[HARDWARE?] Canon 5d MK2 CANNOT set bootflag off

Started by Praecipua, June 04, 2019, 11:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Praecipua

I have tried to uninstall the ml and setting the bootflag off by using the firmware update, but there is no option for disabling the bootflag. I also tried to use an older .fir file where I could wait 30 seconds to disable the flag, but I only get a message that says "couldnt disable the bootflag"

Walter Schulz

Version used? Take a screenshot of your install screen, please.

Praecipua

So the version is the latest nightly build for the 5d mk2 (2018-07-02 22:17) . I'll include a video of the install screen, but now I have also more problems with the camera, which I am going to describe below. I am also going to show these problems in the video.

So first of all, these problems all happen with and without a magic lantern enabled CF card
what happens is that when I turn the camera on, nothing happens, only the red light lights up a couple of times.
none of the buttons work.
HOWEVER, when I slightly press the shutter button, other buttons in the camera work, allowing me to go to the live view or to the menu for example. However I cannot take a picture in the live view mode, BUT when in the canon menu, pressing the shutter button even slightly results in the camera taking a photo.
When trying to update, I am able to reinstall canon firmware. (doesnt fix the issue) after the install is finished the camera takes a photo for no reason.
when trying to install magic lantern, the camera for some reason again takes a photo, which makes it so that I am able to install magic lantern, however most of the install screen is blocked by the cameras settings screen.

Basically the camera is just acting very strangely and almost every action requires me to press the shutter button first.

Here is the video (where I am showing the problem to some extent and showing my install screen):

SORRY FOR VERTICAL VIDEO!!! also its processing atm so might be hard to read...

Danne

Praecipua

Same story, with or without battery clip. I have tried taking out batteries and the lens and the card too. I have followed all the instructions very carefully to the best of my knowledge.

This has actually happened before too, back then I just reinstalled canon firmware and formatted my card and installer ML again. This time it does not fix the issue though...

I also read about some fuse issues with the 5d mk2, Could this be related to that?

a1ex

Half-shutter stuck; possibly also full-shutter, or some kind of shutter mechanism issue. Contact a camera service; your problem is not related to ML.

Just FYI: if the shutter mechanism is worn out, the MPU may actuate it at camera startup, or randomly, resulting in noise similar to taking a photo (but it's not actually capturing any image).

Praecipua

Sorry, I might have been unclear, But yes the camera DOES record pictures when the shutter goes off like that. And I really don't understand why would the problem you described make the whole camera stop functioning. Also when I am at the normal menu, I cannot take pictures, It is only when I enter the menu (by first pressing the shutter button) that I can press the shutter button again (even slightly) and the camera will take a picture.

Also I am still wondering why can I not remove the bootflag anymore...

I also did contact a camera service when I had this issue before, and they said that they couldn't do anything about it and that it was a software related issue :/

Praecipua

Hey! Actually, I now understand what you mean by the shutter being stuck, Sorry for my ignorance. I will look into fixing it myself. Thank you so much.

I would still like to know how to disable the bootflag though.

a1ex

Boot flag: try to unlock the half-shutter right after running Firmware Update. ML installer will wait for 60 seconds, but it will abort as soon as user gets out of Canon menu - or, rather, it's actually unable to enter there.

Or, it will work out of the box after you fix the hardware issue.

Praecipua

Okay. Thanks! I looked online and people were fixing the issue by pouring some isopropyl alcohol down the battery compartment so that it drains out from the sides of the shutter release button. Do you think this will do the trick?

Thanks.

Walter Schulz

You may do this but be aware you won't get pure Isopropyl. Most likely you will get 70 percent (at best) with 30 percent H2O. Highly flammable! Fumes, too! And don't soak your sensor, please!

Praecipua

This I know :D, I'll have to wait for it all to dry out...

I'll post my results here after I am done.

Thanks for the help!

Praecipua

So I tried the isopropyl methdod, but it didnt work, Now the shutter just goes off when ever I start the camera, and I cant do anything else, now I cant acces the menus at all.

I opened the camera up and took the top part with the mode dial, shutter button etc, cleaned it carefully, made sure there werent any contact issues. still no luck. I tried to start the camera without the top part at all, so that I dont even have the shutter button. The problem seems otherwise fixed, but I still cant press any buttons on my camera (cant enter menus etc).

the only way to enter menus now is to have the top on and press the little Auto-focus button, and then press menu.

Praecipua

I have come to a conclusion that the issue cannot be because of the Shutter button, because the camera keeps having the issue, even when the whole top of the camera is removed. I have tried to use the Shutter button from my batterygrip, with the whole top removed, and same story as before.

Could my main board be broken?

a1ex

You could run the following test build:

https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/view/Experiments/job/startup-log-mpu/

It will log all messages coming from the MPU; along these, you will see the half-shutter and full-shutter status. I doubt it will help to pinpoint the defect at hardware level; it will probably just say the two switches are pressed.