Author Topic: 5D Mark iii in crop mode with external monitor  (Read 871 times)

cboillot

• New to the forum
5D Mark iii in crop mode with external monitor
« on: January 06, 2019, 04:41:36 PM »
Hi there and sorry if the question has aleady been asked.
Most of the crop modes work with the preview broken and I wonder if using an external monitor would fix this? Or does the same greyscale than in Liveview would be shown on the Ext. monitor while shooting ?
Many thanks for your help and happy new year !

Lars Steenhoff

• Senior
Re: 5D Mark iii in crop mode with external monitor
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 11:11:45 AM »
It fixes it  :)

external is in color

a1ex

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark Free
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 11:59:54 AM »
It fixes it  :)

external is in color

Was that supposed to be trolling?!

If it's broken on the internal LCD, it will be just as broken on the external monitor.
If it's color and real-time on the internal LCD, it will be color and real-time on the external monitor as well.
If it's grayscale or slow on the internal LCD, change the preview options and start over.

Generally speaking, external monitor support is more difficult, as it requires 6 times more bandwidth (1920x1080 vs 720x480). For this particular issue, it's a matter of figuring out how to alter Canon's previewing pipeline (or how to reprogram it from scratch on the image processing hardware, rather than on the main CPU, which is very slow).

Lars Steenhoff

• Senior
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 12:27:48 PM »
I may have remberered it wrong, I will double check when I get home

Edit yes its broken on the external
too if its broken on the internal, sorry It was because I rembered something about the 5x zoom being balck and white on the back lcd and in color on extrernal. and I thought this applied to the other crops too

cboillot

• New to the forum
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 04:02:29 PM »
Was that supposed to be trolling?!

If it's broken on the internal LCD, it will be just as broken on the external monitor.
If it's color and real-time on the internal LCD, it will be color and real-time on the external monitor as well.
If it's grayscale or slow on the internal LCD, change the preview options and start over.

Generally speaking, external monitor support is more difficult, as it requires 6 times more bandwidth (1920x1080 vs 720x480). For this particular issue, it's a matter of figuring out how to alter Canon's previewing pipeline (or how to reprogram it from scratch on the image processing hardware, rather than on the main CPU, which is very slow).

Many thanks for your answer A1ex. I won't invest in any external monitor and keep playing with the internal LCD then!

Dmytro_ua

• Freshman
  • Canon 5d mark III ML
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 04:11:29 PM »
I won't invest in any external monitor and keep playing with the internal LCD then!

I don't have an ext.monitor, but I'd like to know:

When we use crop module with 50/60fps, our preview with overlays always with poor quality and lags. But, when we turn overlays off with "info" button - we can see regular Canon preview without lags and in color - but it is stretched. Can we enable anamorphic squeeze (on ext.monitor) to get right proportions?

Lars Steenhoff

• Senior
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 08:23:40 AM »
Maybe this will give you an idea re: 5D3.123...

davethedude

• New to the forum
Re: 5D Mark iii in crop mode with external monitor 5x zoom
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 11:24:42 PM »
Is there a way to get the same image on an external monitor in crop mode that is on the live view?  When I am shooting 3.5 K in 2.35:1 and use an external monitor, the monitor is showing the 5x zoom.  Is there a way around this?