Memory card that can handle the higher bit rate video options?

Started by RMAlpine, August 18, 2012, 05:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RMAlpine

I am very interested in using the higher bit rate options such as the CBR mode between 1.6x to 3.0x and such, but my Class 10 24MB/s 16GB memory card cannot handle the footage as expected.

Would I be able to safely shoot 3.0x video (without audio) under non extreme conditions (ISO 80 - 160) possibly with a Class 10 95MB/s 32GB memory card such as this one?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LFT3QG/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Thanks for any help    :)

dariwz

ML 2.3: 600D/T3i; EF-S18-55mm II, EF 50mm f/1.8 II

weldroid

Look at tests, look for sustained write rate, that's what matters, not the "high_number*"

*: low number
;)
Weapon of choice:
600D, EF-S 18-55 ISII Premiere, Luminance HDR, Blender, Luxrender
http://www.vimeo.com/weldroid (http://soundcloud.com/weldroid)

vetec

Hi!

I personaly use SanDisk Extreme Pro SD 16GB, 95MB/s and Good Ram Pro class 10 (blue series, cheap and fast) cards. On both I can go maximum CBR (3x), without sound. My files have bitrate up to 94000 kbps. Its good for post work, as you have more data to play with. I never try to decode canons .mov files to prores or DNxHD, but I have seen results. So called "bending" is much better when you work in 10bit color space. So its good idea to use higher bitrates, if you want to get better results in post work.
Canon eos 60D, ML, Edius 6.x

DFM

It depends which NLE you're using, but converting to a mezzanine codec such as ProRes is not about the bit depth as much as the decompression complexity. Bit depth is important if you're passing edits out to masters but not on the ingestion pass.

If for example you drop 8-bit Canon DSLR H.264 footage into Premiere Pro, the color and keying effects are applied in 32-bit floating point irrespective of what the source footage bit depth is - but scrubbing H.264 is a massive load on your CPU compared to scrubbing ProRes or DNxHD. In Premiere there's no advantage in quality terms to transcode beforehand, but a huge improvement in responsiveness of the track controls.

Some other NLEs retain the source bit depth on the timeline, so coloring an 8-bit H.264 will only operate in 8-bit even if the effect supports more. In those cases transcoding can cheat the NLE into applying their effects at a higher depth, but you're still interpolating data points that aren't in the original file so it can't work as well as the 10-bit raw you get from some brands of camera.

Quote from: vetec on August 21, 2012, 04:40:51 PM
I never try to decode canons .mov files to prores or DNxHD, but I have seen results. So called "bending" is much better when you work in 10bit color space.

RMAlpine

JUST TO UPDATE EVERYONE:

I got the memory card I mentioned in the beginning of this post with the 95 MB/s speed and when recording at bit rates above CBR 1.4x with audio enabled, it still stops recording after maybe 5 seconds or so. But I can, however, record all the way up to CBR 3.0x WITHOUT AUDIO smoothly and without the card stopping at all.

So it definitely is a MAJOR improvement over my last card which was only a 24MB/s card.

In a "perfect world", audio would be recorded in its own external device not built in to the camera anyway, so for controlled situations such as interviews, landscape shots, and whatnot where you would have a lav mic into a recorder on the interviewee or just the device to pick up ambient noise.

P337

Quote from: RMAlpine on October 17, 2012, 04:28:35 AM
JUST TO UPDATE EVERYONE:

I got the memory card I mentioned in the beginning of this post with the 95 MB/s speed and when recording at bit rates above CBR 1.4x with audio enabled, it still stops recording after maybe 5 seconds or so. But I can, however, record all the way up to CBR 3.0x WITHOUT AUDIO smoothly and without the card stopping at all.

So it definitely is a MAJOR improvement over my last card which was only a 24MB/s card.

