Lag in Waking Up SLR from Sleep Mode

Started by DiWizard, August 14, 2012, 11:13:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiWizard

Hi,

First of all thanks a lot for this amazing firmware, you surely have unleashed the hidden dragon :-) ........
I have only one little problem. When my Canon 5D MKII turns off by itself after 2mins and then pressing the trigger to wake it up again its a while to do so and since I work in photo journalism it's very critical for me as it can mean loosing the moment. Are there any work arounds about it ?

nanomad

My 1100D does that too on canon's firmware. I suspect that after 2mins the camera goes to "full  shutdown" and has to do a cold start
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Malcolm Debono

According to some older posts on Flickr, the camera's auto power-off is equivalent to turning off the camera using the physical switch. In fact, some just set the auto power-off feature and don't bother using the physical switch.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

g3gg0

the conclusion:
you are using "unified" version which includes binaries for all compatible camera bodies.
when starting the camera, this binary is loaded (1.7MiB) and this takes little longer (0.5 - 1 sec maybe)

one solution would be: use a version special compiled for 5DII only.
then it will take less time to boot.
-> compile from source, or someone uploads the binary
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

topbanana

I too have this lag after installing 2.3... Didn't have it on the previous release.
And have missed quite a few shots since installing, so i hope there is a workaround/fix.

nanomad

Have you ever tried an older release of ML?

Btw, this happens with a custom autexec.bin too since canon firmware has to be initialized fully before ML can take control and re-start
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

a1ex

If your card is fragmented, it might load a bit slower, so format it.

Francis

Even with a binary specially compiled for the 5d2, it boots much slower than than the 550d with a non-specific binary. It is just a slow booter it seems.