MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

masc

Quote from: Markus on March 03, 2018, 08:07:08 AM
So you can use this app now for DF averaging and put out new cdng files on Win (or maybe soon)?
If that's so I have to try this out!
Yes, you can create averaged darkframes with MLV App. You can also subtract them from your clips and export a subtracted corrected clip or a darkframe to cdng.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on March 02, 2018, 08:58:50 PM
I woud love to see a 2X resize preset. ( 200% )
So I can easy export and upscaled to 4k

@masc

Looks like there is a request for aspect ratio locking check box in export settings dialog ;)

Danne

Markus

Thanks for reply Danne & masc!

@Danne: Switch seems awsome but still on Windows here though :-).

Danne

Best bet is Mlv app. I created a script for windows which also automates df subtraction. @Kharak seems to like it but it's very basic. It's called batch_mlv.

Markus

masc

Quote from: bouncyball on March 03, 2018, 02:59:05 PM
Looks like there is a request for aspect ratio locking check box in export settings dialog ;)
Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on March 02, 2018, 08:58:50 PM
I woud love to see a 2X resize preset. ( 200% )
So I can easy export and upscaled to 4k
I did it a bit different - as bouncyball proposed. Exactly 2x is useful mostly only for 5D3. Now you can enter the width you like and MLV-App will calculate the height automatically for every clip in the batch in dependency to aspect ratio settings and clip size, if lock button is pressed.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Lars Steenhoff

Nice !

I have some suggestion for the icons, to make them more modern.
I used the font awesome icons to replace the header bar icons, see the screenshot.

https://fontawesome.com

Kharak

Is it possible to set preferred frame rate when previewing ? I cant seem to find that option

Sometimes when playing 60 fps files, it reaches 30 fps or will vary between 20-30, would be nice if one could set a limit at 24 or what ever one prefers.
once you go raw you never go back

masc

Having monochrome icons is no good idea. Let me explain: we had that already for the player icons - they were black and the design was very close to what you suggested - the icons are nice - no question. They were visible very good on the systems theme (light grey), and also in the menus. Then we got the dark theme, and the black icons were invisible. But already before - for all users on mac or linux who are using a systems dark theme these icons were invisible.
Now, using white icons may look cool on the dark theme in the app - but in a standard OSX menu white icons become nearly invisible.
So the icons we have now - 75% I found after very long research, and the other 25% there was no icon in the net - so I build them myself. And I hope everybody can see it on each OS and each theme.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

Quote from: Kharak on March 04, 2018, 02:15:23 PM
Is it possible to set preferred frame rate when previewing ? I cant seem to find that option

Sometimes when playing 60 fps files, it reaches 30 fps or will vary between 20-30, would be nice if one could set a limit at 24 or what ever one prefers.

Yes you can set that up. Standard is the fps of your clip - depending on your clip and your computer it is possible to reach that or not. Then we have 2 playback modes
- one mode shows each frame: that means if you computer is too slow, playback will be slower than it should be
- and drop mode drops frames it can't handle over time: here playback is realtime, but maybe some frames are not shown

If you like to override the original framerate, you can setup that in the export settings dialog. Now the two modes above try to reach that framerate - again: depending on your computer.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

@Lars Steenhoff

What can I say, looks not bad at all, but Masc is a chief designer of QT App ;). We even decided not to have more themes for simplicity of maintenance.

bouncyball

Hey guys I think I probably have good news for @IDA_ML and others who have older PCs with older Core2 Duo CPU models where MLV App crashes during file import (I've been able to reproduce this behavior).

Download those fixed 2 windows builds (now they are running smoothly on my E6800 CPU):

MLV.App.v0.14.alpha.Win32.zip
MLV.App.v0.14.alpha.Win64.static.zip
Latest 64bit exe with some bugs fixed

Try and report back your findings.

regards
bb

Lars Steenhoff

Quote from: masc on March 04, 2018, 02:17:50 PM
Having monochrome icons is no good idea. Let me explain: we had that already for the player icons - they were black and the design was very close to what you suggested - the icons are nice - no question. They were visible very good on the systems theme (light grey), and also in the menus. Then we got the dark theme, and the black icons were invisible. But already before - for all users on mac or linux who are using a systems dark theme these icons were invisible.
Now, using white icons may look cool on the dark theme in the app - but in a standard OSX menu white icons become nearly invisible.
So the icons we have now - 75% I found after very long research, and the other 25% there was no icon in the net - so I build them myself. And I hope everybody can see it on each OS and each theme.

