The first of many attempts, killing my shutter life =(

I hope you guys like it =)

Canon EOS 5D Mark III, Canon EF 24-105mm,
Canon EF 50 mm F/1.4

dariwz

ML 2.3: 600D/T3i; EF-S18-55mm II, EF 50mm f/1.8 II

Kadzam

Hi,

thanks for sharing. I saw a similar time lapse of a starry sky  (can't find it anymore) that slowly turned into a star trail video. So, initially you could see individual stars moving across the sky (like in your example) but then they smeared to rings. How would the work-flow for such a result look like?

bart

Quote from: Kadzam on August 20, 2012, 07:47:18 AM
So, initially you could see individual stars moving across the sky (like in your example) but then they smeared to rings. How would the work-flow for such a result look like?

Maybe by merging frames, 1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 1-5, 1-6, 1-7 etc.

Pyrofer

I quite like this, I was planning something similar but wanted to get more scenery in.

The issue is how long each exposure is. If you want the stars to look good with no trails you need a good fast lens.

can you share the settings you used? iso/shutter/f etc?

MichalLeder

Quote from: Fireman77 on August 19, 2012, 08:51:19 PM
The first of many attempts,

Hi, this is OK. Tell me what shutter speed was used? I guess no longer than 2-8 sec. In case of moderate wide angle (18mm) you can easily use 30sec to get more light and stars will not be blurred much and you will get much more details and stars. It is also good to move more far from city lights.

--
Best regards
Michal

Fireman77

Thanks for your opinions, it was hard, after many attempts, as the light was constant, no flicker problems, with many stars i just take photos for two hours, every 1 or 2 interval seconds, (ML) and then Lightroom 4.1, but using the LRTimelapse pro presets, very good, because the default ones in the LR has some quality issues.

With my canon 60D crop factor camera, I used the 600 rule, 24mm *1.6/600= 15.6 shutter exposition, (approximate value in camera) for avoid star trails, (believe me, it works)  I used my Tamron 17-55mm, with VC off and manual focus (obvious), focusing to infinity,  2.8 lens aperture, iso 400 and 3200k WB and some post processed work, especially for correct the wb and noise and other things, is up to you,  i´m still practicing. I´m doing a storm passing clouds right now and a sunrise, but i´m kinda worried about my shutter part life, I read that only have 150k shoots,  =( I'm definitely going to still trying TL´s, I'm obsessed with this.

Please correct me if i´m wrong.

Cheers!
Canon EF 50 mm F/1.4

Pyrofer

Thanks for all that.

I just got a f2.8 28mm lens I am looking forward to trying.
I was going to use ISO 800 maybe 1600 and 20 seconds.

For time lapse I have been using Movie mode and the fps override. Its much kinder on your shutter!

For the night sky shots though I am doing single long exposure and not time lapse yet. Will see if I can get something good with movie mode and stars.

albert-e

Quote from: Fireman77 on August 22, 2012, 05:51:35 AM
Thanks for your opinions, it was hard, after many attempts, as the light was constant, no flicker problems, with many stars i just take photos for two hours, every 1 or 2 interval seconds, (ML) and then Lightroom 4.1, but using the LRTimelapse pro presets, very good, because the default ones in the LR has some quality issues.

With my canon 60D crop factor camera, I used the 600 rule, 24mm *1.6/600= 15.6 shutter exposition, (approximate value in camera) for avoid star trails, (believe me, it works)  I used my Tamron 17-55mm, with VC off and manual focus (obvious), focusing to infinity,  2.8 lens aperture, iso 400 and 3200k WB and some post processed work, especially for correct the wb and noise and other things, is up to you,  i´m still practicing. I´m doing a storm passing clouds right now and a sunrise, but i´m kinda worried about my shutter part life, I read that only have 150k shoots,  =( I'm definitely going to still trying TL´s, I'm obsessed with this.

Please correct me if i´m wrong.

Cheers!

Don't you want to use FPS override? I saw some videos who uses this technique in ML v2.3 and lower.

nanomad

You should definitely try FPS override if you don't mind the lower resolution
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Fireman77

Quote from: nanomad on August 22, 2012, 07:15:09 PM
You should definitely try FPS override if you don't mind the lower resolution

Lower res?  low quality video? i dont get it.
Canon EF 50 mm F/1.4

laqos

You will record a video (limit is 1080p), when you would take pictures, kill your shutter, the number of megapixels is the limit.

Fireman77

Can you please show me how can i use this ML feature?
Canon EF 50 mm F/1.4

3pointedit

But you can only open the shutter for 2.5-5 secs? Doubt that it is long enough for stars and will be a bit noisier too.
550D on ML-roids

a1ex

If it's full moon, it may work.

At the end of this timelapse I've used 15 seconds at ISO 400, f4: http://vimeo.com/48861358