Unfortunately the Canon "SD Card" DSLRs can't record faster than 25MB/s (200 Mbps) and I think "CBR 3.0x" only goes up to about 18MB/s (150 Mbps) but you should benchmark that card using ML's benchmark tool, If you actually are getting higher speeds we'd love to know how, so we can do it too ;-D

Quote from: http://www.imaging-resource.com
The Canon Rebel T3i accepts SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards, and does not ship with a card. Canon recommends a Class 6 card or faster for recording HD movies. UHS-I compliant cards are supported, but the camera does not take advantage of their increased bus speeds.

...Note that the Canon 60D manual says "SDHC and SDXC cards featuring UHS (Ultra High Speed) enable a maximum writing speed of SD Speed Class 10". We asked Canon for clarification on this, and they said the Canon 60D is not UHS-I compliant but should work with UHS cards at up to SD Class 10 speeds.
and
Quote from: 1% on November 02, 2012, 03:58:03 PM
...on SD cameras the max is 25mbps per the controller.

P337

So I actually came here to ask...

Is there a draw back to using a UHS-1(95MB/s) SD card in an SD-CF Card Adapter over using an equal speed CF card?

The new "3rd generation" SD to CF Card Adapters claim to support UHS so I was wondering if that would actually get UHS-1(95MB/s) speeds in a UDMA 6(133MB/s) compliant DSLR.  Or are these "UHS supported" SD-CF adapters just able to read and write to UHS-1 SD Cards at standard Class 10 speeds like how Canon uses UHS-1 SD Cards? 

If anyone has this setup please report your ML card benchmark scores here.

1%

I'd say the latter. I had CF to IDE and it would run at like ATA33 or 66 so probably won't get full speed with the translation due to overhead, etc.

Shizuka

Quote from: 1% on November 03, 2012, 03:23:38 AM
I'd say the latter. I had CF to IDE and it would run at like ATA33 or 66 so probably won't get full speed with the translation due to overhead, etc.

CF to IDE is not really comparable, as a CF device is actually an IDE device; adapters between CF and IDE are purely electrical and don't have a controller on board. Conversely, a CF/SD adapter will have the controller on the adapter.

That said, I'm very doubtful any CF/SD adapter has a controller capable of UHS speeds. There's a reason UHS cards are expensive.

P337

Hmm, these '4th' generation adapters certainly imply UHS-1 speeds:
http://www.memorypack.com.tw/image/Memory%20card%20reader%20adaptor/sd%20to%20cf/sdcfa_c04/sdcfa_c04%20specifications.pdf

Though I can't help to notice their terminology when describing card support ("supports" vs "accepts"):
2.1 Features
 SD interface supports SD spec 2.00 / 1.01; supports high speed(Class 10)
and normal speed(Class 2/4/6) SDXC, SDHC, and SD.
 SD interface is compatible with SD spec 3.01; accepts UHS-1 speed SDXC
and SDHC.

That said to me; "It's just like Canon, it'll read and write UHS-1 cards but at Class 10 speeds", then I noticed it also stated it "supports" UHS-1:
Supporting Cards
SDXC   All Capacities, Class 2/4/6/10/UHS-1
SDHC   All Capacities, Class 2/4/6/10/UHS-1
SD   All Capacities, Class 2/4/6/10

This is all probably just wishful thinking lol but if Generation 3 added support for UHS-1 cards at C10 speeds then I assume generation 4 has enabled UHS-1 speeds otherwise why have it?! ...WiFi?! ...wait it probably is iSDIO, damn...

Either way I've been using their 2nd generation adapter and have no issues getting 92Mbps average/96Mbps peaks at CBR 2.1x with a Class 10 card.  I get 12.8MB/s(102.4 Mbps) with Magic Lantern's Benchmark tests and 11MB/s(88Mbps) over a USB 2.0 reader so it seems to be accurate. 

