Aperture. How do I adjust in video mode on 550d?

Started by deslog, August 16, 2012, 04:20:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deslog

Hi there

How do I adjust the aperture in video mode on 550d?

Led

It should adjust by turning the wheel up by the shutter knob while holding the 'Q' button.
You can also push the Q button once then use the arrow buttons to select any of the settings on the display, then adjust them with the wheel.
If you can't see the settings on the display, pushing the 'display' button next to the menu will bring them up.

deslog

When I push the Q button it goes back to the canon display so I cant then use the arrow keys to select adjustable settings.
When I press the Av button I can adjust the shutter speed( by the way why does it have A in front of the speed?)

Led

Hi, sorry, just got home and checked my camera, didn't have it when I posted before - On mine you hold in the AV button, not the Q button, and turn the wheel to change aperture. If you just change the wheel without holding any buttons in mine changes shutter speed.
I don't know why yours has an A in front of it... do you mean on the display there is an 'A' in front of the shutter speed number?
Basic question, but you are in movie mode, not photo mode with live view on the screen, as in the dial on top of the camera turned all the way clockwise? Also , in the canon menu, you have 'movie exposure' set to manual?

deslog

Thank you. You solved my problem.

The 'A' is in front of the ISO(why is it A?)
I checked and discovered i was in auto exposure in movie mode. This obviously changed when I reset all my settings.

I also notice in the picture tutorials that the cat has yellow dots for focus rather than my red dots. Is this because of the new upgrade?

Thanks for your help.

deslog

Led