5Dm3 10-bit aperture moving while shooting

Started by kaco, July 31, 2017, 01:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaco

Hi,

I've been using MLraw a long time for a weddings. Since january I started using 10bit 37fps instead of squeezed 48p. I found a little flickering in the image, but I though it is some kind of a problem with FPS override.

I found out that the aperture is slightly changing it's size while shooting. You can see the problem here, pay attention to how the aperture is floating all the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9LtBkscT_o&feature=youtu.be

Tested also with the latest build 2017-07-02 22:47 and the problem is still there.

Set-up:
5D mk3, FW 1.1.3.
Lens: Canon 35mm f/2 IS (IS turned off for this test)
FPS override: desired 37, optimize for Exact FPS, actual fps 37.001
I can see the problem on f/2.2, f/2.4, f/3.2, f/3.5, f/4.5, f/4.9, f/7.0, f/9.1...
The aperture is okay (fixed, not moving) when on f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6, f/6.4, f/8,...

Second problem: Sometimes I am not able to change aperture while shooting. In the bottom-left corner I see a sign "BUSY" and the aperture changing does not work. When I press "Q button", the "BUSY" sign will get away and everything starts working again. See the problem here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pfjBWwPgZI&feature=youtu.be

a1ex

As I'm unable to reproduce it, and it sounds like a pretty unusual bug, you'll have to narrow it down:

- does it happen without FPS override?
- does it happen with other lenses?
- does it happen with a manual lens? (if yes, it's not aperture flicker)
- does it happen when recording H.264?
- does it matter whether you use mlv_rec or mlv_lite?
- does it help if you disable small hacks?
- did you use exposure override in ML?

kaco

Quote from: a1ex on July 31, 2017, 02:29:20 PM
As I'm unable to reproduce it, and it sounds like a pretty unusual bug, you'll have to narrow it down:

Hi,

tested with another 5D with same results. Also I have two 35mm F/2 IS both "breathing". It is not related to the IS -- it breathes even when IS switch on the lens is OFF.

I've tested few more:
- Canon 85mm f/1.8 -- no breating
- Canon 100mm f/2.8 IS -- BREATING
- Canon 24mm f/1.4 II -- no breating
- Canon 70-200 f/4 IS -- no breathing
- Tamron 45 mm f/1.8 VC -- no breathing

First I thought it's the IS lenses doing it. But 70-200 IS is not breathing. Also Tamron has it's vibrance compensation and works fine.

No flickering/breathing with manual lens.

I can see the aperture moving in live-view, does not need to start recording. If I take ML card out, there is no aperture moving. I have disabled all modules, restarted, but the aperture is moving. So probably problem of some core ML features?

No

Yes. Turning it off actually solved the problem. :D

kaco

Actually I found the problem with the Expo Override ON. So for me, the solution was found. If the aperture should do this when ON, you can delete this thread and accept my apologise.