Ultrathin lens gives perfect image

Started by jplxpto, August 29, 2012, 12:55:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jplxpto

"
A new, ultra-thin flat lens has a focusing power at the very edge of what's theoretically possible, promising a distortion-free image.
"

from

http://www.tgdaily.com/hardware-features/65714-ultrathin-lens-gives-perfect-image

KarateBrot

oh my god this is blowing my mind (I'm studying physics)
If you donate a RED EPIC to me you officially are very cool ;)

3pointedit

I wonder if it is possible to have a variable effect with this technology, so that you could attain a zoom effect-change FOV? And I wonder if it makes sense to have a change in FOV across the field, like an anamorphic, but more dynamic. What does it mean for aperture, I suppose that you don't need one for focusing such a lens?
550D on ML-roids

Tyrone Williams

Wow... I foresee a wonderful new zoom, 5mm fisheye to 3,500mm telephoto, with a mere 2mm protrusion from the lens mount... but how do you find the manual focus ring? Heehee :) Seriously though, this sort of ground breaking news is really exciting, and probably the military will fund it, use it in their applications, then it trickles down to us camera users.
Canon 7D with ML Alpha 2. Canon 70-200L f4, 17-40L f4, nifty fifty (1.8 50mm) and home-modded macro lens. Support by Manfrotto and my long-suffering wife :)