Few basic questions b4 installing Magic lantern!!

Started by yanki, November 04, 2016, 11:09:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yanki

Hi all,

i want to know 2 very  basic queries before i install magic lantern on my 5d mark 3.

1. i will be recording my footage on cf card and keeping the magic lantern on SD card. Now, do i have to keep magic 
    lantern on CF card also to record the footage on CF card or will keeping ML on SD card only will do the job?

2. After installing ML, will i be able to use canon menus/command e.g will i have to change the iso and f-stops from ML
    menu or i can change them from the canon specified buttons of iso and wheel for f-stops?

and finally, how reliable is focus peaking? i have 50mm f1.8, is it possible to keep the subject in focus by taking the reference from ML focus peaking @ f1.8?

i would be very happy if you could answer this simple questions

regards,

chris_overseas

• It will work fine to have ML on the SD card while recording photos and/or video to CF, in fact I personally think that's the best setup for the 5D3 (i.e. have a small SD card purely for ML and save all images/video to the much faster CF card).
  • You still have all the Canon menus and functionality available as normal.
  • Should be fine, but you probably need to try for yourself. I barely use video or focus peaking myself but haven't seen any problems with it personally.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

yanki

thanks chris for the prompt and positive reply!!....i think i will now proceed to install ML.

yanki

is magic lantern reliable/stable for professional/paid projects?

Though i would not be shooting raw, i intend to shoot in HD h264 format only.

i just want to use 2 features of ML and those are focus peaking (for shift focus shots and not magnifying every time to focus) and 3x crop which will increase the reach of my 24-105 mm f4 lens.

inputs will be appreciated!!

regards,

chris_overseas

ML doesn't come with any warranty or support, so using it for professional purposes is entirely at your own risk. There are many people using it very successfully for paid work, but there have been others who have hit problems with eg corrupted RAW video due to bugs in ML, or have run in to trouble because they didn't fully understand the behaviour of some of the settings. My advice is to try it for yourself, get thoroughly familiar with the relevant features and wait until you're comfortable with how ML fits in to your workflow before considering using it commercially.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

yanki

as i said, i don't intend to use it for RAW shooting but only for HD shootings. most of the issues i surfed were related to RAW. i am hoping that using ML for HD won't be as troublesome as using it for RAW.

dfort

Quote from: yanki on November 04, 2016, 04:42:20 PM
Though i would not be shooting raw, i intend to shoot in HD h264 format only.

Ok--I was going to say that focus peaking while recording raw video isn't recommended. Or maybe it isn't even possible? In any case that was the first ML feature that I used while shooting a documentary project and it was certainly reliable/stable. At least I didn't run into any problems when shooting H.264. That said, you must be aware that there's no guarantee if something goes wrong.

5D3's are used in professional movie production but generally using an external recorder through the HDMI port. Note that you can get a recorder/monitor/viewfinder with focus peaking. So that's an alternative if you don't feel comfortable doing a job on ML.

You might find the 3x crop on the 5D3 challenging at first. There is a new crop_rec module that is an improvement but it is still in the experimental stages. Stick with the versions posted on the download area to get started.

yanki

Quote from: dfort on November 04, 2016, 05:41:02 PM

You might find the 3x crop on the 5D3 challenging at first.

can you pls tell me how 3x crop is challenging to use? doesn't it just increase the reach of the lens by 3x? is there anything more complex than just switching to 3x crop?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: dfort on November 04, 2016, 05:41:02 PM
5D3's are used in professional movie production
but do not forget to take a day off on April Fools Day ...

dfort

Quote from: Walter Schulz on November 04, 2016, 05:54:07 PM
but do not forget to take a day off on April Fools Day ...

Some people forget that this is a hobby project done by camera enthusiasts on their spare time.  :P