Danne's crop_rec_4k, 5DIII

Started by Danne, November 09, 2018, 05:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

has_abandonment_issu

Hi again everyone I just wanted to update that I did receive a Sandisk 128gb Extreme Pro 170mbps card, and the patch is working correctly and I can record at 125mbps without global draw or 115 with.

This is further confirmation that the 128gb cards seem to work consistently.

It's awesome! Thank you guys again it's like I have a brand new camera.

has_abandonment_issu

I'm getting a lot of "file create error"s when using the sd overclocking, mostly in UHD mode. It seems to happen if I enable anything in global draw. It will also happen randomly, but it happens consistently if I enable something in global draw, then restart.

Edit: I purchased my card off of ebay, and while it benchmarks correctly and does function with ML, I have reasons to be suspicious that it's not authentic so I ordered another one from B&H and will update if this error persists with that card.

Hisplan247

What are your exact settings for the 5d Mark iii? I have the 128gb A2 v30 170

has_abandonment_issu

Quote from: Hisplan247 on August 11, 2020, 07:33:31 PM
What are your exact settings for the 5d Mark iii? I have the 128gb A2 v30 170

That model is a micro sd with adapter right? I'm using a SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO UHS-I SDXC (but it might be a knock off). Firmware 3113. All global draw overlays set off, but global draw on. UHD mode with 12 bit set to on in the external menu. Card spanning on. SD overclock on. If I turn on any cropmarks or histogram or anything else in global draw it will return a "failure to create file" error when I try to shoot, and it will continue to shoot just using the cf card.

Sometimes it works, but if I turn the camera off and on it will usually return an error on the second start up.

toto2012

Hi Danne, thank very much for your build. It's amazing !
Today I installed your latest from today I guess. I have the 5D3 with 1.2.3.
I work with the 5.7K Anamorphic but I have some issues with the global draw I think. When I record with the global draw my "speed record" is always in the orange and after 30-40seconds the record stop automatically. If I disable the global draw everything works and my speed record is green and around 90Mb/s, and I can record without limits.
I record only on my CF Card Sandisk Extreme Pro 160Mb/s. Do you have an idea if it's possible to fix this ?

Thank you

has_abandonment_issu

Quote from: toto2012 on August 12, 2020, 01:29:23 AM
Hi Danne, thank very much for your build. It's amazing !
Today I installed your latest from today I guess. I have the 5D3 with 1.2.3.
I work with the 5.7K Anamorphic but I have some issues with the global draw I think. When I record with the global draw my "speed record" is always in the orange and after 30-40seconds the record stop automatically. If I disable the global draw everything works and my speed record is green and around 90Mb/s, and I can record without limits.
I record only on my CF Card Sandisk Extreme Pro 160Mb/s. Do you have an idea if it's possible to fix this ?

Thank you

It sounds like you're describing normal operation. Global draw will reduce recording speed, I believe because it uses up system resources. Also recording in higher frame rates reduces speed, as well as the firmware build you're using. 3123 is slower than 3113 in my testing and seemingly in general.

Is it just that speed is reduced when using global draw? The speed reduction should be around 10%.

The great thing about dannes build is that you can turn on card spanning, which will let you record to both SD and CF cards. That should get you back to normal speeds, or even faster with global draw off.

Bender@arsch

I have an update from my 3K mode trouble:
- Problem: Can't record 3K mode with cardspanning (+overclocking) + 10 or 12bit, only 14bit lossless.
- Here is what happens: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ABS7sbXXXDIjMHNzeFNeAr9lBh2Lj_3z?usp=sharing

I tested so many tests the last days. many combination of settings and installation (only CF, only SD and both).
And now i found a way, that it's works:

Quotedefault settings (fresh install, or fresh ML files/ without config) + cardspanning + without SD overclocking + 10/12 bit.
-> working and with 10bit continuous with live view or 12 bit without.

Trouble:
- if i set SD overclocking (160mhz) ->failed
- if i set in Overlay: Histogram, Waveform and Zebras (raw), with or without kill global draw ->failed
- but, if i set in Overlay: Histogram and Waveform (without zebras) and kill global draw -> working

in summary: -> only working without SD overclocking!
- If i want liveview i need to disable Zebras, Histogram and Waveform manually (not possible to simply disable global draw)
- If i want without liveview i need to disable Zebras manually (not possible to simply disable global draw or kill global draw)

-> The frustrating things is: this is only happens in 3K mode. In all other modes, i can use SD overclocking and Overlays.

