err 70, 5d mark ii

Started by johnwe, January 22, 2017, 11:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnwe

I am getting err 70 on my Canon 5d mark ii.

I was using one card that I thought might be the problem, swapped it for a brand new card (without ML on it) and I still get the issue.

I reformatted another card with ML on it and still have the issue.

At first I could shoot a few frames before erroring out and crashing the camera. Now I can't even shoot one frame.

Camera will not shoot a frame with no card in the camera.

I reinstalled the latest firmware. No help.

Is there a way to remove all signs of ML from the camera? Is there something, software wise, that has become corrupt? and how do I get rid of it?

Are there any other steps I should take?

What should I look for in the crash log file that will help me?

reddeercity

First In the upper left hand corner  there's a Tab called "Search" It's a magical thing ,
all you have to do is type in a few words like "Error 70"  and look what happens
I got 117 results , here's a examples of one of those results  How to Uninstall ML from 5D Mark II  ::)
That being said , We need more information
Nightly Build Date ? Cam Setting ? What where you doing before the Error 70 happen ?
Do you try the recommended action from eos_error_codes ?
Quote from: johnwe on January 22, 2017, 11:12:32 PM
I am getting err 70 on my Canon 5d mark ii.
Camera will not shoot a frame with no card in the camera.

That right , if no card is present how can the camera save the frame ? Or I'm I miss understanding you here?

Quote from: johnwe on January 22, 2017, 11:12:32 PM
Is there a way to remove all signs of ML from the camera?  how do I get rid of it?
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11205.msg108929#msg108929

johnwe

Thanks.

Yes I tried all the error 70 rec's from Canon.

I removed ML from the card after I had followed the steps to remove the boot flag.

Then I tried to turn on live view. It cause the camera to crash. I think I tried a couple of times. Removing battery in between. Guess what, that allowed me to shoot some frames.

Now I am able to shoot single frames, but if I shoot too many in a row the camera freezes.

Recently I downloaded the Canon tools software and installed on my mac. I was able to use it to remotely shoot photos, but i did not have a live view screen on my mac. I have not done this for a long time, but I thought you used to be able to see an image feed from the camera if it was in live view mode.

So maybe there's a hardware failure related to live view and image preview of still shots. It seems like it can't buffer the images or something, write them to the card fast enough.

Current card is a SanDisk extreme. had it for years.

Prior to that I was using a brand new card Komputerbay...

Thoughts?

Is this likely a hardware issue?

johnwe

Yes if no card is present it can't save the frame, but normally the shot would appear for a few seconds on the lcd. I get nothing.

a1ex

Crash logs?

FYI, ERR70 covers more than 1000 error conditions triggered from the ARM CPU. ERR80 covers errors sent from the MPU.

So, without seeing the log, any suggestions on how to fix are useless at best. In particular, if you uninstall ML by removing the boot flag, and then, for some reason, you cannot reinstall it, we will no longer be able to execute code on the camera for diagnosing or fixing it...

johnwe

Sorry I don't have the logs. They got cleared with all the card reformatting.

Should I try reinstalling ML so that I can cause the crash again and get the log file?

johnwe

I just reinstalled ML.

At this point it seems I can, most of the time, shoot one frame and then the camera freezes. It says busy on the top near the shot count area. The red light next to the rear dial stays on once I shoot a frame.

I get this sort of image now, I was getting this sort of image at times. Now it seems to be every shot that successfully saves any image.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2q3vcvcl69xwfz8/error.jpg?dl=0

I get an error on the back screen when restarting saying camera was not shut down cleanly.

Walter Schulz

Try another card and report back.

johnwe

Same results with another card.

johnwe

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sjmk3ingav22n3h/IMG_8690.JPG?dl=0

This is the result after shooting one frame, the image cannot be saved to the card. I get this result after shutting the camera off (vs removing the battery).

The circular blue area in the photo attached is animating. Notice that the red light is on on the rear dial.

johnwe

I sent the camera to Canon, they said it needed a new PCB.

I am curious to hear if this could have anything to do with ML?

I looked at the pins to see if any were bent or missing. They all look good. I could be wrong about that.

Should I avoid ML on this camera now? I'm getting it repaired.

Boscom

I had a 'broken' pin on the 5d2 and they can be quite difficult to spot without taking the camera apart. In my case it just slipped down into the connector by a small amount. The camera kept telling me there was no card inserted. With all the ML Raw footage I was shooting I probably got a bit clumsy putting the card back in. My own fault.

SpcCb

Quote from: johnwe on January 31, 2017, 02:49:45 AM
I sent the camera to Canon, they said it needed a new PCB.

I am curious to hear if this could have anything to do with ML?

I looked at the pins to see if any were bent or missing. They all look good. I could be wrong about that.

Should I avoid ML on this camera now? I'm getting it repaired.

In some cases (unexpected software loops?), main board can reach high temperature especially if you don't quickly remove batteries. So maybe it's possible to fry the main board.
I ever saw that, the camera body become very hot and the LCD stay with remanences of last stuff on screen. It's freaky.
But it's very very rare (never saw?) by using public builds, it's more when you try very new 'unstable' functions, advanced hacking tools or maybe if you don't respect some process. Since more than 5 years I'm using ML on cameras I never fry something or had physical damage on cameras.
So, do you avoid ML on your camera now... It's your choice, if you are not comfortable with this idea, maybe you should. There's no zero risk.

a1ex

Quote from: SpcCb on January 31, 2017, 11:41:12 PM
In some cases (unexpected software loops?), main board can reach high temperature especially if you don't quickly remove batteries. So maybe it's possible to fry the main board.

I dare you to try doing this on purpose ;)

Remanence on LCD happens when the display device is not shut down cleanly, but has no relationship with temperature. Easy to reproduce with the portable display test (which, btw, keeps the CPU in a tight loop all the time).

SpcCb

He hehe! :D Trust me, it was not on purpose. I still shaking to think of it. ISO research and other ADTG stuff made me crazy sometimes when I thought I was doing that on a €2k+ production camera ^.^' But I'm cured now. *v*'

Thanks for the LCD remanence explanation, I did not know what was the cause, just it was after ugly loops freeze and forced-shutdown. BTW, it not sounds anodyne.