Does ML replace Canon's firmware or does it only run ''over'' it?

Started by Colariboo, August 25, 2012, 10:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colariboo

Hi,

I want to say first that, even though I read the FAQ, I am still not sure to understand how ML works, partly because a lot of word used to in the FAQ are unknown to me and I can't really figure out what they mean. But, because I have something tonight (in less than three hours) and because I'd like to take this opportunity to take photos and videos (I'm going to an Electronic music party, kind-of), I'd need to install ML fast, but before doing so, I want to be sure I'll be able to change back things up like they are at the moment, and that my equipment is ''ready'' to have ML installed.

So, basically, what I was wondering was : is it possible to (I guess it is but whatever), and if yes, how do you remove ML and reinstall Canon's firmware?

Also, I'm making a guess here but, is the idea with ML that : you install (or whatever it really is) ML on an SD card and whenever you use that SD card, the camera will boot with ML? Or does ML really replace the Canon firmware?

Thank you for your answers and help, I'll be looking forward to them.

Colariboo

PS There probably a couple of grammatical and syntaxic mistakes, partly because English is not my first language.

Francis

It runs alongside the regular firmware and is booted off the card when the camera is turned on. If you used a different card without ML installed on it, the camera will just start up like normal.

To remove you simply format the card in your computer or in the camera. If formatted in the camera, you will have to select the option to remove ML. By default it loads all the ML files into the cameras memory, formats the card, and puts the files back on the card.

matt_sawyers

Quote from: Colariboo on August 25, 2012, 10:33:38 PM
But, because I have something tonight (in less than three hours) and because I'd like to take this opportunity to take photos and videos (I'm going to an Electronic music party, kind-of), I'd need to install ML fast[...]

I wouldn't recommend doing this.

Reason 1: if something goes wrong and you have camera issues right before an event... then... it's not good.
Reason 2: ML can be overwhelming at first, but after working with it for 1-2 at the least, you can start to get the hang of using it, without taking (or distracting) you away from an event that needs to be shot.

I guess, I've learned over the years, you shouldn't try something new that could damage your workflow right before an event (especially within 3 hours)...

Of course if you are doing this to learn how to use ML... then by all means, go for it  :P

Again, this is just my experience.

Colariboo

Quote from: matt_sawyers on August 25, 2012, 10:55:32 PM
I guess, I've learned over the years, you shouldn't try something new that could damage your workflow right before an event (especially within 3 hours)...

Of course if you are doing this to learn how to use ML... then by all means, go for it  :P

Again, this is just my experience.

But I guess you are right; the main reason I wanted (or would've liked) to try it this evening was to maybe get better results with the numerous ML options and flexibility, but I think it may not, as you're suggesting it, be the best moment to try it, since I'm mostly looking for good results tonight (and possibly improved ones with ML, but I guess it may be, as you're telling me, a bit risky too risky for the occasion).

Quote from: Francis on August 25, 2012, 10:47:56 PM
It runs alongside the regular firmware and is booted off the card when the camera is turned on. If you used a different card without ML installed on it, the camera will just start up like normal.

To remove you simply format the card in your computer or in the camera. If formatted in the camera, you will have to select the option to remove ML. By default it loads all the ML files into the cameras memory, formats the card, and puts the files back on the card.

Thank god! The opposit would've bugged me a bit :P .

But, even if, in the end, I choose not to try ML tonight, would you say that it (ML) improves or helps to improve night or club (people dancing with flashing lights and stobes, basically :P) photography? Because that's what I was looking for regarding tonight's event, but I would've used ML someday anyway since I'm studying in cinema and since ML apparently improves the video/movie-making experience a lot. Here are some example of pictures I took in such an event, and some from a deadmau5 concert I went to last September; it would be much appreciated if you could give me some advices regarding the use of the camera's options and such :) (to compensate for the fact that I will not have ML tonight and that I won't be able to surf as much into specific or very open settings as if I was using ML) :