------------------------------
I also tested Benchmark with your SD overclocking module:

i tested step by step from your discription! (only SD, photo mod, benchmark -> picture -> 2. benchmark)
I used a SanDisk Extreme Pro 170MB/s 128GB

without overclocking -> working (logical)

160mhz -> working (logical)

192mhz -> write ~80, read ~87 (both tests works surprisingly)
->
240mhz -> failed (5000mb...) at 1. and 2. test

so, back to 192mhz ->failed, and everytime...

The test is probably not that reliable...

@Danne
Maybe this helps a little bit

Danne

Thanks for the screen recording.
Tip. Only way for me to check for errors is to know if we can have a reliable reproducable issue. If anyone present an error one should always also go back to main intent when I buillt my presets. And that is very easy. After install select your preset and set to desired bitdepth. Then start to record. If this i working ok we at least know what works.
Next, if adding functions after this you need to find what function is causing the issue.
In general. If disabling zebras or histogram and such will make it work this is to me acceptable. I personally choose reliabilty recording over histogram and zebras. But that´s me.

So, what is actually working for you when having sd overclock enabled? Is there such a thing?

Bender@arsch

Quote-> The frustrating things is: this is only happens in 3K mode. In all other modes, i can use SD overclocking and Overlays.

But in 3K mode:
If overclocking enabled, I can record CF only, sd only (10/12/14bit - > less resolution, because of writespeed) and 14it with cardspanning (continuous at 2848, AR 16:9). But not 10/12 bit with Cardspanning.

Danne

I am sorry. Not clear to me. You install my build, enable sd overclock and start to record? Nothing extra enabled, zebras, histogram etc?  Could be your cf card if so. I use a transcend cf card and from my tests I couldn´t get your issue.

Volumetrik

Not to spam your thread @Danne, but I could not reproduce the problems you're having Bender.

3K 1:1 Preset with 2:1 aspect ratio. 160Mhz SD_UHS + Card spanning + Raw Zebras + Digic Peaking

SanDisk Extreme Pro 64Gb 170Mb/s + 1066X Lexar 128Gb CF

I am actually having close no no issues. Thanks so much Danne, with the SD overclocking I can afford to have everything with 14-Bit lossless !

Danne

Thanks for reports. The more the better to nail down potential issues. Also what is actually working is important news.

Bender@arsch

QuoteI am sorry. Not clear to me. You install my build, enable sd overclock and start to record? Nothing extra enabled, zebras, histogram etc?  Could be your cf card if so. I use a transcend cf card and from my tests I couldn´t get your issue.

I'm not sure what you mean. If I install, than enable overclocking and record in 3k mode - >SD card only (without CF card inside) or CF only (Cardspanning disabled) - > working in all bitdepth.
Default setting is 12bit and 2.35:1. If I enable Cardspanning - >failure
also with AR 16:9 and/ or 10bit.

Without extra settings.

I use a Komputerbay professional 128gb 1066x.

@Volumetrik
Sometimes it takes up to over 1min, especially with less resolution (2.35:1).
and most tests I set AR 16:9 (max. Resolution in this mode)

Danne

We need more testers but seemingly it works ok for others. Do try another cf card. Komputerbay cards are known for inconsistency.

Bender@arsch

@Danne
Yes we need more testers.

I tested other CF Cards:

- a old SanDisk Extreme 120MB/s 16GB CF card

- SanDisk Extreme Pro 160MB/s 64GB  CF card

Both fresh install/ default settings.

Settings changed:
Preset: 3K 1:1, overclocking enabled, AR 16:9, 10bit, cardspanning enabled ->restard -> waite for overclocking and nothing more.
-> record with 3072x1728 at 10bit lossless

-> failure takes up to 30sec. on both cards.

Volumetrik

First test using your settings did a minute with no corruption issues. Had one frame (206) that had a compression error. Frame demonstrated in the screenshot below. Write speed was at only 89.35 MB/s.

Second test with 16:9 10-bit stopped at 12 seconds because it was writing at 120.14 MB/s. I think this one also has one compression error, however I can't recall the frame and I can't see it by playing through the footage.

