Intervalometer Intervals....

Started by mSpider, August 17, 2012, 02:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mSpider

Hi guys!
Just got back from my annual Perseid Meteor Shower phot trip--this time I used Magic Lantern!
To shoot the Meteor storm, I used the Intervalometr feature.
With My Tokina 11-16, I determined that the best shutter speed was 25 seconds--this is because the stars turn into streaks at shutter speeds above this.
The PROBLEM is that ML Intervalometer only goes in 5 second increments after 20s.
This means that for my 25s Tv, I need to set a Interval of 30s.
This causes GAPS to appear in my star trails--ideally I would like to set the interval for 26 or 27 seconds, depending how much time the casmera needs to process the pictures.
May not sound like much, but it is vital.
Any way to do this?
Or should I submit a feature request?

Francis

You could set it to 'Take pics like crazy' which is just continuous shooting.

mSpider

Malcolm Debono

'Take pics like crazy' does just that - it takes one photo after the other without any pause in between.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

mSpider

If the time the camera takes to process varies, then my timelapse wont be smooth....

Francis

You can download the source and compile it for yourself to add intermediate intervals. It is simply a matter of adding in the interval you want to ./src/shoot.c line 168.

I can appreciate not having all those intermediate values in there to have to scroll through to get to larger intervals.

mSpider

I wouldn't know how to do what you are asking of me.
Such intervals are VITAL for star stacking and Astrophotography.
I don't thin the time saved by not having one second increments is significant....if you want to do an interval that long, you can take the time to set it up right...
I suppose if I am the only person interested in Astrophotography intervals, then I wouldn't be opposed to customizing ML for myself...but like I said, I have no idea how I would go about doing that.

Francis

It took me a bit to stumble through setting up the compiler myself when I was interested in altering the code.

It's a little out of date maybe but here is a good start. Instructions on how to compile the code are very dependent on the OS you are running.

Francis

I went ahead and compiled you a binary with those intervals included (26,27,28,29).

Download here

Just copy that file unto the card replacing the autoexec.bin that is already there and you should be good to go.

mSpider

Thank you !  Thank you very much!
I will have to learn how to do that  compiling thing as well....