Author Topic: Another approach for ML tutorials and help files?  (Read 5056 times)

kichetof

• Senior
  • Take a beer and enjoy it!
Re: Another approach for ML tutorials and help files?
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2017, 07:14:17 PM »
Can you add links to the bold headings?

Hm, maybe I didn't understand what you mean on your last post. Do you want a global/menu page including all headings with links to specific explanations ?

I guess it would be good to have the modules also listed in the modules section.  I like how they are in their respective enabled menu, but could be confusing for some to not see modules in the module section.

Sure! I forgot to move modules sources to modules help folder! I'll update soon ... I remember why I didn't do it before. Modules add features to other menus (the modules menu offers no options other than activating/deactivating modules)

Audionut

• Global Moderator
  • Blunt and to the point
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2017, 05:46:43 AM »
Yeah I'd like to see all of the headers linkable.  Could then link to extended detail, tutorials, whatever.

I expect (some) people to look in modules for the modules.  Maybe just a list of the available modules in that menu, with links to the other menus where they are.

So I could look in modules, see dual_iso, and click the link that takes to the dual_iso help page.

kichetof

• Senior
  • Take a beer and enjoy it!
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2017, 06:33:09 PM »
Yeah we’re on the same way  8)
I would like to see a help structure like that! But... I don’t know if bitbucket allow navigate links like ../ (need to test)

So I could look in modules, see dual_iso, and click the link that takes to the dual_iso help page.

What about modules who add multiple features in more than one menu? Multiple links? For the moment I get the name of the function and the name of the menu, I could links to it but ... same thing: navigation links. Need some tests

Kokoe

• New to the forum
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2018, 05:26:14 PM »
And maybe some suggestions concerning layout, structure, contents ....
What do you think? Too much? Too complicated? Too little? Wrong approach? Sounds good, doesn't work ... forget that, please ...

I can help create a semi-commerical manual that can be downloaded as a PDF or made as a professional, instructional video (having written quite a few over the decades).
Two suggested ways toward a <near perfect> manual (nothing = perfect or we'd ever want perfection).

Of course, versions/types of ML built to camera type is the biggest issue. So we either make one book with all Canon types in it or we make different books with different types. (This I would suggest as option 1 then it matches consistency with the ML site).
I don't have every Canon out there. I currently have 2 so there would have t be group of people who can supply me with every screen from the back of their Camera. No problem on quality, I suggest that I make a 'generic' screen and photoshop in the differences (20 years on photoshop so am no newbie here).

Suggest two options to discuss where one would be better before designing/making a concise but near perfectly understandable manual (which I can create as an internationally understood PDF (all languages), in video (again, all languages) and/or printed (if people prefer a printed one that I could charge at cost plus postage).

1.   'Ikea' approach to remove necessity to have to remove need for multi-language versions.
2.   LiveView Screen Approach. I would prefer a 'near to' Jonathan DeNicholas Vimeo approach where each screen is shown leading to a successful and working model.

Very Important to add the build used in the manual as a link under the PDF or Video link. Would be a bit of a support disaster to offer a manual that bears no relation to instructions (my only criticism of the Jonathan DeNicholas Vimeo where the current experimental build does not work to the instructions given there. (if any of those very lucky people out there are running the 27th April crop/experimental build please send me this ML holy grail, thank you).

I would divide the 'book' into these sections:

Cover would show full camera (or icon with words (e.g.: 5D Mkiii) and camera back with LiveView screen showing sample page

Section 1   Before installing ML. Terms. Conditions. Warnings. etc.
Section 2   Installing ML
Section 3   Setting up ML
Section 4   Using ML
Section 5   Modules Links with notes / Technical 'about' section
Section 6   Web refs to every ML link worthy of following or keeping an eye on.

May even be nice to update with latest examples of filming created with links.

My dime's worth. Please be as critical as you like.

(Hit 'modify button) - oh and before I forget. Many manuals are written from memory, recent or old, and then put out. I prefer to TEST, TEST AND TEST AGAIN like I was a newbie to test to see if what has been written 'actually' works. In 99% manuals there are flaws. It isn't the user. Its the manual writer.
5D3 User. Lexar Card 2000x 300 MB/s. Komputabay  1000x 32GB. Fr: 1.2.3.

Walter Schulz

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2018, 06:41:49 PM »
I don't think we are on the same page here.
Main problem is how to maintain (long time support!) help files and tutorials for a project without timelines, schedules, milestones where menus/functions/workflows will change as devs are pushing cams abilities. And keep it open for participants to join in and drop out without killing the whole thing (see http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11269 ). And make transparent what is valid or outdated for users unfamiliar with our project structure.
Video tutorials are quite difficult to maintain in this respect. I would prefer to start with smaller steps.