New "Ginger HDR" workflow

Started by KarateBrot, July 30, 2012, 12:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KarateBrot

The guys at 19Lights programmed a new cool method for dealing with real 32-bit HDR footage in After Effects and Premiere. It's a nice idea in my opinion because you don't need to render out .exr sequences anymore if you don't want to.
If you donate a RED EPIC to me you officially are very cool ;)

screamer

agree,
a good improvement on an already really interesting software
always trying to use the 100% of magic lantern..
Gear:
Canon 60D, all the samyang lenses, Canon 50 mm 1.4, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 70-300 usm, Sigma 4.5mm fisheye, Sigma 17-70 2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, all the Lensbabies and a lot of other pieces, Flash metz 58 af2

babarasghar

Quote from: KarateBrot on July 30, 2012, 12:47:37 PM
The guys at 19Lights programmed a new cool method for dealing with real 32-bit HDR footage in After Effects and Premiere. It's a nice idea in my opinion because you don't need to render out .exr sequences anymore if you don't want to.

i just wana ask one query which the guy in tutorial didnt explain well
ist of all ... how he got two *.MOV files

KarateBrot

you mean the files at the beginning? it's just the raw HDR movie files you recorded in the camera. if you hit record in the camera you will get .mov files saved onto your SD card. if he had for example 5 .mov files in his directory he would get 5 .gnr files out of it

babarasghar

i asked same question to 18lights and the reply was
Quote19lights PLUS 7 hours ago
Hi Babar. There are two movie files because there were two separate shots. So it is correct that you only have one clip.

still confusing ... :)
so when we shoot a scene with ML loaded cam n then gt one fil of mov from cam thn how to process that on file ... rest workflow is right but this mystery of what to select in 2nd mov .... any random shot???

and this reply i have received

Quote"  Hi Babar. Sorry for the confusion. Just select the same shot for the first and last and it should work.

ilguercio

No, there are two movie files because there were two movies shot. Each HDR is composed of ONE mov file.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

Anton2707

Help! When launching merger an error ... Has anyone encountered similar?

KarateBrot

like the error said: send it to the 19ligths support. maybe they can help. and i it solves the problem you might post the solution here :)

martareis

Hi,

Can anyone help me with Ginger installation process?

After installation I could launch the merger and create GNR files. The problems is to import those files into AE.

I got this error message:

Error running the QuickTime server. Make sure that GingerWrapper-PRM-Win64 and GingerQTServer-dont-run-me.exe are in the same directory and are extracted from the .zip file.

:-\

Rehaan

@ martareis - here's how to fix your issue:

1) After you downloaded the Ginger HDR file from their website, you need to unzip it.

2) The resultant folder then has a few sub folders :
/Ginger-HDR-Adobe-Win32/  ---  Open this folder if you are on a 32-bit OS
/Ginger-HDR-Adobe-Win64/  ---  Open this folder if you are on a 64-bit OS
etc.

3) Copy all the files in that folder (except the "PRM" file if it exists)

4) Navigate to your After Effects plugin directory. Usually :
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS5.5\Support Files\Plug-ins\Effects

5) Paste the files there

6) Go back to the unzipped folder. Find "LicenseManager.exe" and run it

7) Open AE -- and you should be all set.

FYI - There is also a "README-Instructions.txt" file in the unzipped folder that should cover this  :P

cya
R

martareis

I did all the above steps before the error.
The problem was importing the GNR files but it's now solved thanks to 19lights support.
;)
Thx

ilguercio

Hi guys, i got Ginger HDR as well but could not make a good use of it because i have a 50D so i can get 30fps maximum and After Effects is too complicated and hardware stressing for my laptop.
Is there a simple way to complete the work in another editor instead of After Effects or FCP? Also, how to interpolate the frames so i can still get 30 fps?
I'm on windows, obviously.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.

martareis

Ginger it's a plugin for AE. It wont work with another software.

With 60fps footage converted to 30 it's much more stable. You are reduced to 720p but its a wise choice.

ilguercio

Quote from: martareis on September 08, 2012, 04:09:41 PM
Ginger it's a plugin for AE. It wont work with another software.

With 60fps footage converted to 30 it's much more stable. You are reduced to 720p but its a wise choice.
No 720p as in 5DII :)
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.

Rehaan

Quote from: ilguercio on September 08, 2012, 01:11:06 PM
Is there a simple way to complete the work in another editor instead of After Effects or FCP? Also, how to interpolate the frames so i can still get 30 fps?

See the attached video in the first post.

Roughly, what you need to do is run "Merger".

Choose to export "Magic Lantern HDR" (NOT the 'wrapper' option -- in other words, the old workflow).

Choose "Merger Type = Full speed" (This will ensure the output stays the same as the input 30 fps)

Run it.

You should get a resultant EXR sequence which should (?) open in another editor of your choise. (Make sure you use/set the sequence as 16-bits per channel to get the full dynamic range)

cya
R

ilguercio

Even Virtual Dub?
I am using the premade package of December but it doesn't work well and i don't know why.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.

Anton2707

Quote from: Anton2707 on August 17, 2012, 06:48:35 PM
Help! When launching merger an error ... Has anyone encountered similar?

Hi! Since then it's been a few months, and the support did not answer ... This error appeared after upgrading the computer, and reinstall the OS does not helped ...
There is an analogy who would create 32-bit images?
Sorry for offtop ;)

Rehaan

Quote from: Anton2707 on December 04, 2012, 08:07:15 PM
Hi! Since then it's been a few months, and the support did not answer ...

Write to them again. Maybe they missed your mail. Do give clear details on when it was working, what changed and what you did about it.

I've had very good experienced with writing to them (even though i was using the trial version) - so i suggest you give it another shot.

cya
R

Anton2707

I have solve problem when merger not start.
You need make new folder "19lights" in My documents.   :D

tazztone

anyone still uses ginger HDR? using the "merger-win64" software that comes with it for my ML HDR videofile (alternating ISO frames/ blinking), it never gets beyond "initializing quicktime file", seems stuck. any ideas why?
i use win10 x64 and want to get the video into adobe AE in order to be able to do tonemapping with the ginger hdr plugin. cheers
or is this thread about dual_ISO raw HDR?