Video file does not save on CF card + writing led flashes ones every 5 sec

Started by Siav77, June 05, 2018, 12:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siav77

Hi

I am quite new on ML. I have installed on my 5dmiii firmware 1.2.3 and the stable version for ML that goes with it.
I have followed the instructions for installation and for setting up ML to its minimal for a start. I just enabled 4k and nothing more on ML and checked the preferred card for recording is the CF card. After a test video shoot, there is no video on the CF card.

>edit: on the debug mode, I see there is a memory error "overflow" Can this be the reason why the file is not written on the CF card? What causes this error? The SD card is a basic 16Gb 80Mb/s card.

Also, having the SD card (which has only ML on it) and the CF card (that has some photos on it, 128Gb 1000x card), the read/write led blinks once every 5 second (this happens on M/Tv/Av/P...etc mode of the camera set on photo mode), is that normal?

Thanks for your help!

Kharak

I don't think there is an official stable build for raw recording.

There are nightly builds (which are unofficially stable) and experimental builds, the latter which most are using now I believe, because of the crop_rec.mo allowing higher resolution capture and high fps capture. Like 3.5k and 60 fps 3x3.

I recommend you try the nightly build first, as the experimental builds require you know how to deal with the quirks and freezes of the camera without panicking.
once you go raw you never go back

Walter Schulz

And go to Modules tab, enable Bench.mo. Restart cam and access Debug tab -> Benchmarks -> Card benchmarks -> Quick R/W benchmark (1 min) to get write performance for your cards.
- UHS-II not supported -> SD-card will do UHS-I compatibility mode -> Without tweaks you will get numbers below 25 MByte/s
- CF-card's 80 MByte/s label indicates read performance, not write.

Siav77

Quote from: Kharak on June 05, 2018, 09:19:25 AM

I recommend you try the nightly build first, as the experimental builds require you know how to deal with the quirks and freezes of the camera without panicking.

I have the nightly build, yes.

Siav77

Actually I found the video clips I shot. They're visible only when reading the CF card from a memory card reader.

Siav77

Quote from: Walter Schulz on June 05, 2018, 09:43:15 AM
And go to Modules tab, enable Bench.mo. Restart cam and access Debug tab -> Benchmarks -> Card benchmarks -> Quick R/W benchmark (1 min) to get write performance for your cards.
- UHS-II not supported -> SD-card will do UHS-I compatibility mode -> Without tweaks you will get numbers below 25 MByte/s
- CF-card's 80 MByte/s label indicates read performance, not write.

I have ran the benchmark and I got 86Mb/s speed in writing and 109Mb/s in reading.
After recording, even 3 sec, I get the memory error overflow. Can it be because I use a crappy SD card where ML is located?

The read/write led stil blinks once every approx. 5 sec...

Siav77

Kharak

once you go raw you never go back

Walter Schulz

And begin with most basic configuration.
Install ML on CF-card and use CF only (remove SD). Load only modules you need for MLV recording. Adjust frame rate and resolution according to card's write rate (diminished by overhead for processing). Go for continuous recording.

After you established your baseline you may pimp your ride (ML on SD, recording to CF, getting a faster card).

Siav77

Quote from: Walter Schulz on June 06, 2018, 11:36:50 AM
And begin with most basic configuration.
Install ML on CF-card and use CF only (remove SD). Load only modules you need for MLV recording. Adjust frame rate and resolution according to card's write rate (diminished by overhead for processing). Go for continuous recording.

After you established your baseline you may pimp your ride (ML on SD, recording to CF, getting a faster card).

thanks again Walter. Do I have to uninstall ML and install it again from the CF card? Is it possible for the camera to load ML and write from the same card (the CF card)?

Siav77

Quote from: Kharak on June 06, 2018, 11:01:16 AM
What modules do you have loaded?

thanks again Kharak.
I have loaded the modules: Bench, dot_tue, dual_iso (but it's not activated), ettr and mlv_rec