Help uninstalling ML v2.3

Started by biggles, October 18, 2016, 12:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggles

Hello, I am selling a 500D with ML v2.3 on it, and I want to put it back to default factory settings first, including turning off the boot flag.

I've read the FAQ and Install Guide, and I have some questions about the procedure...

1. Do I need to run the Clear settings menu command first before uninstalling? It says to do before installing, but doesn't say whether to do it before uninstalling.

2. It seems if I want to uninstall ML from the camera (turn off the boot flag again), I need to leave ML on the card and then run the Canon Firmware update from the menu. Does that process *also* format the card to remove ML from the card, or do I need to do that as a next step by doing the Format card -> Remove ML option? The guide isn't 100% clear. If I have to do the Format card option myself, do I do it immediately after running the Canon Firmware update process to remove ML from the camera, or do I reboot (turn off and back on) first?

3. Do I need to use the EOSCard utility at all?

4. How do I know afterwards that the boot flag is turned off correctly, and that the camera is fully back to factory defaults - is there any way to check?

Thank you.

Frarike

Quote from: biggles on October 18, 2016, 12:59:23 PM
Hello, I am selling a 500D with ML v2.3 on it, and I want to put it back to default factory settings first, including turning off the boot flag.

I've read the FAQ and Install Guide, and I have some questions about the procedure...

1. Do I need to run the Clear settings menu command first before uninstalling? It says to do before installing, but doesn't say whether to do it before uninstalling.

2. It seems if I want to uninstall ML from the camera (turn off the boot flag again), I need to leave ML on the card and then run the Canon Firmware update from the menu. Does that process *also* format the card to remove ML from the card, or do I need to do that as a next step by doing the Format card -> Remove ML option? The guide isn't 100% clear. If I have to do the Format card option myself, do I do it immediately after running the Canon Firmware update process to remove ML from the camera, or do I reboot (turn off and back on) first?

3. Do I need to use the EOSCard utility at all?

4. How do I know afterwards that the boot flag is turned off correctly, and that the camera is fully back to factory defaults - is there any way to check?

Thank you.

1. It doesn't say anything for uninstalling because you don't need to but would help for getting it back to factory

2. Format it after in camera

3. yes

4. You don't know
70D.112

biggles

Thank you for your reply. What do I need to do with EOSCard? It doesn't say to do anything with it in the uninstall section of the Guide, but it has a screenshot of the utility near that section, at the side. So I wondered why it was there.

Frarike

70D.112

a1ex

I'd say:

1. optional, but it's a good idea (long answer)
2. you don't *have* to format the card, but after uninstalling, you can do whatever you wish
3. no
4. with a bootable card, ML won't load, and camera should work as before.

Note: uninstallation doesn't guarantee there will be absolutely no trace of ML left. For example, some models keep the last error log saved in the ROM, and this might include hints about ML. Or there might be hidden settings (such as the 50D movie recording feature) enabled in some unused property blocks in the ROM (Canon code saves all settings in the flash ROM, but they don't use the same memory address every time; instead, there appears to be some wear leveling - they have multiple copies of the settings, and only one block is active). There seems to be some error history as well, but I don't know where it's saved. There are other nonvolatile memories as well, besides the flash ROM (MPU EEPROM, serial flash on some models, who knows what else).

But for practical purposes, it should be fine.

biggles

Ok, I got it working thanks. It confirmed the bootflag was now turned off, which was good.