MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

Good to know, thanks again for trying out!

On OSX the problem is: the AppImage is build first (what installs ffmpeg to its place), then the QMAKE_PRE_LINK / QMAKE_POST_LINK is executed (what unzips the ffmpeg binary). Unfortunately there is no way (at least I didn't found one) to execute a command before the image is build (this could automatically unzip ffmpeg). Copying ffmpeg manually in the image via command in the end of the procedure is difficult, because I did not find a variable for the image location. :(

EDIT: jippi jeah! I got it! On OSX ffmpeg must not be unzipped manually anymore before compiling! All runs automatically when compiling now!!! :D
@Danne: your script should be easier now!
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

That is great news masc. Just rearranged the compiler but will check into and refine further. Also got some dualiso files to test out. And a bunch of more stuff 8)...

Kharak

Just installed the App on a Win 10 machine to check out some footage.

I noticed that the Value (numbers) of the sliders are outside the window, so I cant see them. Like Dark Strenght, Saturation, tint etc.. I only see parts of the Temperature Value, because its a 4 decimal number, so I see 58... (5800).

It does not matter if the MLV App Window is Minimized or Maximized, the values stay outside the visible "window border".
V 0.16 64 bit

Edit: The native Resolution of this laptop is 1920x1080
once you go raw you never go back

masc

@Kharak: you're the next windows victim, I guess. Bouncyball wrote how to solve that.

Quote from: bouncyball on May 31, 2018, 06:07:04 PM
If you are on Windows 10 there is no need to change font size or resolution.

Right click on MLVApp.exe, choose Properties/Compatibility

Check "Override high DPI scaling behavior" and select "System (Enhanced)" in "Scaling performed by:"

Run your app and use it happily :)

Regards
bb
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Kharak

Quote from: masc on June 04, 2018, 07:37:01 PM
@Kharak: you're the next windows victim, I guess. Bouncyball wrote how to solve that.

Thanks,

Luckily I work with Win 8.1

masc

Quote from: Kharak on June 04, 2018, 08:04:36 PM
Thanks,

Luckily I work with Win 8.1
Win 8.1 has the same problem when enabling system scaling (to e.g. 150%).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

fortymileswest

What a great little app, so useful.
Would love to see the ability to trim and crop clips in future.
Thanks for sharing

andy kh

5D Mark III - 70D

Kharak

Quote from: masc on June 04, 2018, 08:25:05 PM
Win 8.1 has the same problem when enabling system scaling (to e.g. 150%).

Is the scaling issue introduced in v0.16? Cause i have v0.15 on my machine and never had issues with the scaling.

masc

Quote from: Kharak on June 05, 2018, 07:54:28 PM
Is the scaling issue introduced in v0.16? Cause i have v0.15 on my machine and never had issues with the scaling.
I think this issue exists since the very first version, because this is more a Windows issue than a MLVApp issue.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Kharak

Perhaps its the Shell Exstension on win 8.1 reverting the scaling to win 95 style ;)

Texts on my machine have always been ugly. Now i know why.

Seruji

Question MLV APP: ¿Should I sharp (sharpen option in details section) the image before or after the image is converted into video?

masc

@Seruji: It is impossible to answer in general. That depends on the camera, the lens, the settings,... , your workflow,...
Try it out and see what works best for you. I mostly use it for single frame export (photo) or to rescue clips where the focus doesn't fit 100%. If your clip is very sharp you may (not will) get very ugly moiree when sharpening...
So try it out ;)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Seruji

What I'm basically doing for my 5D mk2 (Canon Firmware Version: 2.1.2 Latest Build: 2018-04-30) is:

1- Import .MLV using MLV APP
2- Use Alexa-LogC
3- Export in AppleProRes 444
4- Import video in Premiere.
5- LUT => Alexa_Default_LogC2Rec709
6- Normal Color Correction.

The results are great, but I was wondering if this is or not a recommended setup, or there is something else better than that. ???

Teamsleepkid

probably be better to color the raw files and not go through the whole log to rec 709 process you'll lose all the raw info
EOS M

masc

Today I got some standard clips from a 7D. MLVApp is not able to reconstruct the highlights for all these 7D clips. Did anyone else had such problems with your 7D footage (or maybe also other cams)? Please report! ;)
I found a temp solution (which is not really nice but working) and I would like to test a bit around before releasing a bugfix...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

theBilalFakhouri

@masc

Yes highlights reconstruction doesn't work for all clips --> But in other clips it's working very well ,, not sure what is happening and what is the difference between the clips that bring this problem (white level?) .

I am on 700D.

masc

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on June 13, 2018, 06:33:59 PM
Yes highlights reconstruction doesn't work for all clips --> But in other clips it's working very well ,, not sure what is happening and what is the difference between the clips that bring this problem (white level?) .

I am on 700D.
Could you please upload a short clip where it doesn't work? You only have 700D clips with this problem? I really like to figure that out!
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

theBilalFakhouri

@masc

Of course here is the footage was shot in 12-bit lossless:
Highlights_Reconstruction.MLV

I am only have 700D and all the clips I am talking about was shot in 700D  :D

masc

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on June 13, 2018, 09:20:50 PM
@masc

Of course here is the footage was shot in 12-bit lossless:
Highlights_Reconstruction.MLV

I am only have 700D and all the clips I am talking about was shot in 700D  :D
Thank you so much! This is really extreme! In this file the upper 1/4 of the green channel needs to be reconstructed in order to get a clean sky. OMG! @Ilia: we need your help!
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

masc

This is how it looks in pictures:
Uncorrected:

Corrected (with some code changes):

Look how fat the green bar (sky) is in the waveform scope. In past we just tried to correct one single green value (would be a thin line in waveform scope). So I changed the code to correct a bigger range - just to test. But this works not always (e.g. green trees would become brown). So we need to think about what to do... and here we need ideas. I started a discussion thread on github for that as well. If someone has a good idea... please let us now!
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

a1ex

Black Level                     : 2047
White Level                     : 5586
ISO                             : 100

Block: VERS
  String: 'MLV App version 0.16 alpha'

The white level value is unusual for this camera model; at 12-bit ISO 100, I'd expect 4886 in the original MLV (raw.c, get_default_white_level). This value gets rid of the pink cast in ufraw (and hopefully in all other apps that interpret the white level properly).

theBilalFakhouri

@a1ex

Yes this is because I shot the footage before your commit for 700D 10/12-bit lossless at ISO 100.

Should I run white level tests for other ISO values to avoid pink highlights for 700D ?