Language File

Started by Noctis, August 13, 2012, 10:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noctis

Hey there

How about an community edited language file?
In my opinion not that easy to implement, but it could be an nice feature.

Greetings from Germany!

Noc

nedex

Hi,

I just looked at the source of magic lantern, and as a programmer I think is not that difficult, but different testers would be needed to fit localized texts in the display properly.

A set of functions could be created, like localize("Shoot") or localize("Focus") that returns the localized string of the matched word or string, and the strings themselves if the string can't be localized.
Easier than a similiar function like guiText(int) that returns the string of the given int id (requiring even a english localization), but that would make the code for the developers unreadable.

In different localized text files (without English) the Italian lines could be (making <0> our separator, or easily \t)
About Magic Lantern <=> Info su Magic Lantern
Shoot <=> Scatto
Focus <=> Fuoco

The "hard" work for developers is to replace all the texts from the source with the functions and, obviously, find a way to make it work.

---

By the way, translated docs could be enough to avoid the lack of gui translation.

Greets from Italy.
NedEX.

PS. I preferred ML 2.2 for the key shortcuts LOL

ilguercio

To be honest, as a native Italian speaker and good English speaker, i don't think the effort of translating the whole ML is worth.
Personally, i already use English language in every software i have and while i think localization is nice it looks like doing it for ML would require too much work that could be used elsewhere.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

scrax

Quote from: nedex on August 14, 2012, 03:18:46 AM
Hi,

I just looked at the source of magic lantern, and as a programmer I think is not that difficult, but different testers would be needed to fit localized texts in the display properly.

A set of functions could be created, like localize("Shoot") or localize("Focus") that returns the localized string of the matched word or string, and the strings themselves if the string can't be localized.
Easier than a similiar function like guiText(int) that returns the string of the given int id (requiring even a english localization), but that would make the code for the developers unreadable.

In different localized text files (without English) the Italian lines could be (making <0> our separator, or easily \t)
About Magic Lantern <=> Info su Magic Lantern
Shoot <=> Scatto
Focus <=> Fuoco

The "hard" work for developers is to replace all the texts from the source with the functions and, obviously, find a way to make it work.

---

By the way, translated docs could be enough to avoid the lack of gui translation.

Greets from Italy.
NedEX.

PS. I preferred ML 2.2 for the key shortcuts LOL

Hi needex, if you want you could take a look on how 400Dplus is implementing languages support. They added a language file with all the supported translation and in the source they have only english.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

nedex

Quote from: scrax on August 14, 2012, 01:51:36 PM
Hi needex, if you want you could take a look on how 400Dplus is implementing languages support. They added a language file with all the supported translation and in the source they have only english.

I'll take a look.
By the way I'm thinking about a mod to the function that prints the text. Dirty but possible :D

Bye!

fmp-videostudio

Hello! I would help to joint in the Magic Lantern translating project. I can speak in Hungarian :P

XanderLeaDaren

I'd like to contribute to the French translation of MagicLantern GUI, too. ;)