Mikkel

I have to buy a new card for my 600D, my old (cheap) Transcend SDHC class10 16G card have some major problems with ML (i wrote a post in "Bug Reports" about it). So should i go for the "SanDisk Extreme Pro 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 95MB/s" or is there a cheaper (but stabel) alternative? (yes a high bitrate for movieshot would be nice)
Mikkel 
Canon 600D, HV20, Leica D-lux 3, CZJ Biotar 7,5cm/1,5 T, CZJ Triotar 13,5cm/4,0 T, CZJ Flektogon 35/2,4 MC, SMC Pentax-A 50/1,7, Pentacon 135/2,8 , Tamron xr di II 17-50/2,8 , Miller tripod, and Mac

scrax

Quote from: Mikkel on January 22, 2013, 03:46:57 PM
I have to buy a new card for my 600D, my old (cheap) Transcend SDHC class10 16G card have some major problems with ML (i wrote a post in "Bug Reports" about it). So should i go for the "SanDisk Extreme Pro 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 95MB/s" or is there a cheaper (but stabel) alternative? (yes a high bitrate for movieshot would be nice)
Mikkel
I think that 600D can't go to that speed, but there are people more experienced than me here that could give some hint.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

1%

you're not going to crack 20MB/s on the old interface. but if you get a card with 15-20 sustained write it will write at that speed most of the time. some cards lie and say 90MB/s but that is just burst speed or read speed they are pimping.

patriot pro card is cheaper and did like 30MB sustained in the benchmark test (on uhs camera). i know there is a db of cards somewhere, maybe mL should make one too so that people can see what cards to really buy. we have the benchmark test already.

Mikkel

Quote from: 1% on January 22, 2013, 03:57:56 PM
maybe mL should make one too so that people can see what cards to really buy. we have the benchmark test already.
Besides the batt. it's the most important accessories (i think), so that would be an great ide.
From my (limited) expirence there is often a huge difference in performance (on cheaper card, don't now about the really expensive), even if the spec say the same, so i think you right, there is spec, and there is real live speed. I will check  out the Patriot Pro card you mentioned. Thanks for the reply
Mikkel
Canon 600D, HV20, Leica D-lux 3, CZJ Biotar 7,5cm/1,5 T, CZJ Triotar 13,5cm/4,0 T, CZJ Flektogon 35/2,4 MC, SMC Pentax-A 50/1,7, Pentacon 135/2,8 , Tamron xr di II 17-50/2,8 , Miller tripod, and Mac

1%

also look at ep, they are 35MB vs 50 but its a non issue since you won't get that on a non uhs.

Mikkel

"32GB Patriot EP PRO SDHC C10 UHS-I" and
"SanDisk Extreme Pro 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 95MB/s"
is the same price -52GBP eq 82,5$ (on Amazon.uk, they won't sell it from US (to EU -I live in Denmark (and if i buy it from outside EU, i will be charged 25% extra tax)
Then there is "Sandisk 32GB 45MB/S SD Extreme" it is 24GBP eq 38$ - but it is "up to 45MB/s" so the question is, can it exploit the full speed from the 600D? -

roterrion

DIGIC 5 (650D) fully supports UHS-I SD cards, well according to wiki. it's a faster processor, but i don't think it really 'fully' exploits it.

anybody ever tested a Lexar 600x SDHC? which one do you guys think better Lexar 600x (up to 90MB/s) or SanDisk Extreme Pro (95MB/s). despite of 5MB/s difference, do you think it matters?
EOS 650D, Sigma 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 HSM, Canon 40mm f2.8 STM, 50mm II f1.8, Transcend 16GB Class 10, Transcend 32GB UHS-I 300x
http://youtube.com/roterrion
http://vimeo.com/roterrion

1%

600D - Max write is like 27MB/s.. any card that can sustain over that should work.

DigicV only supports lower class UHS-I... all those 90Mbyte/s cards aren't going to do you any good. Get the 45/35/50 sustained cards.

Some cards are tuned for the higher speed only. Sandisk "pro" under-performs at the lower UHS speeds.

On top of that the cameras don't seem to be able to go much over 200 megabits, they stop anyway like all those frames can't fit in the buffer.

Someone with 5d3 should test if fixing the flush rate to "write it out now" lets it go any higher.

Maybe we need to do a database of speed tests.