EOSM intervalmeter operation questions

Started by dansawyer, July 26, 2019, 05:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dansawyer

I have been using ML off on for several months. There appears to be a change in the intervalmeter operation.
The change is in the relationship between the 'take a picture every time' setting and the exposure time. The original operation seemed to be the 'take a picture every time' setting had to be greater than the exposure time value. That seems to have changed. The take a picture every time value now appears to operate as a delay between the end of the previous photo and beginning of the next shot. I am using ML is astrophotography so the exposure times are long, bulb values of 1 to 2 minutes. Is there a configuration variable that controls the operation of the 'take a picture every time' setting?

a1ex

This was never changed (at least, not in any of the builds from the download page).

dansawyer

Thank you. When running an intervalmeter sequence there are 4 displays on the screen:
1. The count down to starting the intervalmeter.
2. The display when the shutter is open.
3. The image after the exposure is taken
4. "BUSY" is displayed on the screen.
What does "BUSY" signify? What causes it to be displayed?

Walter Schulz

Most likely "Long Exposure Noise Reduction" processing a dark frame everytime condition is met.
See manual p. 161 and help text for Take a pic every.

dansawyer

Thank you for the pointer, long exposure noise reduction does indeed appear to be the culprit. I am using ML and the intervalmeter feature. What appears to be happening is when a program is set up in intervalmeter and long exposure noise reduction is set the camera appears to take a time out to preform long exposure noise reduction.
While the camera is performing LENR the screen is displaying "BUSY". The intervalmeter appears to be suspended.
I did a test with LENR both on and off. When it was on the screen flashed busy for close to the length of the exposure. When this was complete the intervalmeter program seemed to restart where it was 'suspended'.
When LENR was off the math behind the take a picture every and the exposure length worked as documented.
The take away is LENR seems to insert a timeout from the intervalmeter.