(I don't necessarily like these pictures, but they are examples of what I managed to take in these conditions)

https://gnb1aa.sn2.livefilestore.com/y1p-tpjmV1mJCb4n6RuQDaeKOahQvVG1HjCIiHNVm1A4qzwjAdTxDmBjn0vQlmQR98X6MJ7RLnG0r82SGRyhXlz2CHQrEJNAU2Y/IMG_2087%20-%20Copie.JPG?psid=1

https://sb9erg.sn2.livefilestore.com/y1p-91kj0CNCW0PQYShKMFOgobJc0hQUgy-HN3GiJWtPxPKQBDKtnORS8-_czqKuvZZLEA2JoR7mhWvGm_hDa_8ZzjIkMTW7gxa/IMG_2708%20-%20Copie.JPG?psid=1 (I know I used my 50mm f/1.8 for this one)

https://ftaqlg.sn2.livefilestore.com/y1pi5-Fkl6wSksmYXC6xzgItwBjTn17Ri_Xd0i5IcScTldX0z8JHIWCaMResZp-nH8ZiRCpZ_sIXEVv6pTcawvIafakOnH1y-m3/1ier%20octobre%202011%20513.JPG?psid=1

https://ftaqlg.sn2.livefilestore.com/y1p-xcg78SZLJHcucuCjJukcZrMydpb9C_Ic4_reP0rYkzoVg0OuxvEw0IXCvi4GMYHyYUv9y5fVRAN5kwDhfk5KQzqDC0mPNaC/1ier%20octobre%202011%20563.JPG?psid=1

https://ftaqlg.sn2.livefilestore.com/y1pma5hPkkuSE4cFHgosOFCU7R_P8v8n8QPI1oWUe1fw2Y8HA4pFrp1le74xtSz9KMbjk-0oy3R6FIwRsQEDLoMGCYyQ3RsEsou/1ier%20octobre%202011%20881.JPG?psid=1

https://ftaqlg.sn2.livefilestore.com/y1pP-sPMbWtKKtTJIS1gZW6eZgpP8hic0Ctxrht-4CpVibnYcnT6XZM8eJSzKFuGq_M0Yu9DYjwy9rUwdM04k_9v-33Se3cJX4b/1ier%20octobre%202011%201013.JPG?psid=1

https://ftaqlg.sn2.livefilestore.com/y1pBGD-2r5cFLJhrn-rzGiuPUhmP3qOMQtc8FZxzLronNhnLaTAxahl4HwygTqGI0Pm2_ITppnkr0A-aeaUgjzV1sVCrfqDdJAE/1ier%20octobre%202011%20978.JPG?psid=1

Thanks for your help!

Francis

For just photography in that situation, ML would not help a tremendous amount. It isn't like some crazy increase in performance.The main features I use for general photography are custom focus patterns (selecting different groups of focus points) and the exposure and focus overlays in review mode. Being able to see the histogram as well as zebras and focus peaking on the pictures I just took is very useful.

Video would be a different story. The exposure and focusing tools are very helpful in all sorts of situations including low light settings like concerts.

Colariboo

I see. So would you say that ML is pretty much ''made for'' video, or that video is the domain in which ML proves to be the most useful or improving, in comparison with Canon's firmware?

g3gg0

no, would not say that ML is mainly for video. the second sentence is absolutely right.
>  video is the domain in which ML proves to be the most useful or improving, in comparison with Canon's firmware

ML is for photo and video, but in video mode, things that ML can do have a lot more impact.
original canon fw has too few configuration possibilities in video mode and the few things ML "adds", bring a huge feature and usability boost.

in photo mode, canon fw is configurable quite good, so ML adds many things that make life easier.
e.g. instant(or quick) zoom to focus point in picture review - the thing i would miss the most.
or low fps mode in liveview when trying to focus infinity (stars) - suddenly the darkest night shows clouds in LV.

and *not* to install ML right before a shooting is a good idea. a very good idea..
in case you cant get it running the first time (e.c. card reader writes crap to card) and your camera wont
boot ML, but just lock up because disk is already boot-flagged, you get in stress really quick :)

ML alone wont do anything better - you have to know all the features and get used to them.
so just take one sunday afternoon and check what these features do.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!