Depth of field reporting

Started by Roman, September 07, 2012, 08:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roman

Generally when I'm taking pictures or shooting vid, I pick the settings I think will be appropriate and then check to see how the depth of field etc 'looks' in the camera and adjust from there. (I'm guessing most people do the same)

However I've got some upcoming scenarios where I want a specific depth of field ahead of time, as I cant afford to spend the time configuring the camera on site but need it to be right.

Like for example, which of my lenses can give me a 3m depth of field 20 meters away from the camera?

I found this really handy site:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Which has some great calculations and tables etc.

Now what I was thinking, is that doenst the camera already have all of the necessary variables available to do these calculations?

(So long as you're not using a manual lense)

It would be fantastic to be able to have your DOF reported, even if it was just a calculator that couldnt run from the lense info.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this? I think it would be great to have some quantifiable units, rather than mashing the apeture up or down.

It would be a damn handy replacement for having to prepare a little chart or graph to figure these things out on site!

a1ex

Roman

Oh snap!

Howd I miss that...

Awesome! Cheers this is going to be great  ;D