You can see the file sizes for the second test highlighted. You can also see the sizes for the 1 minute test at 2.35 AR just above.

From my hardware, camera and settings, I have to stay around the 110MB/s to get full continuous footage. That figure might be different for others reading this.

Bender@arsch

@Volunters
Interestingly, there is no pop out console while recording?
which firmware do you use?
I use 113 and can rec. up to 125mb/s with liveview and 131mb/s without (UHD mode).

In my case it never stops recording, but I see multiple compression error on frame *

Easily you can close your lens cap for less writespeed, but if you don't see the console message it will not really work.
but maybe you can enable console in ML menu under scripts.

has_abandonment_issu

Bender@arsch I get a similar error when recording higher framerates (either 1920 @ 60fps or 1050 @ 48fps) while using card spanning. I am currently using a 95mbp/s sandisk 32gb card. I haven't tested the error aggressively so I'm not sure if it conflicts with other settings.

Volumetrik

Quote from: Bender@arsch on August 14, 2020, 12:47:49 AM
@Volunters
Interestingly, there is no pop out console while recording?
which firmware do you use?
I use 113 and can rec. up to 125mb/s with liveview and 131mb/s without (UHD mode).

In my case it never stops recording, but I see multiple compression error on frame *

Easily you can close your lens cap for less writespeed, but if you don't see the console message it will not really work.
but maybe you can enable console in ML menu under scripts.

1.1.3 Latest Danne build Jul15 with stock SD_UHS @160Mhz + Spanning +Raw Zebras + Global draw + Digic peaking

I did get the console message, but it kept on recording. (forgot to mention sorry) The compression error message was only for the frame 206 which was blank as shown. I agree that this is not ideal and it partially obscures the liveview, but the recording was okay and was fully available to view in MLVApp afterwards.

So in a sense, I did (kinda) reproduce your error for the compression, but I could not replicate the ''failed'' portion of it. The recording works, albeit for that singular blank frame.

Also, to think of it, I did a day-long shoot with the 5DIII in June and I did get that error (frame compression + console appearing on liveview, but still recording) recording 3K 1:1 present in 2:1 aspect ratio at 10-bit non spanning only on CF recording.

Quote from: has_abandonment_issu on August 14, 2020, 01:08:23 AM
Bender@arsch I get a similar error when recording higher framerates (either 1920 @ 60fps or 1050 @ 48fps) while using card spanning. I am currently using a 95mbp/s sandisk 32gb card. I haven't tested the error aggressively so I'm not sure if it conflicts with other settings.

I also got errors using my 32GB SDHC 95MB/s SanDisk. I think the newer SDXC 170MB/s cards work better in our use-case.

Danne

Ok, so getting compression errors will need some tinkering. There should be none. I will take a look and see if I can tweak some.

Danne

Bender@arsch

@Danne
Thanks for your hard work!

I tested it out,... And it works lovely!

Same Settings:
fresh install/ default settings.

Settings changed:
Preset: 3K 1:1, overclocking enabled, AR 16:9, 10bit, cardspanning enabled ->restard -> waite for overclocking and nothing more.
-> record with 3072x1728 at 10bit lossless

Recording over 90sec without failures!

I also tested 12 bit and kill global draw - > working

And again, but this time with Overlays (Histogram, waveform and zebras (raw, hide while rec.))
-> and it's working

Danne, you rocked it!

Danne

Volumetrik

@Danne @Bender@arsh

Confirmed on my end ! Everything is working well, no compression errors on 10-Bit or 12-Bit.

Over 5 minutes for both bit-depth !! Danne you're the man !

has_abandonment_issu

@Danne

I was so excited about the amazing anamorphic mode and card spanning, I forgot to mention something I noticed a while ago.

In regular raw recording without using any crop modes, I get different exposures while using the same exposure settings if I change bit depth.

Switching between 14 bit lossless in mlvlite, 12 bit lossless, or 14 bit lossless in mlvlite with 12 bit in the bit depth menu all return different exposures. I haven't tested any other combinations.

You can't see it in liveview, but when you play back with mlvplay in camera or bring the files onto a computer, the differences are obvious.

I remember this build originally started with you editing the ISO settings, maybe something left over? Or maybe it's a feature not a bug!