I have thought about what you encountered and I see a few possible variations:

1 use the coloured icons.
2 use  white icons when the theme is dark
3 invert the white icons when the theme is white ( they will be black )
4 use a grey color that works in both dark and light theme.

I'm happy to contribute to making this work. and at the same time understand it not the most important thing. and that to save complicating te project only one theme is used.
It just for me personally I prefer a clean icon. it can even be a coloured one.  so the good thing is that the project is open source and I was able to change the icons the way I want them and make a new build.
and like to share back to you what I did.

Kharak

Quote from: masc on March 04, 2018, 02:22:53 PM
Yes you can set that up. Standard is the fps of your clip - depending on your clip and your computer it is possible to reach that or not. Then we have 2 playback modes
- one mode shows each frame: that means if you computer is too slow, playback will be slower than it should be
- and drop mode drops frames it can't handle over time: here playback is realtime, but maybe some frames are not shown

If you like to override the original framerate, you can setup that in the export settings dialog. Now the two modes above try to reach that framerate - again: depending on your computer.

Just to be clear, the Framerate Override box in Export settings also affects the Preview within MLV App ?

bouncyball

Quote from: Kharak on March 04, 2018, 04:54:41 PM
Just to be clear, the Framerate Override box in Export settings also affects the Preview within MLV App ?
Yes. Exactly.

And yes it is a bit misleading. Would be nice to have FPS override per clip. We never discussed this before.

masc

Quote from: Kharak on March 04, 2018, 04:54:41 PM

Yes, that still comes from the time, where this dialog was the App-Preferences and Export-Settings were just a part of it. At this time we said, having just one framerate override for all clips is enough - but maybe this changed ;)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Kharak

masc

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on March 04, 2018, 04:44:43 PM
I have thought about what you encountered and I see a few possible variations:

1 use the coloured icons.
2 use  white icons when the theme is dark
It is okay for the app, but on OSX you won't see the icons in the menu if theme is light. For OSX dark it is okay.
3 invert the white icons when the theme is white ( they will be black )
Now it is okay in OSX light, but in the App you won't see them. Inverting means having more than one icon set in the app? Complexity will rise a lot for such a feature. And I did not search if I can read which theme is loaded in OSX.
4 use a grey color that works in both dark and light theme.
In principle yes, but OSX light is a light grey - so then we have also a bad contrast between icons and background :(
On Windows it will always look good with white icons, because the menu is inside the app and always black. But we always must think on all OS with all themes... and sometimes even this is not enough :D

I'm happy to contribute to making this work. and at the same time understand it not the most important thing. and that to save complicating te project only one theme is used.
It just for me personally I prefer a clean icon. it can even be a coloured one.  so the good thing is that the project is open source and I was able to change the icons the way I want them and make a new build.
and like to share back to you what I did.
Yes, thanks for sharing! So don't understand my wrong. Most of the features in MLVApp are good ideas from users - that is very important for us!
And yes - it is open source. So, if you don't like the design, you can change what you want for your personal version. If you like to play with that - all what is called darkstyle in the code has many parameters, which make the app look as it is. You can change all colours like you like them! ;)
darkstyle.h
darkstyleOSX.qss (on OSX)
darkstyle.qss (non OSX)
What I started one day (but I stopped because it was too much work for my taste) was another darkstyle with orange instead of blue... a bit Resolve like ;)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Bernie54

@bouncyball: Hi, I triend to download this new files for testing because I had excactly the same problem on a Core2 - however the link seems to be broken. Any idea?
Regards,
Bernie54

Quote from: bouncyball on March 04, 2018, 02:33:02 PM
Hey guys I think I probably have good news for @IDA_ML and others who have older PCs with older Core2 Duo CPU models where MLV App crashes during file import (I've been able to reproduce this behavior).

Download those fixed 2 windows builds (now they are running smoothly on my E6800 CPU):

MLV.App.v0.14.alpha.Win32.zip
MLV.App.v0.14.alpha.Win64.static.zip

Try and report back your findings.

regards
bb

bouncyball

Edit: Links above are working now.

Try this 64bit exe (some bugs fixed). Get ffmpeg from officially released v0.14 here.

IDA_ML

This is incredible news for me, Bouncyball!  Thank you so much!  I still cannot believe that MLVApp is finally working on my 11-year old laptop.  Please give me some time to test and I will report on my impressions later in this thread.