still stop it.

I should see what happens with FPS override. Its closest to what you're asking.

g3mccotter

Yeah I am curious about this as well. It would be nice to be able to up the quality of the video if we lower the fps. Or up the fps if we lower the quality. By quality I don't think I just mean bit rate either. I would like to be able to shoot 120 fps even if it was in 480p, of course it would be better higher quality but just really push the limit of the write speed and card. I also think it should be possible to go the other way and shoot like 2k at 15 fps or 10.

For example I have a 60d and I know it will shoot 4k at 5 fps but only up to 15 frames I believe, and this is not in movie mode of course its just taking pictures. I have put the photos on a timeline at about 2 fps with minimal motion and kind of works but I would like to be able to do it without actuating the shutter and faster like 15 fps.

The new gopro shoots 120 fps at 480p. I am not complaining just curious as to why this isn't implemented. I do appreciate the 65 fps ML gives us at 720p.

1%

Its not implemented because we haven't been able to figure it out. More FPS is doubtful. Different sizes, possibly. Probably will be smaller vs bigger tho.