MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vstrglv

Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

bouncyball

@Danne

I think it is better to do it using new libmlv from Ilia. I guess raw2mlv uses it anyway.

Danne

Quote from: vstrglv on March 05, 2020, 01:07:39 PM
after selected input folder with *.raw files
Switch thread please.
I can´t recall if raw2dng version from bouncyball was fully implemented in linux version. If not I suggest you just find raw2dng and convert files with it. Good luck.

ilia3101

I'd love to have a tool for converting .RAW to MLV based on LibMLV. How is the .RAW format structured?

vstrglv

Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

vstrglv

bouncyball

cmh

Here's a version dating from last november
https://github.com/ilia3101/LibMLV/releases/tag/raw2mlv-0.1
Put the content of the zip in your MLVApp folder.

If you need a recent version you'll have to compile it from this source:
https://github.com/ilia3101/LibMLV

raw2mlv topic:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=24631.100

vstrglv

Quote from: cmh on March 07, 2020, 09:50:40 AM
I put content (raw2mlv.exe+libraw.dll) +vcruntime140_1.dll to MLVApp folder v.1.10. If i drop *.dng file to MLVApp.exe, MLVApp opens, but there is no *.dng file in it.

vstrglv

Quote from: cmh on March 07, 2020, 09:50:40 AM
I put content (raw2mlv.exe+libraw.dll) +vcruntime140_1.dll to MLVApp folder v.1.10. If i drop *.dng file to MLVApp.exe, MLVApp opens, but there is no *.dng file in it.
Sorry, do not know how to delete message.

masc

Quote from: vstrglv on March 07, 2020, 12:13:51 PM
Maybe MLVApp opens if you told Windows to do so. There is no file association between MLVApp and DNG (and probably will never be). raw2mlv is used as a plugin. So you must use the corresponding dialog in MLVApp to open your DNG.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

[email protected]

Hi Guys ... I'm seeking advice please - (from MLV App experts who've piped DNGs into DaVinci). Here's my procedure:
● I'm shooting 12bit lossless RAW on the Canon 70D with the 'CineStyle' profile for flat image
● The RAW files are imported into 'MLV App' then the export 'Codec' set to 'CinemaDNG Lossless' for outputting the DNGs
● The DNGs are then imported into DaVinci Resolve where I'm trying to do a LOG grade before outputting as Rec 709 (all new to me)

Given that the *Camera/CineStyle/MLVApp* combination is presumedly outputting a LOG image?, can anyone advise on the correct INPUT settings. ie: do I set Resolve's:
▪Color Space▪ to 'Rec.709'  or  'P3 D60'  or  'Blackmagic Design'   (the only 3 options)
▪Gamma▪ to 'Rec 709'  or  'sRGB'  (2 of the 'main' options)
Using a 'Color Checker' to balance shots also requires 'Source Gamma', 'Target Gamma' & 'Target Color Space' to be chosen, each with multiple options. MLV App's multiple settings of 'Tonemapping' and 'Processing Gamut', don't (I assume), come into the mix when exporting DNGs.

In any case, there's still many 'combinations of settings' overall and I've been chasing my tail for days researching and trying get the scenes to look right. I'm sure I'm missing the obvious - what is the receiving software *expecting* from MLV App's output? - And if anyone's sucessfully graded scenes in LOG using MLVapp > DR?, could you advise on settings? Thanking you.

Dmytro_ua

Quote from: [email protected] on March 07, 2020, 03:45:08 PM
● I'm shooting 12bit lossless RAW on the Canon 70D with the 'CineStyle' profile for flat image

If you shoot RAW - camera profiles doesn't affect the footage.
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

vstrglv

Quote from: masc on March 07, 2020, 12:44:35 PM
Maybe MLVApp opens if you told Windows to do so. There is no file association between MLVApp and DNG (and probably will never be). raw2mlv is used as a plugin. So you must use the corresponding dialog in MLVApp to open your DNG.
No way. It is possible to convert only separate *.dng file to separate *.mlv file (File\Transcode and Import)

masc

Quote from: vstrglv on March 07, 2020, 08:33:58 PM
No way. It is possible to convert only separate *.dng file to separate *.mlv file (File\Transcode and Import)
Correct. But not by doubleclicking a DNG, or dropping it onto the app.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

[email protected]

@ Dmytro_ua  "If you shoot RAW - camera profiles doesn't affect the footage".
Thanks - I followed up after your comment, finding that *any and all* changes to camera profiles alters only camera 'display' and sensor recorded data is unaffected (so only 'ISO' alters RAW recordings). So that means the 70D is outputting Rec709 in the *default* sRGB color space. ● No it isn't - my bad - see explanation by 'masc' below●. With *MLV App* making NO changes whatsoever (other than conversion to DNG), then DaVinci Resolve must be receiving Rec 709 sRGB. Is my logic correct?

masc

DNG/MLV is RAW. RAW is a set (width*height) of sensor A/D values. It is your task to process it into your wanted/needed color space. When exporting any other format you get the color space you setup.
As long you record RAW, your camera outputs A/D values (which have to be processed into a color space).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

[email protected]

Ahh - of course. So MLVApp spits out the DNG's (* RAW* digital values), and I instruct Resolve to process those values into my chosen color space like 'Rec709' or 'Blackmagic Design'. I see, yes I was incorrectly thinking I needed to *match* (in Resolve) mlvapp's 'output files', but I see now, they don't possess 'color space' at that stage. Thanks masc for the clarification. :)

PS: - Just found an article entitled "Good project settings for Resolve" here: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=17324.0 which goes into 'Color Space', - of particular interest is Post #7 by Andy600

vstrglv

Please explain an issue.
I have tried 4 different coders in MLVApp v.1.10:
1. ProRes 4444
2.ProRes 422HQ
3.DNxHD 10bit
4.H-264
Profile Preset - Rec.709
Exposure - 1.4
Temperature -4800
Tint -30
All another settings - default.
When these files are played in MPV all look very similar. Screen shorts look very similar in Adobe PS too.
Imported to Adobe Premiere Pro v.14.02 DNxHD 10bit and H-264 look very similar on timeline and very similar to MPV window, but ProRes 4444 and ProRes 422HQ are a little lighter in green channel. After exporting frames from APP to PS I can not see any difference between all 4 screen shorts from MPV and DNxHD 10bit and H-264 frames from APP. But ProRes 4444 and ProRes 422HQ frame shorts from APP are a little lighter in green channel too, like in APP timeline.
What's the matter?

Danne

What you see is one thing. When you start to grade exports you should notice info missing in weaker codecs.

vstrglv

The main issue for me is the difference of two screen images:
in  MLVApp and in MLVApp>Prores>APP.

Danne

MLVApp>Prores>APP?

Could you upload comparison images and ways to reproduce the uploaded example?
Prores export has its own complex output syntax in mlv app so maybe test different ffmpeg configurations to see if one could match even better if that is the case.